[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] New msdos uploads to SIMTEL20

w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) (02/10/89)

I have just uploaded the following new files to Simtel20:

<msdos.arc-lbr>COMPRES5.ARC  Comparisons of performance of archiving pgms
<msdos.arc-lbr>PAK16.ARC     NoGate's archive create/extract program
<msdos.graphics>PC-DRAFT.ARC Hi-res pixel oriented drawing and graphing utl.
<msdos.arc-lbr>PKFORMAT.ARC  Specs on Phil Katz's new PD ZIP archive format

PC-Draft is a high resolution pixel oriented drawing and graphing
utility, which is designed to facilitate a variety of drawing and
drafting needs.  With PC-Draft you can produce drawings up to 1280 by
700 dots using IBM's color graphic adaptor high resolution graphics
mode (640 x 200 dots per screen). Such a drawing will fill an 8-1/2 x
11 inch printed output (at 150 dots per inch resolution).  Built-in
functions allow you to draw circles, lines, boxes; draw bar, line and
pie graphs; create patterns with which to fill areas; cut and paste
objects and save objects to files for later use.  You can record
graphic keyboard macros saved in files for later playback and for
animation effects.  You can load and edit fonts.  And you can print
your drawings on Epson compatible graphic printers or HP Laserjet+
printers.

-----
Here is an excerpt from PKFORMAT.ARC:

Dedication
----------

The file format of the files created by these programs, which file format
is original with the first release of this software, is hereby dedicated to
the public domain.  Further, the filename extension of ".ZIP", first used in
connection with data compression software on the first release of this
software, is also hereby dedicated to the public domain, with the fervent
and sincere hope that it will not be attempted to be appropriated by anyone
else for their exclusive use, but rather that it will be used to refer to
data compression and librarying software in general, of a class or type
which creates files having a format generally compatible with this
software.
-----

--Keith Petersen
Maintainer of the CP/M & MSDOS archives at wsmr-simtel20.army.mil [26.0.0.74]
DDN: w8sdz@wsmr-simtel20.army.mil
Uucp: {ames,decwrl,harvard,rutgers,ucbvax,uunet}!wsmr-simtel20.army.mil!w8sdz

w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) (03/28/89)

I have uploaded the following new MSDOS files to Simtel20.
All files are on the PD1: device.

<msdos.arc-lbr>ARCE40C.ARC     V.Buerg's fast ARC extraction program
<msdos.arc-lbr>ARCV121.ARC     V.Buerg's verbose display of ARC directories
<msdos.arc-lbr>AV20.ARC        Views files from ZOO, PKPAK, ARC, PAK, LU, SQ
<msdos.arc-lbr>LHARC10E.COM    New, tighter, compression utility from Japan

     <msdos.at>GSETUP31.ARC    AT setup program runs from DOS; supports 3.5''

 <msdos.dirutl>DELDUP23.ARC    Delete files already in another subdirectory
 <msdos.dskutl>DISKDUMP.ARC    Display any sector on disk
 <msdos.dskutl>L-RMND12.ARC    Reminds you when it's time to backup files
 <msdos.dslutl>ZERODISK.ARC    Erase unallocated disk blocks - with C source

 <msdos.editor>VDE131.ARC      Small fast WordStar-like text editor

    <msdos.gif>VPIC14.ARC      GIF/MAC/PCX/ColorRix pics view/convert v1.4

<msdos.printer>DMP200.ARC      Resident print spooler w/mult. features

 <msdos.txtutl>SORTF232.ARC    V.Buerg's fast text sort utility

    <msdos.zip>DELZIP.ARC      Delete files in subdirectory already in ZIP

    <msdos.zoo>STUFF2.ARC      Generate filenames & pathnames to feed ZOO

--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of the CP/M & MSDOS archives at wsmr-simtel20.army.mil [26.2.0.74]
Uucp: {ames,decwrl,harvard,rutgers,ucbvax,uunet}!wsmr-simtel20.army.mil!w8sdz

w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) (03/28/89)

I have uploaded the following MSDOS files to Simtel20.  All are on
the PD1: device.

