[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Recent cbip submissions approved by SIMTEL20

frotz@drivax.UUCP (Frotz) (01/03/90)

I hate to raise the flag on this, especially given the high criticism
bandwidth in this group, but I would be very interested in the powers
that be who is moderating comp.binaries.ibm.pc.  Who the alternate
moderators are (if any) and what format these submissions will be in.

*	Until this last set of cpib postings, I thought that Rahul
	Dhesi was the cbip moderator.  Now I see that Keith Petersen
	is approving postings.  There has been no sound from Rahul for
	quiet some time.

Has there been some formal, semi-formal, informal change in the
moderation?  If so, who is now the moderator and what are the
submission addresses?  (RSVP: Keith or Rahul)

*	Given the Keith Petersen-approved postings, I notice that
	these postings are NOT using Rahul's tools (brik, zoo, etc...)
	I won't remind people of the flame wars that we had over
	choosing a format and I certainly don't want to have one
	startup again.  See comparison below.

Q:If Keith is now the moderator, perhaps he can describe his posting
format so that we can all obtain the appropriate tools.  (I can't
extract some of his .ARC archives on our BSD machine.)

Q:If Rahul is still the moderator, perhaps he can set forth the policy
and provide the tools to (any of) his sub-moderators.

*	Perhaps the comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d readership can come up with
	with what we want and possible provide shell scripts for Rahul
	to help automate the moderation process, rather than just sit
	around, waiting for the next binaries posting complaining...
	(uh..., errr...., yeah!-)

Rahul has put a number of very sophisticated tools in place to help
him moderate this group.  As always, however, the customer (us) wants
something more.  Among one of the things that I have seen requested a
number of times in this group is a weekly posting to (cbip or cbipd)
of the queued submissions.  Another thing that would be nice is a note
to cbipd about when cirrusl or dhesi will be down.

This is not meant as a criticism, but as a catalyst to focus our wants
and to control our featuritis so that we are not always wanting "yet
another feature."

Below is an example of the differences in mail headers:

)From: w8sdz@tacom-emh1.army.mil (Keith Petersen)
)Newsgroups: comp.binaries.ibm.pc
)Subject: fv124.arc, View dirs of ARC/DWC/LBR/LZH/PAK/ZIP/ZOO/SFXs
)Date: 31 Dec 89 16:28:32 GMT
)Sender: news@adm.BRL.MIL
)
)FV version 1.26 - Verbose Archive Directory Lister by Vernon Buerg
)
)FV displays the names and attributes of files contained within archive
)files with extensions of ARC, ZIP, PAK, DWC, LZH, ZOO, LBR and most
)self-extracting .COM and .EXE files created by ARC, ZIP, PAK, LZH.
)
)[This program was downloaded from Vernon Buerg's BBS. - KP]
)
)BEGIN---cut-here
)begin 644 fv126.arc
)...

]From: stevev@chemstor.uoregon.edu
]Newsgroups: comp.binaries.ibm.pc
]Subject: v05i114: pcnh3, PC nethack 3.0 patchlevel 3 (part 12/12)
]Date: 21 Dec 89 04:15:55 GMT
]Sender: news@cirrusl.UUCP
]
]Checksum: 2930588821  (Verify with "brik -cv")
]Posting-number: Volume 05, Issue 114
]Submitted-by: stevev@chemstor.uoregon.edu
]Archive-name: nethack3/part12
]
]nethack3 part12/12
]...

--Frotz @Digital Research, Incorporated		amdahl!drivax!frotz
	 70 Garden Court, B15			(408) 649-3896
	 Monterey, California  93940		Ask for John Fa'atuai