[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Can anyone give me an idea what MINIX is for the PC?

netnews@psc90.UUCP (Remote mail paths) (12/16/89)

I have seen a lot of references for minix in public domain directories, but
before I download something so large, I would like to know what it does.

Thanks,

deryk

  \      ...Deryk C. Marien                                            /
   \     .  Plymouth State College, Computer Services                 /
    >----.  Plymouth, NH  03264 -------------------------------------<
   /     .  UUCP: !uunet!unhd!psc90!netnews or !dartvax!psc90!netnews \
  /.........BITNET: D_MARIEN@UNHH...COMPUSERVE (72701,2200)............\

czmurek@drunivac.uucp (12/17/89)

In article <1097@psc90.UUCP>, netnews@psc90.UUCP (Remote mail paths) writes:
> I have seen a lot of references for minix in public domain directories, but
> before I download something so large, I would like to know what it does.
>
> Thanks,
>
> deryk

Deryk:
	MINIX is a UNIX compatible operating system developed to serve
as an experimental tool and referrence for a book entitled, Operating
System Design and Implementation.  It is a strong operating system
(OS) and will run most UNIX programs.  It is function call compatible
with UNIX V.  I highly recommend this book as I have read it twice and
it has givn me much insight into the workings of UNIX and other
popular OS's.
	If you have any further questions, contact me directly...

-Chris