  <msdos.arc-lbr>ZZAP31.ARC      Convert files between ZIP and ARC

       <msdos.at>CMOSER.ARC      AT CMOS setup/save utility

<msdos.education>FREN1-23.ARC    Language Teacher series - French 1 - ver 2.3
<msdos.education>FREN2-23.ARC    Language Teacher series - French 2 - ver 2.3
<msdos.education>GERM1-23.ARC    Language Teacher series - German 1 - ver 2.3
<msdos.education>GERM2-23.ARC    Language Teacher series - German 2 - ver 2.3
<msdos.education>ITAL1-23.ARC    Language Teacher series - Italian 1 - ver 2.3
<msdos.education>SPAN1-23.ARC    Language Teacher series - Spanish 1 - ver 2.3
<msdos.education>SPAN2-23.ARC    Language Teacher series - Spanish 2 - ver 2.3

     <msdos.menu>3DMENU11.ARC    Three dimensional color menu system

   <msdos.sysutl>TSRCOM28.ARC    Manage TSRs - Mark/Release - big change
   <msdos.sysutl>TSRSRC28.ARC    Sources for TSRCOM28 pgms. need TPAS5 & TASM

--

twb@hoqax.UUCP (T.W. Beattie) (03/29/89)

In article <KPETERSEN.12481439666.BABYL@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL> w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) writes:
>I have uploaded the following new MSDOS files to Simtel20.
>    <msdos.gif>VPIC14.ARC      GIF/MAC/PCX/ColorRix pics view/convert v1.4

I sure would like to get a copy of this utility.

Is anyone willing to get it from SIMTEL and either:
post it to c.b.i.p,
post it to a BBS,
or E-mail it?

TIA,
Tom Beattie
att!hoqaa!twb
t.w.beattie@att.com

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (Wm. E. Davidsen Jr) (03/31/89)

VPIC14 is on *IX BBS
  system	sixhub (*IX BBS)
  phone		518-346-8033
  login		bbs
  board		mbs
  area		GIF
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@crd.GE.COM)

w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) (08/02/89)

From: Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU

I've just uploaded the following, which I grabbed off of SDN, a shareware
distribution network running on a variety of FIDOnet boards which guarantees
virus-free software direct from the author.

<msdos.cad>
DANCAD2A.ARC    New release of DANCAD3D Computer Aided Design package
DANCAD2B.ARC    3D CAD package, part 2 of 2
DANMOVIE.ARC    Animated sequence of DANCAD drawings

<msdos.txtutl>
FORTUNE.ARC     Fortune cookie program, add your own

<msdos.filutl>
SFCRP401.ARC    File encryptor/decryptor

        Ralf

---

Thanks, Ralf!

w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) (09/05/89)

From: "Leslie C. Brown" <lbrown@TBD.BRL.MIL>

Following is a list of files I've uploaded to SIMTEL20:

<msdos.dbase>
LISTDBF.ARC     View DBFs using VD Buerg's LIST.COM

<msdos.editor>
QEWDPERF.ARC    Word Perfect 5.0 Key definitions for QEDIT 2.08

<msdos.screen>
SCR2TC20.ARC    Convert TheDraw files to a format used by TC2.0
SNIPPR21.ARC    Updated PC Mag Snipper.com seletive screen print
VIZ153.ARC      Video accelerator (set raw/cooked mode) TSR

<msdos.sysutl>
VEAL0989.ARC    Craig Veal Utility programs

<msdos.crossasm>
TASM.ARC        Table driven cross assembler

<msdos.database>
WAMPUM33.ARC    DBase clone (probably dies after 90 days of use)

<msdos.bbs>
DM_313.ARC      Door's Manager BBS doors manager
DRWY201.ARC     DoorWay 2.01 BBS Doors Utility

---

Thanks, Les!

