[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Problem with ZOO & DOS 4.01

larrys@hplsla.HP.COM (Larry Sanders) (12/06/89)

I have used zoo and zoox on my 386 machine, DOS 3.3 and it works flawlessly.
On my daughter's 386sx machine with DOS 4.01 zoo ( and zoox ) creates
zoo archives just fine.  The reverse is less reliable. Extracting
files it skips some - and says it is skipping them.  The same zoo
archive extracts correctly on my machine.

The version of zoo is, i think, 2.01.

Questions:
	Is this a problem with using zoo with DOS4.01?

	Does zoo work reliably on 386sx machines?

	Any suggestions?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  Larry C. Sanders
  Hewlett-Packard Co.           uucp:    hplabs!hplsla!larrys

  One cause of zoo skipping a file is if the file on the disk is newer
and the oo option has not been set. The question is, do the files
already exist (need o) and are they newer (need oo). Perhaps you're not
doing quite the same thing on each machine.

  It could be that there are no errors in zoo or DOS4.x, just a slightly
different set of conditions.
that the world is flat!" - anon

cur022@zodiac.ukc.ac.uk (Bob Eager) (12/08/89)

In article <470007@hplsla.HP.COM>, larrys@hplsla.HP.COM (Larry Sanders) writes:
> I have used zoo and zoox on my 386 machine, DOS 3.3 and it works flawlessly.
> On my daughter's 386sx machine with DOS 4.01 zoo ( and zoox ) creates
> zoo archives just fine.  The reverse is less reliable. Extracting
> files it skips some - and says it is skipping them.  The same zoo
> archive extracts correctly on my machine.

ZOO usually skips files if they are already present in the current directory.
I presume this is not the case here.

However, ZOO can be fooled (as can most other programs) by the use of APPEND or
something like DPATH, which provides a 'path' for searching for non-executable
files. It might then find the name somewhere along that path, assume (as it is
meant to) that the file already exists, and skip it.

---------------------+-----------------------------------------------------
Bob Eager            | University of Kent at Canterbury
rde@ukc.ac.uk        | +44 227 764000 ext 7589
---------------------+-----------------------------------------------------

hartung@amos.ling.ucsd.edu (Jeff Hartung) (12/12/89)

In article <9839@zodiac.ukc.ac.uk> cur022@zodiac.ukc.ac.uk (Bob Eager) writes:
<However, ZOO can be fooled (as can most other programs) by the use of APPEND or
<something like DPATH, which provides a 'path' for searching for non-executable
<files. It might then find the name somewhere along that path, assume (as it is
<meant to) that the file already exists, and skip it.

I had a device driver installed at boot time called CONFIGUR which allowed
boot time changes in config.sys.  Any time I tried to extract programs called
'CONFIG' or similar names, it would do what you are describing.

 --Jeff Hartung--
 Disclaimer: My opinions only, etc., etc., BLAH! BLAH! BLAH!...
 ARPA - hartung@amos.ucsd.edu
 UUCP - ucsd!amos.ucsd.edu!hartung

larrys@hplsla.HP.COM (Larry Sanders) (12/20/89)

Thanks for the sugestions. There was an APPEND in effect and that appears
to have caused the difficulty.

	Larry Sanders