[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] FRAINT10.ARC @ SIMTEL20

a864@mindlink.UUCP (Jono Moore) (11/20/89)

Would it be possible for someone to re-upload this file to SIMTEL?

It is in PD1:<MSODS.GRAPHICS> and the archive is corrupt (just the .EXE file
naturally :-) ).  I've tried downloading it three times now so I know it isn't
me screwing up the xfer.

I really wanna get ahold of this program :-)

Thanx in advance.

[If you need to mail me use my Bitnet address. Thanx.]
--
---===>   Jono  Moore   <===---| He who has had has been.  But he who
{a864,Jono_Moore}@mindlink.UUCP|      has not been has been had.

ron@woan.austin.ibm.com (Ronald S. Woan) (11/21/89)

In article <716@mindlink.UUCP>, a864@mindlink.UUCP (Jono Moore) writes:
> It is in PD1:<MSODS.GRAPHICS> and the archive is corrupt (just the .EXE file
> naturally :-) ).  I've tried downloading it three times now so I
isn't
I got it a couple of weeks ago, and it works fine for me! Try again.

						Ron

+ Ronald S. Woan  (IBM VNET)WOAN AT AUSTIN, (AUSTIN)ron@woan.austin.ibm.com +
+ outside of IBM       @cs.utexas.edu:ibmaus!auschs!woan.austin.ibm.com!ron +
+ last resort                                        woan@peyote.cactus.org +

hartung@amos.ling.ucsd.edu (Jeff Hartung) (11/22/89)

In article <716@mindlink.UUCP> a864@mindlink.UUCP (Jono Moore) writes:
>Would it be possible for someone to re-upload this file to SIMTEL?
>
>It is in PD1:<MSODS.GRAPHICS> and the archive is corrupt (just the .EXE file
>naturally :-) ).  I've tried downloading it three times now so I know it isn't
>me screwing up the xfer.

I have downloaded and extracted (successfully) both FRAINT10.ARC and
FRASRC10.ARC (which contains the C source code to fractint 10).  However, I
did notice that two of the files (the executable and doc file, I think) were
"squashed", which some ARC extractors can't handle.  Perhaps this is your
problem.  If not this, when you are downloading to your PC, are you setting
the transfer to 'binary' mode and using parity set to 8 data bits and no
parity bits?  This may also be the source of the problem.

(By the way, I am THRILLED to find that this version has a file called
yourvid.c, which allows the user to write routines to use a video mode that
may not be in the program like I have.  :-)  Now I can use that ATI Graphics
Solution 640x200x16 mode with fractint instead of the (Ugh!  Bleech!) CGA
320x200x4 color mode.  What a difference!)

 --Jeff Hartung--
 Disclaimer: My opinions only, etc., etc., BLAH! BLAH! BLAH!...
 ARPA - hartung@amos.ucsd.edu
 UUCP - ucsd!amos.ucsd.edu!hartung

ben@val.com (Ben Thornton) (11/22/89)

a864@mindlink.UUCP (Jono Moore) writes:

>Would it be possible for someone to re-upload this file to SIMTEL?

>It is in PD1:<MSODS.GRAPHICS> and the archive is corrupt (just the .EXE file
>naturally :-) ).  I've tried downloading it three times now so I know it isn't
>me screwing up the xfer.

I successfully obtained a copy of FRAINT10.ARC from the RPIECS.BITNET
archive server last week.
--

Ben Thornton             packet:  WD5HLS @ KB5PM   Internet:  ben@val.com
Video Associates Labs      uucp:  ...!cs.utexas.edu!val!ben

a864@mindlink.UUCP (Jono Moore) (11/22/89)

> hartung writes:
>
> Msg-ID: <7495@sdcsvax.UCSD.Edu>
>
> Org.  : Univ. of Calif., San Diego
> Person: Jeff Hartung
>
> I have downloaded and extracted (successfully) both FRAINT10.ARC and
> FRASRC10.ARC (which contains the C source code to fractint 10). However, I
> did notice that two of the files (the executable and doc file, I think) were
> "squashed", which some ARC extractors can't handle.  Perhaps this is your
> problem.  If not this, when you are downloading to your PC, are you setting
> the transfer to 'binary' mode and using parity set to 8 data bits and no
> parity bits?  This may also be the source of the problem.
>
>  --Jeff Hartung--
>  Disclaimer: My opinions only, etc., etc., BLAH! BLAH! BLAH!...
>  ARPA - hartung@amos.ucsd.edu
>  UUCP - ucsd!amos.ucsd.edu!hartung

Everything unpacked from the archive fine except for the .EXE file.  I've
downloaded other programs from SIMTEL and they've turned out fine - so I can't
figure out what is going wrong.

I'm using the latest version of PKPAK/PKUNPAK so it isn't that either.