--Keith

w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) (09/09/89)

From: <qantel!stv@hplabs.hp.com>

I have uploaded the following files to SIMTEL20:

<msdos.lan>
PARTNR50.ARC    Simple restricted version RS-232 mini network

<msdos.arc-lbr>
LHTOOLS.ARC     Check LZHs for trojans, make self-extract LZHs
TOLZH10.ARC     Convert from ARC/PAK/ZIP/ZOO to LZH archives

<msdos.bbslists>
USBBS64.ARC     09/01/89 (#64) version of Darwin's BBS list

Steve Vance
{hplabs,lll-winken,pacbell}!qantel!stv
qantel!stv@lll-winken.llnl.gov
Qantel Business Computers, Hayward, CA

---

Thanks, Steve!

--Keith

w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) (10/02/89)

I have uploaded the following new files to SIMTEL20:

<msdos.deskaccess>
AN130.ARC       Ample Notice appointment/calendar/alarm v1.30

<msdos.sysutl>
DOS400UN.ARC    Undocumented MS-DOS 4.01 features
OMSWITCH.ARC    Change DOS switch character, with 'C' source
REMM431.ARC     AST expanded memory driver REMM.SYS v4.31

<msdos.editor>
SLKPRO20.ARC    Professional text editor by Slickware, v2.0

--Keith

w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) (11/13/89)

I have uploaded the following files to SIMTEL20:

<msdos.dskutl>
22DSK132.ARC    CP/M<->Diskette xfer, over 100 formats. SYDEX
ANAD200.ARC     ANADISK v2.00, analyze/edit/copy disks, SYDEX

<msdos.zmodem>
DSZ1111.ARC     X/Y/Zmodem protocol file transfer pgm 11/11/89
DSZ1111X.ARC    X/Y/Zmodem file transfer EXE version  11/11/89
ZBUDDY22.ARC    DSZ shell to add Zmodem to terminal programs

<msdos.sysutl>
IDCUTILS.ARC    Gary Conway's assorted utilities from IDC BBS

<msdos.arc-lbr>
NARCZP31.ARC    Menu driven shell, view/extract/print ARC/ZIPs

--Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's CP/M, MSDOS, & MISC archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]
Internet: w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.Army.Mil, w8sdz@brl.arpa  BITNET: w8sdz@NDSUVM1
Uucp: {ames,decwrl,harvard,rutgers,ucbvax,uunet}!wsmr-simtel20.army.mil!w8sdz

w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) (11/14/89)

I have uploaded the following new files to SIMTEL20:

<msdos.at>
AT-SLOW3.ARC    Use high-res timer to slow down 80286/80386

<msdos.arc-lbr>
RV213.ARC       View & Un-SFX ARC LZH PAK ZIP ZOO archives

<msdos.catalog>
PMCAT50.ARC     Disk cataloger, reads archive files too

<msdos.editor>
EE14.ARC        Easy-Editor, free, simple to use text editor

<msdos.printer>
DOCSM304.ARC    Print 4 pages of text on one page. Epson comp.

<msdos.screen>
CRT31.ARC       Set CGA foreground, background, border colors
GRABB330.ARC    Creates .COM files from console screens

<msdos.spreadsheet>
ASEZ40A.ARC     'As-Easy-As' spreadsheet - LOTUS 1-2-3 clone

<msdos.starlink>
ASTER15.ARC     Starlink autodialer, v1.5, use with modem pgm

<msdos.sysutl>
ERR_RET.ARC     Display error code returned by program on exit
HLPMST11.ARC    TSR pop-up help for any application
LAUNCH13.ARC    Run a program in the background

<msdos.voice>
CVOICE.ARC      Tells time via voice response on PC speaker

--Keith

w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) (11/18/89)

I have uploaded the following files to SIMTEL20:

<msdos.zip>
DXZIP.ARC       Del file(s) in current dir found in ZIP file

<msdos.printer>
PRNTFIX.ARC     TSR fixes printer busy timeout problem

<msdos.dskutl>
REWRITE.ARC     Rewrite 360K disks written on 1.2M drive

<msdos.turbopas>
TP5PATCH.ARC    Borland's official patches for TPascal 5.0

--Keith

w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) (11/19/89)

