[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Looking for good windowing / user interface library

spolsky-joel@CS.Yale.EDU (Joel Spolsky) (11/29/89)

Greetings!

I am about to embark on a large programming project that will require
windows, pull-down menus, dialogue boxes, scroll bars, etc. etc. It
will have to work in text mode and be fully operable with either the
mouse or the keyboard.

Can anyone recommend a good toolkit or C library (suitable for
Turbo-C) that would handle this stuff? I don't relish the idea of
hacking out this stuff myself.

Any recommendations (or warnings) would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Joel

+----------------+----------------------------------------------------------+
|  Joel Spolsky  | bitnet: spolsky@yalecs.bitnet     uucp: ...!yale!spolsky |
|                | internet: spolsky@cs.yale.edu     voicenet: 203-436-1538 |
+----------------+----------------------------------------------------------+
                                                      #include <disclaimer.h>

atc@max.bnl.gov (Andrew Como) (11/30/89)

Try CXL 5.1

CXL Tech Support BBS (512) 590-0460.  Download a shareware version
for your compiler.  Try it out and only pay $35 if you like it.
(It's also on compuserve)

The library is extensive:
	Windows, Data entry forms, Mouse support, EMS support,
	Context sensitive help, Supports MGA/CGA/EGA/VGA/Desqview,
	keyboard management, file encryption and tons of other goodies.

You can also contact the writer:

Mike Smedley
P.O. Box 33603
San Antonio, TX 78265-3603

I am not affiliated with Mike Smedley in any way, except that I'm
using his product.. and compared to Greenleaf's Logicaal Windows ..or
WIndow's Boss it blows them out of the water, and is a fraction of
the cost.

Sanford Barr
sbarr@libserv1.ic.sunysb.edu

jrh@mustang.dell.com (jrh) (12/02/89)

In article <6930@cs.yale.edu>, spolsky-joel@CS.Yale.EDU (Joel Spolsky) writes:

> I am about to embark on a large programming project that will require
> windows, pull-down menus, dialogue boxes, scroll bars, etc. etc. It
> will have to work in text mode and be fully operable with either the
> mouse or the keyboard.
>
> Can anyone recommend a good toolkit or C library (suitable for
> Turbo-C) that would handle this stuff? I don't relish the idea of
> hacking out this stuff myself.

I understand that C-Scape from Oakland computing has a new release which
supports the mouse and added features.  I have used the old version, which
did not support the mouse.  They have a program called "Look and Feel" which
is a screen designer.  You draw the screen, with field specifiers, colors, etc
and the program generates the C source.  Quite a time saver.

| James R. Howard                | Insert Standard Disclaimer Here...    |
| cs.utexas.edu!dell!mustang!jrh |                                       |

wozniak@utkux1.utk.edu (Bryon Lape) (12/02/89)

>> I am about to embark on a large programming project that will require
>> windows, pull-down menus, dialogue boxes, scroll bars, etc. etc. It
>>
>> Can anyone recommend a good toolkit or C library (suitable for
>> Turbo-C) that would handle this stuff? I don't relish the idea of
>> hacking out this stuff myself.

	What you may wish to look at is the book titled, "User
Interfaces in C," by Mark Goodwin.  It is released by MIS press and
sells for $50 with the book and disk combination.  It includes source
code of all routines and explanations.  You will need access to an
assembler to compile some of the code and it includes batch files for
compiling all routines.  It supports several different compiles
including Turbo C.

-bryon-