[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] NETHACK posting

rsmith@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Rusty Smith, MACC) (12/19/89)

I have found comp.binaries.ibm.pc to be very valuable. Many of the
postings have very usefull tools. They are worth waiting for with
all of this years delays. However the first part of the 12 part
NETHACK arrived today. My 2 cents worth is that after long periods
of no postings, games should have a lower priority. This is not a
flame for R.D. I appreciate his testing and posting of these binaries.
Just speaking out on my personal priorities. Thanks R.D.

Rusty Smith			Internet:  rsmith@vms.macc.wisc.edu
MACC Data Communications	Bitnet:    rsmith@wiscmacc
(608)  263-6307			Univ. of Wisconsin @ Madison

fredf@microsoft.UUCP (Fred Freeland) (12/21/89)

I agree that a whopping 12 volume set of Nethack is NOT what the doctor
ordered after a long dry spell. Games, while nice diversions, do not get
most people that use this medium salivating.

I don't know. Maybe it's me. I just keep whining about it. We just continue
to be in the dark. We have no idea how long the queue is, or even if there is
one. We have no preview of coming attractions at all. We go for weeks without
a peep from the moderator. Rahul, perhaps you could be a little more forthcoming
about what's going on with c.b.i.p.  I think everyone would benefit and I'd
shut up.

--
Frederick F. Freeland Jr.                        "Of all the things I've lost,  Microsoft Corporation                               I miss my mind the most!"   One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052 (206) 882-8080                                                                                                                                internet: fredf@,microsoft.beaver.washington.EDU                                arpanet:  fredf%microsoft@uw-beaver.ARPA

winger@minnow.sp.unisys.com (Mark Winger) (12/21/89)

In article <2843@dogie.macc.wisc.edu> rsmith@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Rusty Smith, MACC) writes:
~However the first part of the 12 part
~NETHACK arrived today. My 2 cents worth is that after long periods
~of no postings, games should have a lower priority.  .....

This is the last straw for me, I can keep my opions to myself no longer.
I have been getting damn tired of the lack of activity in this group due
to reviewing/testing.  And then to have CRAP like this posted!
Believe it or not, we are big boys and girls out here, we know how to
look at software and decide whether its something we want.  Just the same,
I would not want my wife to go through my mail throwing away things she
didn't think I want (After taking two months to read it).  Take some lessons
from groups like the mac binaries group, 2-3 posting every DAY (Not every
MONTH).

I'm not trying to say the moderator is doing a bad job, just that he's
biting off more than one person can handle.  I'd be interested to know
what percentage of software actually does not meet his standards and
gets thrown away (I will never know what percentage of that I may have
found very useful).

--
Mark Winger               UUCP: ...!amdahl!ems!minnow!winger
Unisys Corporation               ...!ihnp4!meccts!ems!minnow!winger

karl@cbnewsi.ATT.COM (karl.r.barnhardt) (12/22/89)

> I'm not trying to say the moderator is doing a bad job, just that he's
> biting off more than one person can handle.
> --
> Mark Winger               UUCP: ...!amdahl!ems!minnow!winger

In addition to very sporatic postings to comp.binaries.ibm.pc, the
postings, when they come, are very unreliable. First there were the
missing parts to PC WRITE! Now the last piece of nethack is missing. My
news site only received the first 11. Where's number 12? What is the
problem with these postings? And why no response from the moderator?

Karl Barnhardt  ...!att!homxa!krb

person@plains.UUCP (Brett G. Person) (12/24/89)

I agree.  I don't even bother with c.b.i.p.c anymore.  I just read this
group for the postings by russ at clarkson and Kieth at simtel.  Thanks guys
for all the great software!  guess I'm pretty lucky to have ftp access.

--
Brett G. Person
North Dakota State University

fmk@nesac2.att.com (Mike Knox) (12/25/89)

Hi,
	I too am frustrated with the lack of reliability of the
postings on c.b.i.p.. There has got to be more than a few out there
that are missing NETHACK 3.pl3 part 12. If the person who is going
to email NETHACK part 12 would just repost it on the net, we won't
have to read 6 million pleas for a repost. Just post it again and
get it over with.

P.S. Consider this plea 6,000,001

				Mike
				(att!nesac2!fmk)

*   JOHN GALT, WHERE ARE YOU WHEN WE NEED YOU MOST!   *

benfeen@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Ben Feen) (12/26/89)

Help!   I didn't catch the nethack posting early enough, and now 1-9 are gone.  When part 12 comes in, would some kind soul email me the entirety of the uuencofded game?  Unfortunately, my site doesn't have ftp. :-(
benfeen@ddsw1.mcs.com

--
|Opus and Frodo live! | "Sometimes, when your cat just died and you've cut
off your favorite appendage(s) with a power saw and there's epoxy in the
Visine and you brush your teeth with Clearasil it helps to say 'What the
f*ck'" |  This signature consists of non-blanks separated by blanks.

russ@hp-lsd.COS.HP.COM (Russell Johnston) (12/28/89)

>> I'm not trying to say the moderator is doing a bad job, just that he's
>> biting off more than one person can handle.
>> --
>> Mark Winger               UUCP: ...!amdahl!ems!minnow!winger

>In addition to very sporatic postings to comp.binaries.ibm.pc, the
>postings, when they come, are very unreliable. First there were the
>missing parts to PC WRITE! Now the last piece of nethack is missing. My
>news site only received the first 11. Where's number 12? What is the
>problem with these postings? And why no response from the moderator?
>
>Karl Barnhardt  ...!att!homxa!krb
>----------

We also did not receive nethack part 12.  While I agree that I would
rather have utilities than games, when something is posted, I would
like to get all the parts!

heiby@falkor.UUCP (Ron Heiby) (12/28/89)

I would greatly appreciate it if NO ONE were to email nethack to
benfeen@ddsw1.mcs.com, at least not via mcdchg (chg.mcd.mot.com).
When part 12 comes by, I will be happy to send benfeen a copy from
there, but would rather not end up paying for multiple copies being
emailed through my site.  Thanks much.
--
Ron Heiby, heiby@chg.mcd.mot.com	Moderator: comp.newprod
"Life is indeed an inexplicable sequence of imponderable surprises."

