[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] SIMTEL Postings

mholtz@sactoh0.UUCP (Mark A. Holtz) (01/03/90)

I would prefer a weekly posting of new postings to SIMTEL rather
than every third message being a new SIMTEL post. This is not to
say I don't appreciate Keith's efforts . . . . I DO! But, I prefer
a more digestable format.

The only exception to the weekly postings would be a virus update .
. . .these don't deserve a weekly posting, they deserve a immediate
posting.

Maybe there should be a vote on this issue. . .
--
{ames att sun}!pacbell! \                 <-> America OnLine: Mark Holtz
        ucdavis!csusac! -> sactoh0!mholtz <=>       GEnie: M.HOLTZ

packer@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (Michael A Packer,Knapp Hall,,2928607) (01/03/90)

From article <2356@sactoh0.UUCP>, by mholtz@sactoh0.UUCP (Mark A. Holtz):
> I would prefer a weekly posting of new postings to SIMTEL rather
> than every third message being a new SIMTEL post. This is not to
> say I don't appreciate Keith's efforts . . . . I DO! But, I prefer
> a more digestable format.

I don't see anything wrong with Keith posting them when he gets them....
If you want to get one every week then why not just get the simibm.idx
file and run filedif on it....then you can have your weekly additions.

> The only exception to the weekly postings would be a virus update .
> .. . .these don't deserve a weekly posting, they deserve a immediate
> posting.
>
> Maybe there should be a vote on this issue. . .

   1 vote against this idea.
USMAIL:	318 Knapp Hall, WVU, Morgantown, WV 26506
PHONE:	304 293-3607
INTERNET : packer@a.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu
USENET:  {allegra,bellcore,ihpn4!cadre,decvax!idis,psuvax1}!pitt!wvucsa!packer

jfm@cs.odu.edu (John F. Mclaurin) (01/04/90)

In article <2356@sactoh0.UUCP> mholtz@sactoh0.UUCP (Mark A. Holtz) writes:
>I would prefer a weekly posting of new postings to SIMTEL rather
>than every third message being a new SIMTEL post. This is not to
>say I don't appreciate Keith's efforts . . . . I DO! But, I prefer
>a more digestable format.
I on the other hand would like to see them continue as they are.  I would
rather find out about a new program on simtel as soon as I could.  Also
remember there are people who use LISTSERV(or whatever) and have more limited
access than most do.  Jeez! don't apoligize for constructive criticism.
>The only exception to the weekly postings would be a virus update .
>. . .these don't deserve a weekly posting, they deserve a immediate
>posting.
I agree wholeheartedly with this and I would like to say thank you to all who
post these warnings.
>Maybe there should be a vote on this issue. . .
Nah.  We should just discuss it and work out an agreement.  Only if there is
a real flame fest should a vote be taken.
--

John F. McLaurin                 jfm@xanth.cs.odu.edu

lee@minnow.sp.unisys.com (Gene Lee) (01/04/90)

I have been trying to access SIMTEL by sending mail to:
mail listserv@vm1.nodack.edu

with a message body of:
/PDGET mail pd2:<msdos2.taxes>amtax89.arc uudecode

This is only one example of what i've tried.  Nothing i've sent
has even came back (not even a error mail).  What am i doing wrong?

w8sdz@eddie.mit.edu (Keith Petersen) (01/05/90)

In article <1651@minnow.sp.unisys.com> lee@minnow.UUCP (Gene Lee) writes:
>I have been trying to access SIMTEL by sending mail to:
>mail listserv@vm1.nodack.edu
                   ^^^^^^

Try listserv@vm1.nodak.edu, you misspelled it.  Please bear in mind that
the server may be a bit behind because of SIMTEL20 being down for four
days over the New Year's weekend.

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's CP/M, MSDOS, & MISC archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]

jwm@sppy00.UUCP (Jeff May) (01/05/90)

In article <1651@minnow.sp.unisys.com> lee@minnow.UUCP (Gene Lee) writes:
>I have been trying to access SIMTEL by sending mail to:
>mail listserv@vm1.nodack.edu
>
>with a message body of:
>/PDGET mail pd2:<msdos2.taxes>amtax89.arc uudecode
>
>This is only one example of what i've tried.  Nothing i've sent
>has even came back (not even a error mail).  What am i doing wrong?

  I too access the Simtel20 archives via listserv@vm1.nodack.edu (this
  is the only way I can do it ... no FTP or anything else).  I am
  able to get files from the PD1:<*> directories, but I CAN NOT get
  anything from the PD2:<*> or the PD3:<*> directories.  Does this
  server need to be updated?

  -Jeff
 Jeffrey May   {seismo|cbosgd}!osu-cis!sppy00!jwm -or- jwm@sppy00.UUCP
 OCLC - Online Computer Library Center
        Dublin, Ohio          "Heavens they're tasty and expeditious."

twb@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (thomas.w.beattie) (01/08/90)

In article <674@sppy00.UUCP> jwm@sppy00.UUCP (Jeff May) writes:
>  I am
>  able to get files from the PD1:<*> directories, but I CAN NOT get
>  anything from the PD2:<*> or the PD3:<*> directories.  Does this
>  server need to be updated?

I preceed the pd3: with pd: and it works. For example,

	To: listserv@vm1.nodak.edu

	/pdget pd:pd3:<misc.byte>BYTE89S.ARC

Also, note the correct spelling of the server in the address!

---
Tom Beattie
att!hoqaa!twb
t.w.beattie@att.com