[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Looking for int-driven comm lib

rds95@leah.Albany.Edu (Robert Seals) (12/02/89)

Hello,

Is there a library of routines someplace (like simtel) for
doing interrupt driven i/o from the serial port on a
pc? Source would be great, assembly or C is fine.

rob

scott@csusac.csus.edu (L. Scott Emmons) (12/02/89)

In article <2217@leah.Albany.Edu> rds95@leah.Albany.Edu (Robert Seals) writes:
>Is there a library of routines someplace (like simtel) for
>doing interrupt driven i/o from the serial port on a
>pc? Source would be great, assembly or C is fine.

I also am interested, but only if it is a _COMPLETE_ library.  All of the
libraries I have seen have problems of some sort or another, or are incomplete
[ex: you can send a break, but not detect one].

--
			L. Scott Emmons
			uucp: ...[!ucbvax]!ucdavis!csusac!scott

atc@max.bnl.gov (Andrew Como) (12/06/89)

In article <1989Dec2.030507.21390@csusac.csus.edu> scott@csusac.UUCP (L. Scott Emmons) writes:
>In article <2217@leah.Albany.Edu> rds95@leah.Albany.Edu (Robert Seals) writes:
>>Is there a library of routines someplace (like simtel) for
>>doing interrupt driven i/o from the serial port on a
>>pc? Source would be great, assembly or C is fine.
>
>I also am interested, but only if it is a _COMPLETE_ library.  All of the
>libraries I have seen have problems of some sort or another, or are incomplete
>[ex: you can send a break, but not detect one].

	...Well, bar writing your own, the best package I've seen is
the Greenleaf Commlibs.

	Greenleaf list price is kinds steep ($399) but you can pick
it up from distributors for about $220 or so.

atc@max.bnl.gov

kds10773@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Ken S.) (12/06/89)

>>In article <2217@leah.Albany.Edu> rds95@leah.Albany.Edu (Robert Seals) writes:
>>>Is there a library of routines someplace (like simtel) for
>>>doing interrupt driven i/o from the serial port on a
>>>pc? Source would be great, assembly or C is fine.

There is a very complete interrupt and bios library available under
shareware (I think it's around $30).  It's part of the ProDoor system,
which is an enchancement of PcBoard, the BBS program.  I would guess
it's not available on the nets, but I know it's available all over the
US on BBS systems-- I had it on mine when I was running it.
The latest one I saw was version 2.8, written in Turbo Pascal 5.5.
Hope this helps...  The data number for the author of the Prodoor
package (Sam Smith) is:  The Toolshop BBS, (phoneix,Ariz) 279-2673.

   - Ken Stillson

jvb7u@astsun1.astro.Virginia.EDU (Jon Brinkmann) (12/07/89)

#
#I also am interested, but only if it is a _COMPLETE_ library.  All of the
#libraries I have seen have problems of some sort or another, or are incomplete
#[ex: you can send a break, but not detect one].

There is a serial driver available from the Tuzzo Engineering Assoc. bulletin
board ((508) 285-7240, settings N-8-1).  It was featured in the May 1989
issue of _Personal Engineering and Instrumentation News_, pages 53-60.
To access the code, from the main menu enter:
	J	(join a conference)
	4	(select the PE&IN conference)
	F	(read file directories)
	2	(select section with code listings, note desired filename)
	D	(download file)

The file is called ASYNCPEC...

Note:  I have downloaded this, but haven't had a chance to try it.  Let me
	know if you try it!

Jon Brinkmann					Astronomy Department
Internet:	jvb7u@Virginia.EDU		University of Virginia
UUCP:		...!uunet!virginia!jvb7u	P.O. Box 3818
SPAN/HEPnet:	6654::jvb7u			Charlottesville, VA 22903-0818