[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Re^2:

bluguras@csi.forth.gr (Blougouras Dimitris) (11/27/89)

First of all, thank for the replies.
I must have said a few thinks before:
- Cache size = 1024 kbytes
- Ram disk = 512 kbytes,
so size is NOT the problem.

I set the environmental variable TMP equal to D:\ for the compiler intermediate
files to be written on, in order to speed up compiling, as the C manual writes.

The NEW stuff now is the following, which I have overloked and is a simple one.

Pay attention to what happens during the compiling:

RECORDER 1.0 (c) 1988 Ziff Communications Co.
PC Magazine ~ Tom Kihlken

   File Name  Total   Read  Write   EXEC
    WFCL.LIB     96     96      0      0
      RV.OBJ     95     12     83      0
    WFDL.LIB     88     88      0      0
      C1.ERR     74     74      0      0
  LLIBCE.LIB     29     29      0      0
      RV.EXE     21      0     21      0
     WFC.H       18     18      0      0
MSCXBTRV.OBJ     12      2     10      0
WFC_GLOB.H        9      9      0      0
      RV.C        8      8      0      0
ATT_GLOB.H        8      8      0      0
WFC_DEFS.H        7      7      0      0
WFC_XTRN.H        7      7      0      0
WFD_DEFS.H        7      7      0      0
WFD_GLOB.H        7      7      0      0
WFD_XTRN.H        6      6      0      0
COMPUTER.H        5      5      0      0
 WN_MSGD.H        5      5      0      0
   STDIO.H        4      4      0      0
WFD_STRU.H        4      4      0      0
     WFD.H        3      3      0      0
WFC_COMP.H        3      3      0      0
WFC_STRU.H        3      3      0      0
  STRING.H        3      3      0      0
MSCXBTRV.C        3      3      0      0
       G.BAT      2      2      0      0
   QCCOM.EXE      2      0      0      2
   LLIST.H        2      2      0      0
 DEF_ATT.H        2      2      0      0
     QCL.EXE      1      0      0      1
    LINK.EXE      1      0      0      1
    XRAY.         1      1      0      0
RECORDER.COM      1      0      0      1

Notice the number of times the OBJ's and EXE's are written, and since the cache
is write through, ....

So, to improve compiling speed, I write the OBJ's and EXE's to the ramdisk
using the appropriate parameters in the command line of C compiler.
I also run the cache, and a see the disk light to be on for quite a little time.
(How about speeding up the 6 MHz CPU? :-) )
Dimitris "Blue Grass" Bluguras, Heraklion Crete, Greece
UUCP  : ...!mcvax!ariadne!bluguras  -  BITNET : bluguras@csi.forth.gr

16012_3045@uwovax.uwo.ca (Paul Gomme) writes:

>In article <638@ariadne.csi.forth.GR>, bluguras@csi.forth.gr (Blougouras Dimitris) writes:
>> Problem : CACHE programs.
>Is there any reason why you tried to send follow-ups to comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d?
>They really don't belong there.

1. Please read some new stuff about it in the WRONG group comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d

2. Sorry for the posting there, but it is the First time I post, and so...

3. Thanks for the answers