[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Getting files from SIMTEL -> Unix

mday@iconsys.UUCP (Matthew T. Day) (11/19/89)

I am having some problems with the archives found on wsmr-simtel20.army.mil.
I am using a Vax BSD 4.3 system to d/l files from SIMTEL.  What I am doing
is logging into SIMTEL via ftp as "anonymous".  I proceed as instructed
by the SIMTEL documentation to "type tenex".  ftp enters this mode just fine.
I then simply d/l the files I want via the "get" command in ftp.  They
transfer to my system just fine.  The files I am dealing with are .ARC files
in the pd1:<msdos.xxx> directory.  When I finish d/l'ing them, I try to use
the Unix arc program (ARC 5.21 Patchlevel 2) to extract the files.  This ARC
program says the archives are corrupt.  I have noticed that ARC 5.21 sometimes
only says the .EXE files in the .ARC file are corrupt, but I have also
had archives where ARC claimed the .DOC files were bad.

What is my problem?  Am I d/l'ing files from SIMTEL in the wrong mode??
Please email any comments/answers you may have.
| Matthew T. Day, Sanyo/Icon International, Orem, UT (801) 225-6888   |
| Unix System Programmer, ..!uunet!iconsys!mday (mday@iconsys.uu.net) |

simmons@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (James Simmons) (11/22/89)

In article <426@iconsys.UUCP> mday@iconsys.UUCP (Matthew T. Day) writes:
>I am having some problems with the archives found on wsmr-simtel20.army.mil.
>[...] The files I am dealing with are .ARC files
>in the pd1:<msdos.xxx> directory.  [...] I try to use
>the Unix arc program (ARC 5.21 Patchlevel 2) to extract the files.  This ARC
>program says the archives are corrupt.  I have noticed that ARC 5.21 sometimes
>only says the .EXE files in the .ARC file are corrupt, but I have also
>had archives where ARC claimed the .DOC files were bad.

I have had the same problem with not only .ARC files, but with .zoo files
emailed to me by bao. (Sorry bao, I lost your email address.) In my case,
it is always the LAST archive entry that is corrupted.  Each of these bad
entries has a CRC error.

I looked at the SIMIBM.ARC sections after splitting the file, and noticed
the corruption was the string "usr" repeated to the end of the file.  As
it happens, "usr" is a group name on the system I am using, of which I am
a member.  Perhaps in my case, email picked up the string in uucp's memory
space and thought it was data.

Anyone out there have a better idea of what is happening to us?

President: NCR PC User Group, Inc. | International Association of PC User Groups
           101 Whitehorse Road     | Same Address
           Lexington, SC 29072     |