[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Backups, Problems with Fastback

jansson@uwovax.uwo.ca (12/01/89)

  yap@me.utoronto.ca (Davin Yap) writes:
>>I use Fastback Plus (2.08) to back-up my hard disk, using 720K disks as
>>1.44 Meg disks.  I use both the compression and error-correction options.

>and  malpass@vlsi.ll.mit.edu (Don Malpass) replies:
>Date: 30 Nov 89 14:36:39 GMT
>Fastback-Plus: Have you also used the "Check" or "File Compare" option
>(I can't remember the exact name) in the Restore menu on your backup
>disks?  I just went through this exercise using HD (not 2D!) disks at
>1.44 Megs, and the results were an eye-opener!  This was on a Zenith
>286 SuperSport Laptop, which after a call to the Fastback hotline I
....[discription of problems with 5 or six files out of 8 meg of data]

I did also experience some problems with Fastback on my 386 clone.
After doing weekly backups for half a year I finally got around to
checking (using the compare option) up on one set of my backupdisks.
And just like Don I found that there were compare errors with some
files.  I used 1.2 disks for backing up to though.

Another complain I had with Fastback was that it does not operate well
(read: not at all) in the background under Desqview.

What I ended up doing was to write a little batchfile which:
1. Compresses the files in the subdirectories I usually backup.
2. Transfers the files to my floppy drive using xcopy with the /s/m
   parameters.

The benefit of this to me is that I can do this in the background and it
creates subdirectories on my backup disks which allows an easy check to see
which subdirectories have been backed up.

If anyone is interested I'd be happy to pass this little batch file on.
It uses PKPAK361, ATTR.exe (from pc-mag) and XCOPY from DOS 3.3
You will have to tell me how though, I have never transfered files over the
net.

Mikael Jansson, Department of Sociology, University of Western Ontario
Jansson@UWOVAX.UWO.CA