[net.followup] SOtalk

ray@rochester.ARPA (Ray Frank) (05/10/86)

In article <319@chinet.UUCP>, tomj@chinet.UUCP (Tom) writes:
> Traditional American values have always been the values of money.  What was
> the American Revolution fought over?  Taxes.  (Render unto Caesar....)
> Regards.
> 	Tom

  Traditional American values have been many things, money being just one of
them.  Today though, money is the only think that seems to count.  Not that
the average person needs more money for necessities, unless they count that
second or third car, and that fifth TV, or that new boat to go with their
little cottage by the sea as necessities.  Or their kids decide that 150
toys for their birthday is not enough and they 'need' more to make them
happy.  I know a kid from an average income family who fully expects his
parents to get him a new bike each year to keep up with the styles.  When I
mentioned to him how ridiculous this sounded, he looked at me kind of strange,
and said-"But this bike is already eight months old."
  The American Revolution was fought so you could speak 'proper American
english' 200 years later, didn't you bloody know that matey?   It also was
fought so that we could pay taxes to a government who represented us rather
than to a bounch of tyrants who couldn't care less about us.
  But in any case, there can be no denial that something has changed with
regards to the value system that once existed and seemed to work much better
for society as a whole than does the one now.

ray (old fashioned and proud of it)