[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Searching for but haven't found

jim@aeshq.UUCP (Jim Roberts) (12/01/89)

Okay, here's a catch all posting about files I am looking for but
cannot find.  Some of these seem pretty common, but have thus far
eluded me.

Anyone know where I can find or, how I can get the following?
(While reading these, please remember that I don't have ftp.)

A TSR that allows you to view screens that have already scrolled by.

A program which asks for another disk instead of the disk full error while
copying.  (Would it also allow you to copy a 600K file on 2 360 disks?)

MORERAM  I've heard about this here, and think I would find it useful.

STEVIE or another vi clone?

PCcurses  I've heard about this here, and would linke to find it.

A Unix like 'find' 'awk' and 'sed'

A shell other than COMMAND.COM?  (This includes 4DOS, but not exclusively)

The Interrupt List.  (Yes, the whole thing.  I remember asking about this
	before, but I still don't have it)  (How about the patch program
	for applying the diffs posted to update it?)

Lastly,

A news reader/mailer for the IBM XT/AT  (Currently I'm using rn and elm
on our HP9000 at work, but I'm not going to be here for ever.)
Let me know about what reader or mailer you are using, and let me know how
you like it, what it's features are, and how I can get it.

Surely you must be able to answer at least one of these questions?  (You
are reading this using some sort of news reader aren't you :-)
Usually my postings suffer from lack of answers, so press that Reply key now!!

Thanks (in advance)

  Jim Roberts

--
Jim Roberts {utgpu,mnetor}!geac!aeshq!jim |
Environment Canada                        |"Now that's entertainment!"

fredex@cg-atla.UUCP (Fred Smith) (12/02/89)

In article <342@aeshq.UUCP> jim@aeshq.UUCP (Jim Roberts) writes:
>A TSR that allows you to view screens that have already scrolled by.
I have seen, in years past, a program named BACKSCRL which remembered
some number of lines of data and allowed scrolling back thru it. It is a TSR. I
THINK it is shareware. Don't know where it can be obtained.

>A program which asks for another disk instead of the disk full error while
>copying.  (Would it also allow you to copy a 600K file on 2 360 disks?)
I have a version of cp which, when used with the -b (backup) switch will stop and
prompt you to change disks. It is available as part of Allen Holub's /util
package from M&T PUblishing. (The package comes with source and a book about the
tools and the routines used to create them, for around $40 U.S.)

>STEVIE or another vi clone?
MKS sells a reportedly good vi clone. Custom Software Systems also used to sell a very good
one, but they have gone out of business.

>PCcurses  I've heard about this here, and would linke to find it.
PCcurses 1.3 can be had from simtel20, among other places. I foudn my copy on
a local PC BBS system a year or so ago.

>A Unix like 'find' 'awk' and 'sed'
These tools are available from MKS also, along with a whole raft of other unix tools
for DOS. Russ Nelson (of Clarkson U.) also has written a good version of find, but
I don't know where it is currently available. I got mine from another local PC BBS
some time ago.

>A shell other than COMMAND.COM?  (This includes 4DOS, but not exclusively)
I am using Allen Holub's "Unix-like Shell", whose name is "sh". It is inspired
by (i.e., not identical to) the unix csh, but offers many useful features for the
DOS user, e.g., aliases, history, command-line editing of history list, a real
script language (subset of csh) with some nice features, allows use of the proper
slash in pathnames (as God intended) rather than the brain-damaged backslash which
DOS insists on, etc., etc. It is also available from M&T Publishing for about $40
including source and a good book describing usage and architure.

>The Interrupt List.  (Yes, the whole thing.  I remember asking about this
>	before, but I still don't have it)  (How about the patch program
>	for applying the diffs posted to update it?)
I`ve got verison 5/89 of it, but it is too dogone big to mail!

>  Jim Roberts
>
>--
>Jim Roberts {utgpu,mnetor}!geac!aeshq!jim |
>Environment Canada                        |"Now that's entertainment!"
>Atmospheric Environment Service           |                - G. Khan

Fred Smith
uunet!samsung!cg-atla!fredex

mbb@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (martin.b.brilliant) (12/02/89)

From article <342@aeshq.UUCP>, by jim@aeshq.UUCP (Jim Roberts):

> Anyone know where I can find or, how I can get the following?
>
> A TSR that allows you to view screens that have already scrolled by.

A TSR called BUFFIT came with the 44 free programs advertised by "The
Software Labs" (TSL) recently in Personal Computing.  I think the 44
free offer is gone, but BUFFIT is on one of their regular utility
disks.  Of course it fails when a program writes directly to the
screen.  And some programs mess up its memory.  Otherwise, it works.

> STEVIE or another vi clone?

A vi clone by Paul Vojta went by on comp.binaries.ibm.pc earlier this
year.  STEVIE is in SIMTEL.

> (While reading these, please remember that I don't have ftp.)

If you can get mail to listserv@vm1.nodak.edu you can get most of
what's at SIMTEL, including STEVIE.

Let me take this opportunity to thank Keith Peterson for correcting my
complaint that SIMTEL files are not accessible without ftp.  Actually,
my gratitude may be premature, as I have not yet succeeded in correctly
murmuring all the necessary invocations to get files.  But I've got
directory listings, and I'm optimistic.

