[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] 1.2 Meg drive on XT

wooters@icsib13.berkeley.edu (Chuck Wooters) (12/12/89)

Hello-

I need a bit of advice on installing a 1.2 Meg drive on
my XT.  I have a 360k drive now and I want to put in a 1.2
Meg as drive A, with the 360k as drive B.

My floppy controller is on the same card as the clock/calendar,
the serial port and etc (i.e. the hard disk controller is
separate from the floppy disk controller.)

There is a cable connected to the back of the floppy disk
controller.  The cable has two adapters on it.  One of the
adapters has a twist in the wire, the other one doesn't.  (I
think the one with the twist is for drive A).
I connected the adapter with the twisted wires to
the 1.2 meg and the other adapter to the 360k.

The problem is that I get a general failure when I try to read
from the 1.2 Meg (drive A).  If I try to get a directory from
the 360k (drive B), it tries to read from the 1.2 Meg.  The
light never goes on on the 360k drive.

I hope this explanation is clear.  Thanks in advance for
your help.

-Chuck Wooters
wooters@icsi.berkeley.edu

huilin@hpindda.HP.COM (Hui-Lin Lim) (12/12/89)

Unless your PC's BIOS supports 1.2M floppies you'll need to get a
new floppy controller which has a ROM on board which provides the
support for the 1.2M drive.

In addition, you have to make sure that you've got the floppy
drives configured correctly so that they aren't clashing and that
the termination resistor pack is only installed on drive B.

Hope this helps

Hui-Lin Lim
ARPA: huilin%hpinddf@hplabs.hp.com
UUCP: {ucbvax,hplabs}!hpinddf!huilin
Phone:  (408)447-2835

doug@hokulea.hig.hawaii.edu (Doug Myhre) (12/13/89)

In article <20556@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> wooters@icsib13 (Chuck Wooters) writes:
>I need a bit of advice on installing a 1.2 Meg drive on
>my XT.  I have a 360k drive now and I want to put in a 1.2
>Meg as drive A, with the 360k as drive B.

You need a Advanced floppy disk drive controller to be able to use a 1.2Mb
floppy drive on a PC or XT.  The regular controllers won't handle 1.2Mb.
There is a article in Byte March '89 about doing this.

*=================================================*
*  Douglas Myhre   <doug@loihi.hig.hawaii.edu>    *
*  Hawaii Institute of Geophysics                 *
*  Research Computing Facility                    *
*  2525 Correa Rd.                                *
*  Honolulu, HI 96822       (808) 948-8713        *
*=================================================*

In article <20556@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> wooters@icsib13 (Chuck Wooters) writes:
>I need a bit of advice on installing a 1.2 Meg drive on
>my XT.  I have a 360k drive now and I want to put in a 1.2
>Meg as drive A, with the 360k as drive B.
>[info about problems deleted]
>wooters@icsi.berkeley.edu

Make sure that your floppy drive controller will handle the 1.2 M
drives.  Also, some early versions of DOS have problems with some drive
types, and you may need to install a device driver.

In the rare case that original ideas   Kenneth J. Hendrickson    N8DGN
are found here, I am responsible.      Owen W328, E. Lansing, MI 48825
Internet: kjh@usc.edu                  UUCP: ...!uunet!usc!pollux!kjh