[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Boot PROM for diskless Personal Computers

dirk@dksoft.incom.de (Dirk Koeppen) (01/02/90)

in <5868@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> whelan@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu writes:
> Does anyone know of a boot ROM that will enable a machine to boot using
> TCP/IP?

We have a Boot PROM which fits into the 8 K-ROM socket of a Western Digital
WD8003e or 3Com 3c503 Ethernet controller. It allows to boot nearly every
software from a diskless IBM PC-AT or AT386 by dowloading the files from
a TCP/IP host.

On the host site we have an UDP/IP, ARP, BOOTP and TFTP running. When
switching on the PC, the Boot PROM finds out his IP and the location
from where to download by an BOOTP request. It downloads a diskette
image from the host by using the TFTP protcol. A RAM disk driver then
locks the physical drive A: and boots from the downloaded image. After
the bootstrap the aquired RAM space is freed and the phys. drive A:
is unlocked. The downloaded image consist of the 1:1 (packed and optimzed)
bitimage of a bootable MS-DOS disk containing the TCP/IP software you want
to run. The bootstap procedure takes about 5-10 seconds.

We use the Boot PROM in combination with Locus PC-Interface. It also
should work with Sun PC-NFS or KA9Q (net) which I have not tried out yet.

cu,
dirk@incom.de