[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Help With Archive

wang@ai.toronto.edu (Huaiqing Wang) (01/07/90)

Hi, everybody:

    Hope I got the right newsgroup!

    I am fairly new to this group, and I have just started playing around
with my newly purchased IBM-PC/AT.

    The problem I have is that every time I try to Extract files from
a Archive. I get a error Message like this:

    An entry in file xxxx.arc has a bad header, xxxx bites skipped.

    I am using ARC Version 5.21. Those Archive files are FTPed from
sites like grape.ecs.clarkson.edu.

    Any hints would be appreciated.

Huaiqing Wang                 |   Have a NICE day!!!

wang@cs.toronto.edu           |

whelan@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Jerry Whelan) (01/08/90)

In article <90Jan7.003729est.2200@neat.cs.toronto.edu> wang@ai.toronto.edu (Huaiqing Wang) writes:
>    The problem I have is that every time I try to Extract files from
>a Archive. I get a error Message like this:
>
>    An entry in file xxxx.arc has a bad header, xxxx bites skipped.
>
>    I am using ARC Version 5.21. Those Archive files are FTPed from
>sites like grape.ecs.clarkson.edu.

I've seen plenty of talk about this problem in recent months in regards to
files from simtel20.  I have had no direct experience with this sort of
problem (i.e. I never get an error message upon un-arcing).  I think though
that the problem lies in the un-arcing program.  I use PKUNPAK (aka PKXARC)
which is the sister program for PKPAK (aka PKPAK).  PKPAK uses an additional
compression scheme that normal Sea ARC doesn't like.  Unfortunately I have
yet to find a PKUNPAK for unix, however as long as you are working with pc
files, you might as well un-arc them on a pc.  The PKPAK/UNPAK files ought
to be available on simtel in PD1:<MSDOS.ARC-LBR> as PK361.EXE.  I hope
this solves your problem as well as all the other users' who thought they
were getting corrupted files.

In article <6075@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> whelan@uhccux.UUCP (Jerry Whelan) writes:

|                                                     PKPAK uses an additional
| compression scheme that normal Sea ARC doesn't like.  Unfortunately I have
| yet to find a PKUNPAK for unix, however as long as you are working with pc
| files, you might as well un-arc them on a pc.

1. simtel seems to use all "pure" arc files.
2. a version of arc for UNIX which will unpack the pkarc format (is it
   squashed?) and optionally unpack text files with just a newline is
   available from the archive server at sixhub. See the monthly postings
   on using it in alt.sources.d.
--
	bill davidsen - sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX
davidsen@sixhub.uucp		...!uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen

"Getting old is bad, but it beats the hell out of the alternative" -anon