I have uploaded the following new files to SIMTEL20:

<msdos.emulators>
22NCE125.ARC    Z80 CP/M emulator for MS-DOS systems v1.25

<msdos.desqview>
CNTDWN.ARC      Countdown timer with alarm for Desqview

<msdos.zmodem>
DSZ1114.ARC     X/Y/Zmodem protocol file transfer pgm 11/14/89

<msdos.trojan-pro>
CKOT095.ARC     Checks archived files for viruses (req. SCANV)
SCANRS49.ARC    Resident program to scan for many viruses
SCANV49.ARC     VirusScan, scans disk files for 51 viruses

Note: the three files above were obtained from the Homebase BBS.

<msdos.screen>
VIZ230.ARC      TSR to speed video BIOS, set RAW mode, more

<msdos.pcmag>
VOL8N21.ARC     PCMag CASE.WKS,CHG,EDITOR.BAS,PCMANAGE,TEXTCOM

--Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's CP/M, MSDOS, & MISC archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]
Internet: w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.Army.Mil, w8sdz@brl.arpa  BITNET: w8sdz@NDSUVM1
Uucp: {ames,decwrl,harvard,rutgers,ucbvax,uunet}!wsmr-simtel20.army.mil!w8sdz

simmons@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (James Simmons) (11/19/89)

Keith,
Would it be too much trouble, or against policy, for you to submit the
following to comp.binaries.ibm.pc in uuencoded format?

The modem program that uses starlink autodialer
ASTER15.ARC
CVOICE.ARC
RV213.ARC

From msdos archive.

I placed the request here so that others can see your response.

Thanks,
James

President: NCR PC User Group, Inc. | International Association of PC User Groups
           101 Whitehorse Road     | Same Address
           Lexington, SC 29072     |

w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) (11/27/89)

From: Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU

I have uploaded the following new files to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.asmutl>
ASMED-1.ARC     Editor making integrated env for TASM/MASM

pd2:<msdos2.modem>
QVT374.ARC      VT220 emulator with file xfer

pd1:<msdos.progjourn>
PJ76.ARC        Code from Nov/Dec 89 Programmer's Journal

pd1:<msdos.graphics>
TIFF-50.ARC     Tagged Image File Format specs v5.0

ASMED-1, QVT374, and TIFF-50 are updated versions of files already in
the archive.

From: Gregory Hicks <GHICKS@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>

I've uploaded the following files to SIMTE20:

pd1:<msdos.sysutl>
TIMER.ASM       Explains problems w/BIOS timer tick & fixes

pd1:<msdos.keyboard>
CTRLADEL.ASM    Provides a means of disabling CTRL+ALT+DEL
KEYKILL.ARC     Disable CTRL-ALT-DEL, disable up to 3 keys

Gregory Hicks

[--end forwarded message--]

Thanks, Greg!

--Keith

w8sdz@smoke.BRL.MIL (Keith Petersen) (12/19/89)

ssircar@ecs.umass.edu (Good writers re-write -- not write!) writes:
>> pd1:<msdos.trojan-pro>
>> SCANRS50.ARC    Resident program to scan for many viruses
>> SCANV50.ARC     VirusScan, scans disk files for 52 viruses
>Has anyone tried to retrieve these two?  I tried via sending a message to
>RPIECS and I got an error stating the files were not found.

Please try SCANRS51.ARC and SCANV51.ARC.  These programs are updated
frequently as new viruses are discovered.