Thanx for the comments :-)
--
---===>   Jono  Moore   <===---| He who has had has been.  But he who
{a864,Jono_Moore}@mindlink.UUCP|      has not been has been had.
usernk1z@cc.sfu.ca (Bitnet)    |-------------------------------------
(604) 983-3189 (voice)         |
(604) 983-3546 3/12/2400 24hrs (A Progressive Link BBS - MSDOS only)

a864@mindlink.UUCP (Jono Moore) (11/22/89)

> ben writes:
>
> Msg-ID: <1989Nov21.214806.17445@val.com>
>
> Org.  : Video Associates Labs, Inc.
> Person: Ben Thornton
>
> a864@mindlink.UUCP (Jono Moore) writes:
>
> I successfully obtained a copy of FRAINT10.ARC from the RPIECS.BITNET
> archive server last week.
> --
>
> Ben Thornton             packet:  WD5HLS @ KB5PM   Internet: ben@val.com
> Video Associates Labs      uucp:  ...!cs.utexas.edu!val!ben
> Austin, TX              fidonet:  1:382/40 - The Antenna Farm BBS

Ok, thanx, I'll give that site a try.
--

mlord@bmers58.UUCP (Mark Lord) (11/23/89)

In article <716@mindlink.UUCP> a864@mindlink.UUCP (Jono Moore) writes:
>Would it be possible for someone to re-upload this file to SIMTEL?
>
>It is in PD1:<MSODS.GRAPHICS> and the archive is corrupt (just the .EXE file
>naturally :-) ).  I've tried downloading it three times now so I know it isn't
>me screwing up the xfer.

Hope you haven't bet any $$$ on this.

I have downloaded and run the software in PD1:<MSODS.GRAPHICS>FRAINT10.ARC
without any troubles at all.  Works great!!

-Mark
--
+-------------------------------------+----------------------------+
| Mark S. Lord                        | Hey, It's only MY opinion. |

a864@mindlink.UUCP (Jono Moore) (11/23/89)

> mlord writes:
>
> Msg-ID: <545@bmers58.UUCP>
>
> Org.  : Bell-Northern Research, Ottawa, Canada
> Person: Mark Lord
>
> In article <716@mindlink.UUCP> a864@mindlink.UUCP (Jono Moore) writes:
> >Would it be possible for someone to re-upload this file to SIMTEL?
> >
> >It is in PD1:<MSODS.GRAPHICS> and the archive is corrupt (just the .EXE file
> >naturally :-) ).  I've tried downloading it three times now so I know it
> isn't
> >me screwing up the xfer.
>
> Hope you haven't bet any $$$ on this.
>
> I have downloaded and run the software in PD1:<MSODS.GRAPHICS>FRAINT10.ARC
> without any troubles at all.  Works great!!
>
> -Mark
> --
> +-------------------------------------+----------------------------+
> | Mark S. Lord                        | Hey, It's only MY opinion. |
> | utgpu!bnr-vpa!bnr-fos!mlord%bmers58 | Feel free to have your own.|
> +-------------------------------------+----------------------------+

Well, I've now tried more than six times to get it (lost count)... each time
the archive is OK except for the .EXE file....

Does anyone know of another site where this can be found?
--

richard@pantor.UUCP (Richard Sargent) (11/24/89)

> From: a864@mindlink.UUCP (Jono Moore)
> Subject: FRAINT10.ARC @ SIMTEL20
> Date: 19 Nov 89 21:18:02 GMT
>
> Would it be possible for someone to re-upload this file to SIMTEL?
>
> It is in PD1:<MSODS.GRAPHICS> and the archive is corrupt (just the .EXE file
> naturally :-) ).  I've tried downloading it three times now so I know it isn't
> me screwing up the xfer.

FRAINT10 is NOT corrupt. I pulled of the .rpi. list server with no
problem what-so-ever. You download procedure is suspect.

Richard Sargent                   Internet: richard@pantor.UUCP
Systems Analyst                   UUCP:     uunet!pantor!richard

kevin@kosman.UUCP (Kevin O'Gorman) (11/27/89)

In article <35.UUL1.3#5109@pantor.UUCP> richard@pantor.UUCP (Richard Sargent) writes:

>> Would it be possible for someone to re-upload this file to SIMTEL?
>>
>> It is in PD1:<MSODS.GRAPHICS> and the archive is corrupt (just the .EXE file
>> naturally :-) ).  I've tried downloading it three times now so I know it isn't
>> me screwing up the xfer.
>>

>FRAINT10 is NOT corrupt. I pulled of the .rpi. list server with no
>problem what-so-ever. You download procedure is suspect.

Let me step in to defend this guy.

I have been downloading from SIMTEL for a short while now, and I have found
it very frustrating.  I am using the trickle server, because I have only
mail connection, which adds to my troubles, but that's not really my main
gripe.

Everything I get that is uuencoded has a broken checksum character.  Every
line ends with "M" where a varying checksum would be expected.  Thus,
while uudecode sometimes makes a correct archive I have to deal with an
error message for every line.

I generally expect to make a request three or four times before I get
all the parts and a useable archive.  I do not vary my procedure for doing
this, but I have to space the requests to one per day for most things,
because of the limits imposed by the trickle server.

I have not identified the problems with the trickle server replies, but
as I said, I have not been varying my procedures; the stuff arrives
broken more often than not.  Since it eventually arrives useable, I
assume that it is not broken at SIMTEL, but this does not help me a lot.

taine@bibs.FIDONET.ORG (Taine Gilliam) (11/27/89)

In a message of <Nov 26 10:22>, Jono Moore (1:372/42) writes:

 >Does anyone know of another site where this can be found?
 >--

the original can be found in the PICS forum on Compuserve.

it is packed as a self-extract LHArc. does SIMTEL have a policy of converting
everything to ARC? and if so what version(5.12, 6.0, pk...)?

taine

--
Taine Gilliam - at FidoNet node 1:372/42 w/ Magpie BBS
UUCP: uunet!bibs!taine