In article <193@falkor.UUCP> heiby@chg.mcd.mot.com (Ron Heiby) writes:
>I would greatly appreciate it if NO ONE were to email nethack to
>benfeen@ddsw1.mcs.com, at least not via mcdchg (chg.mcd.mot.com).
>When part 12 comes by, I will be happy to send benfeen a copy from
>there, but would rather not end up paying for multiple copies being
>emailed through my site.  Thanks much.

This is a specific instance of a generic problem.  Has anyone solved it
in a way that allows a site to pass reasonable mail messages but not
be used for bulk file transfers?  It is not reasonable to expect users
to understand routing, and the most common case is likely to be where
one user sends a mail message (or posts to usenet) requesting something
and another user sends it back the same path.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

bombadil@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (milton.c.thompson) (12/29/89)

From article <10004@microsoft.UUCP+, by fredf@microsoft.UUCP (Fred Freeland):
+
+ I don't know. Maybe it's me. I just keep whining about it. We just continue
+ to be in the dark. We have no idea how long the queue is, or even if there is
+ one. We have no preview of coming attractions at all. We go for weeks without
+ a peep from the moderator. Rahul, perhaps you could be a little more forthcoming
+ about what's going on with c.b.i.p.  I think everyone would benefit and I'd
+ shut up.
+
+ --
+ Frederick F. Freeland Jr.                        "Of all the things I've lost,  Microsoft Corporation                               I miss my mind the most!"   One Microsoft Way
+ Redmond, WA 98052 (206) 882-8080                                                                                                                                internet: fredf@,microsoft.beaver.washington.EDU                                arpanet:  fredf%microsoft@uw-beaver.ARPA
+ uucp:     {decvax,decwrl,intelca,sco,sun,trsvax,uunet,uw-beaver}!microsoft!fredf                                                                                Opinions expressed over this signature are my OWN and not those of my employer!

Some people use the postings as games for their children.  My boys want
nethack after playing MORIA, but unfortunately at our site we only got the
first 11 pieces and are missing the 12th.  But this seems to be a habit
at our site anything over three pieces always seems to be incomplete.
We did not receive pc-writeC.6 through pc-writeC.9.

		Craig Thompson
		att!ihlpe!mct

kenb@clmqt.marquette.Mi.US (Ken Baynard) (12/30/89)

 It must have been the moderators way of getting attention but at last it
finally showed up, part 12 to NetHack....Now to see how it works.......

 Ken Baynard        * DOMAIN: kenb@clmqt.Marquette.Mi.US
  Ki. Sawyer AFB. Mi    * UUCP: mailrus!sharkey!clmqt!kenb
   SAC.....Peace Is Our Profession...War Is Our Hobby.

bhv@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Bronis Vidugiris) (12/30/89)

In article <11510007@hp-lsd.COS.HP.COM> russ@hp-lsd.COS.HP.COM (Russell Johnston) writes:
>We also did not receive nethack part 12.  While I agree that I would
>rather have utilities than games, when something is posted, I would
>like to get all the parts!

Personally, _I_ like games.  I like utilities, too.  I don't like receiving
everything but 1 part of a posting, though.  This has happened fairly often
recently - I think that somewhere, someone's spool directory is being
overloaded.

This particular posting isn't that much of an issue with me - as I have
an older version of nethack which works almost as well - but I do see it
as an example of a bigger problem.

NEWMAN@MAINE.BITNET (12/30/89)

If anyone has part 8 of nethack could they email it to me.

Bryan Newman    Newman@maine.bitnet

wsinrn@lso.win.tue.nl (Rob J. Nauta) (01/03/90)

Anyone that wants nethack, can get a copy of 3.0.6 from me, which uses over-
laying to fit in all the options, and is much better than 3.0.3 as recently
posted. As for the guys complaining about the delays lately, you are ignoring
the obvious. The guy has been playing nethack of course!
It's the best game I know, pure game, not hundreds of K's of graphics and
a main program of 20K. Try it, you'll love it, even though you say you
don't like games !

Greetings

Rob

jmerrill@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Jason Merrill) (01/09/90)

In article <802@tuewsd.lso.win.tue.nl> wsinrn@lso.win.tue.nl (Rob J. Nauta) writes:
>Anyone that wants nethack, can get a copy of 3.0.6 from me...

Sorry to take up bandwidth, but my node doesn't recognize your address.
Could you possibly post 3.0.6 to grape.ecs.clarkson.edu so everyone can get
it?

nicholas@nlm-mcs.arpa (Nicholas Tolstoshev) (01/10/90)

In article <3711@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> jmerrill@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Jason Merrill) writes:
>In article <802@tuewsd.lso.win.tue.nl> wsinrn@lso.win.tue.nl (Rob J. Nauta) writes:
>>Anyone that wants nethack, can get a copy of 3.0.6 from me...
>
>Sorry to take up bandwidth, but my node doesn't recognize your address.
>Could you possibly post 3.0.6 to grape.ecs.clarkson.edu so everyone can get
>it?

  There is a working copy of PC Nethack 3.0.6 at lampwick.berkeley.edu.  If you
don't have ftp access, send me email and I will send you a copy.

--
Nicholas Tolstoshev
nicholas@mcs.nlm.nih.gov