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's CP/M, MSDOS, & MISC archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]
Internet: w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.Army.Mil, w8sdz@brl.arpa  BITNET: w8sdz@NDSUVM1
Uucp: {ames,decwrl,harvard,rutgers,ucbvax,uunet}!wsmr-simtel20.army.mil!w8sdz

w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) (12/19/89)

I have uploaded the following files to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.spreadsheet>
AEA400-C.ARC    As-Easy-As spreadsheet (Lotus 1-2-3 clone)

pd2:<msdos2.taxes>
AMTAX89.ARC     AM-TAX individual tax preparation for FY '89

pd1:<msdos.dbase>
DBX100.ARC      Convert dBase III DBF to comma delimited ASCII

pd1:<msdos.dskutl>
HDTST484.ARC    HD diagnostic, does >32meg and Compaq 3.31

pd1:<msdos.screen>
SIZEIT.ARC      TSR movable horizontal & vertical screen ruler

pd1:<msdos.calculator>
SLVIT30.ARC     SolveIt v3.0, powerful TSR financial caculator

eichi@forty2.UUCP (Stefan Eichenberger) (12/19/89)

In article <8734.25892e56@ecs.umass.edu> ssircar@ecs.umass.edu (Good writers re-write -- not write!) writes:
>In article <KPETERSEN.12549695142.BABYL@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL>, w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) writes:
>> pd1:<msdos.trojan-pro>
>> SCANRS50.ARC    Resident program to scan for many viruses
>> SCANV50.ARC     VirusScan, scans disk files for 52 viruses
>Has anyone tried to retrieve these two?  I tried via sending a message to
>RPIECS and I got an error stating the files were not found.

To word it differently, why are the directory copies of these trickle servers
for Simtel20 in the Bitnet world usually about a week behind the announcements
for new uploads to Simtel in this news group?

So, this is a question, the answer to yours is probably to wait and retry the
next day... Only, with programs updating as fast as those two mentioned,
why not try to retrieve SCANRS51.ARC ..52 ..53 (Remeber those announcements:
80286 .. 386 .. 486 .. 586 .. 686 .. ?)
UUCP:      ...mcvax!cernvax!forty2!eichi         Stefan Eichenberger
BITNET:    K807817@CZHRZU1A                      University of Zurich

ron@woan.austin.ibm.com (Ronald S. Woan) (12/19/89)

In article <8734.25892e56@ecs.umass.edu>, ssircar@ecs.umass.edu (Good
writers re-write -- not write!) writes:
> > pd1:<msdos.trojan-pro>
> > SCANRS50.ARC    Resident program to scan for many viruses
> > SCANV50.ARC     VirusScan, scans disk files for 52 viruses
> Has anyone tried to retrieve these two?  I tried via sending a message to
> RPIECS and I got an error stating the files were not found.

Always check before requesting for commonly updated programs. These
have long since been replaced by scanv51.arc and scanrs.arc.

						Ron

+ Ronald S. Woan  (IBM VNET)WOAN AT AUSTIN, (AUSTIN)ron@woan.austin.ibm.com +
+ outside of IBM       @cs.utexas.edu:ibmchs!auschs!woan.austin.ibm.com!ron +
+ last resort                                        woan@peyote.cactus.org +

w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) (12/23/89)

I have uploaded the following new files to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.arc-lbr>
AM444A.ARC      ArcMaster front-end/convert for .ARC/.ZIP/.LZH

pd1:<msdos.asm-mag>
AMAG1289.ARC    The Assembly Language 'MAGAZINE', 12/89 issue

pd1:<msdos.dirutl>
DIRNO110.ARC    Create commented dir listings, from PC Mag.

pd1:<msdos.dskutl>
PCOPY83.ARC     Patriquin COPY, file copier with many options

pd1:<msdos.filedocs>
LVLIST15.ARC    Chen's "Latest Version List", reviews and more

pd1:<msdos.editor>
QCP208.ARC      Use QEDIT208 with your favorite compiler
QMAC208.ARC     Macro Compiler for Qedit 2.08

pd1:<msdos.screen>
DCURSES2.ZIP    Unix Curses window lib for MSDOS (MSC & TC)

pd2:<msdos2.modem>
DIALER95.ARC    Automatic modem dialer - background TSR
MODEMD22.ARC    Modem Doctor/complete modem & UART diagnostics

pd1:<msdos2.zmodem>
AVGZ11.ARC      DSZ log analyzer displays file xfer statistics
ZMOD-SNP.ARC    Automate insertion of serial number for DSZ

--Keith

w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) (12/24/89)

This corrects an earlier announcement which incorrectly said pd1: for
the drive name.

