[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] WANTED: PD tr lookalike available?

rac@sherpa.uucp (Roger Cornelius) (11/28/89)

Does anyone know of a PD lookalike of the Unix tr program?  I
couldn't find anything on uunet.  I remember seeing something
like this on CIS (called translit I think) a couple of years
ago, but I no longer have an account there.  C source is
preferable but an MSDOS binary is OK too.  Is there anything
like this on SIMTEL?

Thanks.
--
Roger A. Cornelius           rac@sherpa            uunet!sherpa!rac

fredex@cg-atla.UUCP (Fred Smith) (11/29/89)

In article <184@sherpa.uucp> rac@sherpa.uucp (Roger Cornelius) writes:
>Does anyone know of a PD lookalike of the Unix tr program?
>Roger A. Cornelius           rac@sherpa            uunet!sherpa!rac

There is a set of unix-like utilities, written by Allen Holub, and available
from M&T Publishing (publishers of Dr. Dobbs Journal). The package costs around
forty dollars, and includes a book describing the usage of the prgrams, and
the SOURCE and executables. The book also describes the workings of each
program, particularly the major subroutines of which they consist. I have been
using it now for several years, and find it to be a good solid package.

Anyway, to answer the poster's original question, one of the utilities provided
is a version of tr.

Fred Smith
P.S.
I have no affiliation with either the author or the publisher of these things.