[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Trouble With Arced Simtel20 Files via LISTSERV

mbb@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (martin.b.brilliant) (12/06/89)

From article <5439@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM>, by simmons@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (James Simmons):
> .....   If you
> request archives from a LISTSERV server, or download from the binaries
> newsgroup, the file is usually split into pieces after it is uuencoded for
> transmission. .....  If you don't remove the headers
> and just save all the pieces to one file, you will have CRC errors in the
> archive.
>
> Believe me, I speak from experience!

I wrote a shell script to remove the "cut here" lines from uuencoded
pieces from the binaries newsgroup. It also verifies (before I
uudecode) that I have all the pieces, and creates a text file
containing the header of the first piece.  I used the same script on
the pieces from the LISTSERV server, and got errors in the archive.

WARNING: the "cut here" lines in the pieces from the server do not have
"cut here" in them!  The same automatic tools will not work without
modification!

Believe me, I speak from experience!

M. B. Brilliant					Marty
AT&T-BL HO 3D-520	(201) 949-1858
Holmdel, NJ 07733	att!hounx!marty1 or marty1@hounx.ATT.COM

Disclaimer: Opinions stated herein are mine unless and until my employer
	    explicitly claims them; then I lose all rights to them.
Notice: Communication will cease 12/30/89 due to retirement.

roy@comcon.UUCP (Roy M. Silvernail) (12/09/89)

In article <6297@cbnewsh.ATT.COM>, mbb@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (martin.b.brilliant) writes:

> I wrote a shell script to remove the "cut here" lines from uuencoded
> pieces from the binaries newsgroup. It also verifies (before I
> uudecode) that I have all the pieces, and creates a text file
> containing the header of the first piece.  I used the same script on
> the pieces from the LISTSERV server, and got errors in the archive.

The parts of a SIMTEL20 archive that I get from the vm1.nodak listserv
have headers similar to the c.p.i.b postings, but not exactly the same.

I wrote the following little script which seems to do a pretty good job
for me.

Cut here--cut here--cut here

cat $* | sed '/--- End /,/--- Part/d' | uudecode 2>err

cut again--cut again--cut again

stderr is redirected to err because of the particular flavor of uuencode
that the listserv uses. When I decode at my site, I get checksum errors
on every line, but the file is intact. (the files have M at the
beginning *and* end of each line) It's easier to tail err for any bad
conclusion messages than to watch 5000 lines of errors at 2400 bps, at
least for me ;-)

(Next project... patch uudecode to handle these files correctly, I
guess...)
--
_R_o_y _M_. _S_i_l_v_e_r_n_a_i_l  | UUCP: uunet!comcon!roy  |  "No, I don't live in an igloo!"
[ah, but it's my account... of course I opine!]           -Sourdough's riposte