I have uploaded the following new files to SIMTEL20:

pd2:<msdos2.zmodem>

In article <KPETERSEN.12552547589.BABYL@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL> w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) writes:

   This corrects an earlier announcement which incorrectly said pd1: for
   the drive name.

   --Keith

Posting to Usenet can make one anxious for three distinct reasons:

1) The fear that no one will read your posting,
2) The fear that everyone will read your posting and find errors in it, and
3) The foreknowledge that everyone will be reading your posting, and
   you just *know* there's one tiny but crippling mistake in it, but you
   can't find it.

:-)

--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])  Russ.Nelson@$315.268.6667
Live up to the light thou hast, and more will be granted thee.

w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) (12/27/89)

I have uploaded the following files to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.catalog>
CUDM315.ARC     Colorado Utilities Disk Manager disk cataloger

pd1:<msdos.pcmag>
DIRMAG2.ARC     DIRMAGIC v2.0, upgraded DR/RN/CO from PC Mag.

pd1:<msdos.os2>
OS2KIT1.ARC     OS/2 utils for PKZ102-2.EXE (PKZIP for OS2)

pd1:<msdos.at>
ROM.ARC         Save AT and 386 CMOS data to file and restore

pd1:<msdos.starlink>
SLNK0901.ARC    Info about StarLink long-distance data service

pd2:<msdos2.telix>
QMM301.ARC      Powerful Qmail/PCBoard navigator for Telix

From: ohya@inari.isl.yamaha.co.jp (Ken'ichi Ohya)
Niwsg

w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.ARMY.MIL (Keith Petersen) (12/28/89)

I have uploaded these new files to SIMTEL20:

pd1:<msdos.dskutl>
ANAD201.ARC     ANADISK v2.01, analyze/edit/copy disks, SYDEX

pd1:<msdos.turbopas>
PULL55.ARC      Pulldown menus for TP5.5, uses QWIK55, WNDW55
QWIK55.ARC      Quick screen utilities v5.5 for TP5.5 (w/src)
WNDW55.ARC      Popup windows for TP5.5, needs QWIK55.ARC

--Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's CP/M, MSDOS, & MISC archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]
Internet: w8sdz@WSMR-SIMTEL20.Army.Mil, w8sdz@brl.arpa  BITNET: w8sdz@NDSUVM1
Uucp: {ames,decwrl,harvard,rutgers,ucbvax,uunet}!wsmr-simtel20.army.mil!w8sdz

fredf@microsoft.UUCP (Fred FREELAND) (12/29/89)

I vote we change the name of this newsgroup to comp.binaries.simtel.upload.d
since that is clearly the most common thing to talk about. You sure can't
talk about something that isn't there, and comp.binaries.ibm.pc sure isn't.
--
Frederick F. Freeland Jr.                        "Of all the things I've lost,  Microsoft Corporation                               I miss my mind the most!"   One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052 (206) 882-8080                                                                                                                                internet: fredf@,microsoft.beaver.washington.EDU                                arpanet:  fredf%microsoft@uw-beaver.ARPA

w8sdz@smoke.BRL.MIL (Keith B. Petersen) (12/29/89)

In article <10083@microsoft.UUCP> fredf@microsoft.UUCP (Fred FREELAND) writes:
>I vote we change the name of this newsgroup to comp.binaries.simtel.upload.d
>since that is clearly the most common thing to talk about. You sure can't
>talk about something that isn't there, and comp.binaries.ibm.pc sure isn't.

The SIMTEL20 upload postings have been an effort to try to fill in the
gaps when there were no postings in cbibmpc.  They were never intended to
"compete" with cbibmpc.  When that newsgroup becomes active again I will
discontinue the SIMTEL20 upload announcements.  I'm sorry if they
offended anyone.