M. B. Brilliant					Marty
AT&T-BL HO 3D-520	(201) 949-1858
Holmdel, NJ 07733	att!hounx!marty1 or marty1@hounx.ATT.COM

Disclaimer: Opinions stated herein are mine unless and until my employer
	    explicitly claims them; then I lose all rights to them.
Notice: Communication will cease 12/30/89 due to retirement.

mlord@bmers58.UUCP (Mark Lord) (12/05/89)

In article <342@aeshq.UUCP> jim@aeshq.UUCP (Jim Roberts) writes:
>Anyone know where I can find or, how I can get the following?
>(While reading these, please remember that I don't have ftp.)

Many of these can be gotten from SIMTEL20, using email.  See below.

>A TSR that allows you to view screens that have already scrolled by.
>
>A program which asks for another disk instead of the disk full error while
>copying.  (Would it also allow you to copy a 600K file on 2 360 disks?)
>
>MORERAM  I've heard about this here, and think I would find it useful.

Simtel20:   pd1:<msdos.sysutl>more1.arc

>STEVIE or another vi clone?

Simtel20:   pd1:<msdos.editor>stevie.arc

>PCcurses  I've heard about this here, and would linke to find it.

Simtel20:   pd1:<msdos.screen>pccurs13.arc
Also:       pd1:<msdos.screen>pcurses.arc

>A Unix like 'find' 'awk' and 'sed'

Simtel20:   pd1:<msdos.awk>awk210.arc
Also:       pd1:<msdos.awk>gawk210.arc

>A shell other than COMMAND.COM?  (This includes 4DOS, but not exclusively)

Simtel20:   pd1:<msdos.sysutl>4dos22.arc

>The Interrupt List.  (Yes, the whole thing.  I remember asking about this
>	before, but I still don't have it)  (How about the patch program
>	for applying the diffs posted to update it?)

Simtel20:   pd1:<msdos.sysutl>inter589.arc     (maybe a newer one by now)

>Lastly,
>
>A news reader/mailer for the IBM XT/AT  (Currently I'm using rn and elm
>on our HP9000 at work, but I'm not going to be here for ever.)
>Let me know about what reader or mailer you are using, and let me know how
>you like it, what it's features are, and how I can get it.

Simtel20:   pd1:<msdos.uucp>fsuucp1b.arc

>Surely you must be able to answer at least one of these questions?  (You
>are reading this using some sort of news reader aren't you :-)
>Usually my postings suffer from lack of answers, so press that Reply key now!!

Virtually anyone with email can get these by communicating with the LISTSERV
mailers.  In your case, send email to:   ..!utgpu!vm1.nodak.edu!listserv
with a message in the format:

	/pdget mail pd1:<msdos.editor>stevie.arc ( uuencode

This is a limit of something like 100000 bytes per day per user, double that
per node.  Have fun.

-Mark
--
+----------------------------------------+----------------------------+
| Mark S. Lord                           | Hey, It's only MY opinion. |

In article <587@bmers58.UUCP> mlord@bmers58.UUCP (Mark Lord) writes:
>>MORERAM  I've heard about this here, and think I would find it useful.
>
>Simtel20:   pd1:<msdos.sysutl>more1.arc
Ooops.. I actually meant:

	     pd1:<msdos.sysutl>moreram1.arc

>>A Unix like 'find' 'awk' and 'sed'

Simtel20:    pd1:<msdos.txtutl>sed.arc

--
+----------------------------------------+----------------------------+

rudd@cbnewsf.ATT.COM (j.a.rudd) (12/06/89)

In article <6223@cbnewsh.ATT.COM>, mbb@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (martin.b.brilliant) writes:

> > (While reading these, please remember that I don't have ftp.)
>
> If you can get mail to listserv@vm1.nodak.edu you can get most of
> what's at SIMTEL, including STEVIE.
>
> Let me take this opportunity to thank Keith Peterson for correcting my
> complaint that SIMTEL files are not accessible without ftp.  Actually,
> my gratitude may be premature, as I have not yet succeeded in correctly
> murmuring all the necessary invocations to get files.  But I've got
> directory listings, and I'm optimistic.
>
> M. B. Brilliant					Marty

I followed the "listserv" instructions Keith Peterson gave as a
followup to one of Marty's previous articles and not only have I
received directory listings but also several files. It works.

The only trap I fell into is that "wild cards" in file names only
works with the /PDDIR command, NOT the /PDGET command (I know, this
WAS in Keith's article but I forgot to re-read the article when
I first requested a multi-file product). A separate /PDGET command
is required for EACH file, but you can put multiple /PDGET lines
in your mail message (limit - 3 /PDGET requests per day per user).

There is a useful file in each product catagory directory with the
name of "00-INDEX.TXT" (I think thats right) that gives one liner
descriptions of all or most of the files. To request it for the
"msdos" "editor" directory, I used:

/PDGET MAIL PD:<MSDOS.EDITOR>00-INDEX.TXT TRANSLATE

since it is a text file. It arrived as mail in fine shape on
a UN*X system.

To get the "scanv49" product, I used:

/PDGET MAIL PD:<MSDOS.TROJAN-PRO>SCANV49.ARC UUENCODE

and it arrived 2 mail messages that I edited together, uudecoded,
shipped to my PC, and "pkxarc -e"ed successfully.

I am a delighted user of listserv@vm1.nodac.edu.

John Rudd, AT&T Bell Labs, ...!att!beehive!rudd