[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] MTE215.ZIP error correcting terminal emulation, shareware or not

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (01/03/90)

Some time ago there were queries about software error correction in
modem connections.  Recently I came upon such a program from
MagicSoft Inc.  The Program is called MTE, and it is an MNP5
terminal emulator.  The latest version I have seen in bulletin
boards is 2.10g distributed as mte215.zip.  It seems a very useful
program for users without an error correcting modem, and I would put
it for general download here at chyde.uwasa.fi, but I have very
serious doubts about it being shareware.  There are no shareware
notices included, and no documentation, either.  It you have any
relevant information, please let me (and the net know) by posting.
I do not want commercial software distributed, and I would like to
make sure one way or the other.

Prof. Timo Salmi                                (Site 128.214.12.3)
Internet: ts@chyde.uwasa.fi Funet: vakk::salmi Bitnet: salmi@finfun

djb@wjh12.harvard.edu (David J. Birnbaum) (01/04/90)

MTE is commercial.  It is not shareware.  The only version that has ever
been shareware is a two-year-old severely crippled demo (no file down-
is of no real use to anyone.

I called the company that distributes it when it surfaced on some BBSs
several months ago and they confirmed that it should not be posted to
any BBSs, archives, or anywhere else.

--David

David J. Birnbaum         djb@wjh12.harvard.edu [Internet]
                          djb@harvunxw.bitnet   [Bitnet]

dick@slvblc.UUCP (Dick Flanagan) (01/04/90)

In article <1990Jan3.124321.1309@uwasa.fi> ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) writes:
>I do not want commercial software distributed, and I would like to
>make sure one way or the other.

Yes, MTE is commercial software.  It is *not* shareware.  There is a ten-minute
demo running around that is legitimate, but it sounds like that is not what you
have.

Dick
--
Dick Flanagan, W6OLD, CFII, CFIG             Cherokee 235 N9212W
UUCP: ...!uunet!slvblc!dick                  GEnie: FLANAGAN