Keith
--

harper@rigel.uucp (David Harper) (12/29/89)

In article <11838@smoke.BRL.MIL> w8sdz@wsmr-simtel20.army.mil (Keith Petersen) writes:
>In article <10083@microsoft.UUCP> fredf@microsoft.UUCP (Fred FREELAND) writes:
>>I vote we change the name of this newsgroup to comp.binaries.simtel.upload.d
>>since that is clearly the most common thing to talk about. You sure can't
>>talk about something that isn't there, and comp.binaries.ibm.pc sure isn't.
>
>The SIMTEL20 upload postings have been an effort to try to fill in the
>gaps when there were no postings in cbibmpc.  They were never intended to
>"compete" with cbibmpc.  When that newsgroup becomes active again I will
>discontinue the SIMTEL20 upload announcements.  I'm sorry if they
                                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>offended anyone.
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm sorry too - I rather looked forward to Keith's postings to see what was new
rather than having to periodically download a new index and check it.  Perhaps
a weekly summary of everything that's been added recently would appease anyone
who hates to hit the 'n' key more than once a week.

Dave Harper    -     Convex Computer Corp.            E-mail address:
3000 Waterview Pky.  Richardson, TX 75081             harper@convex.COM
(214) 497-4525 (W)   (214) 727-4206 (H)

In article <11838@smoke.BRL.MIL> w8sdz@wsmr-simtel20.army.mil (Keith Petersen) writes:

| The SIMTEL20 upload postings have been an effort to try to fill in the
| gaps when there were no postings in cbibmpc.  They were never intended to
| "compete" with cbibmpc.  When that newsgroup becomes active again I will
| discontinue the SIMTEL20 upload announcements.  I'm sorry if they
| offended anyone.

  I certainly hope that you will NOT discontinue them, although perhaps
they could be digested and posted weekly, if that's not a big hassle.
There are two large advantages to this: they give people with ftp access
a chance to get things without uudecodeing, or to get missing parts, and
they also give people without ftp access a chance to see what's there
and ask if selected items could be posted to c.b.i.p in the future.

  As I see it everybody gains, and the actual volume of traffic is
absolutely minimal.
--
	bill davidsen - sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX
davidsen@sixhub.uucp		...!uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen

"Getting old is bad, but it beats the hell out of the alternative" -anon

kokody2@me.utoronto.ca (Gerry Kokodyniak) (12/30/89)

#
#The SIMTEL20 upload postings have been an effort to try to fill in the
#gaps when there were no postings in cbibmpc.  They were never intended to
#"compete" with cbibmpc.  When that newsgroup becomes active again I will
#discontinue the SIMTEL20 upload announcements.  I'm sorry if they
#offended anyone.
#

Keith, you do not have to apologize for helping people. Obviously Fred has
a problem. Clearly the newsfeed out of c.b.ibm.pc has been quite irregular
and there has been quite a demand for pc software. Simtel & grape.clarkson
have both provided wonderful sources of pc software. Your updates help
netusers keep up with the latest software available on simtel without having
to anonymously ftp every week to check personally what is new. Keep up the
good work!

Gerry Kokodyniak

Gerry Kokodyniak, Ph.D. Student            Department of Mechanical Engineering
kokody2@me.toronto.edu                            University of Toronto
kokody2@me.utoronto.ca                       Structural Integrity Fatigue and
kokody2@ME.UTORONTO.BITNET                     Fracture Research Laboratory
{linus,allegra,decvax,floyd}!utcsri!me!kokody2        (416) 978-6853

swh@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Steve Harrold) (12/30/89)

Re: SIMTEL upload announcements

Please continue with this announcement service.  It is valuable whether
or not cbip is alive or not.

fredex@cg-atla.UUCP (Fred Smith) (12/30/89)

In article <11838@smoke.BRL.MIL> w8sdz@wsmr-simtel20.army.mil (Keith Petersen) writes:
>In article <10083@microsoft.UUCP> fredf@microsoft.UUCP (Fred FREELAND) writes:
>>I vote we change the name of this newsgroup to comp.binaries.simtel.upload.d
>>since that is clearly the most common thing to talk about. You sure can't
>>talk about something that isn't there, and comp.binaries.ibm.pc sure isn't.
>
>The SIMTEL20 upload postings have been an effort to try to fill in the
>gaps when there were no postings in cbibmpc.  They were never intended to
>"compete" with cbibmpc.  When that newsgroup becomes active again I will
>discontinue the SIMTEL20 upload announcements.  I'm sorry if they
>offended anyone.
>
>Keith

Keith:

I am not offended by the simtel20 postings--In fact, I find them helpful
to keep myself up to date on what is there. In that way I can have a feel
for what files are available without needing to frequently peruse a new
simibm.lst, waiding through the thousands of files I have seen before.

Now, we all agreed a few weeks ago that Rahul was doing a great job and didn[t
want to have untested stuff coming through. I don't disagree with that. However,
I think the gist of the original posting was to the effect that since there
seems to be (virtually) nothing coming thru on c.b.i.p. currently that we
DO NOT KNOW if it is dead, if Rahul got run over by a truck, if there is
nothing in his queue, etc., etc., etc.

I think it would be great if Rahul could take a moment to post an
occasional ntoe in this newsgroup about his status--does he have 500 things
in testing which we will see in a while once he is satisfied with them, or is
the queue empty and he would welcome more submissions, or whatever the
status really is.

Fred Smith
fredex@cg-atla.agfa.com

blake@uns-helios.nevada.edu (RAWLIN BLAKE) (12/30/89)

In article <11838@smoke.BRL.MIL> w8sdz@wsmr-simtel20.army.mil (Keith Petersen) writes:
>The SIMTEL20 upload postings have been an effort to try to fill in the
>gaps when there were no postings in cbibmpc.  They were never intended to
>"compete" with cbibmpc.  When that newsgroup becomes active again I will
>discontinue the SIMTEL20 upload announcements.  I'm sorry if they
>offended anyone.

Please continue these postings, I for one have found them most helpful.

	Rawlin Blake

dak@hpausla.aso.hp.com (Dave Kruger) (12/30/89)

> The SIMTEL20 upload postings have been an effort to try to fill in the
> gaps when there were no postings in cbibmpc.  They were never intended to
> "compete" with cbibmpc.  When that newsgroup becomes active again I will
> discontinue the SIMTEL20 upload announcements.  I'm sorry if they
> offended anyone.

Keith,

Please don't discontinue your announcements (unless they are time consuming
for you).  I certainly don't find them offensive.  SIMTEL20 has a lot of
software that doesn't come through cbibmpc.  Also, SIMTEL20 has, for me, a lot
of software that is not easily available elsewhere.  I find it quite handy to
know what has been uploaded recently.  Keep up the good work.

Dave Kruger
Hewlett-Packard Australian Software Operation (ASO)  //|  ___  ___
PO Box 439, Ringwood, Victoria, 3134, AUSTRALIA.    // | |    |   |
Phone: Inter.+613 8711710, FAX: Inter.+613 8702169 //--| !--| |   |
                                                  //   | ___| |___|
HP-UX Mail:      dak@hpausla.hp.com              //
HPdesk: Dave Kruger/HPY200/UX    ACSnet address: dak@hpausla.oz

riehm@maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Carl Riehm) (12/30/89)

In article <11838@smoke.BRL.MIL> w8sdz@wsmr-simtel20.army.mil (Keith Petersen) writes:
>The SIMTEL20 upload postings have been an effort to try to fill in the
>gaps when there were no postings in cbibmpc.  They were never intended to
>"compete" with cbibmpc.  When that newsgroup becomes active again I will
>discontinue the SIMTEL20 upload announcements.  I'm sorry if they
>offended anyone.
>
>Keith

Please do NOT discontinue them - they are very useful and certainly the best
way to keep posted about new uploads to SIMTEL.  I'm sure no-one was
offended by them. Quite the contrary!   Carl Riehm.

gordon@eecea.eece.ksu.edu (Dwight Gordon) (12/30/89)

In article <12630024@hpcupt1.HP.COM> swh@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Steve Harrold) writes:
>Re: SIMTEL upload announcements
>
>Please continue with this announcement service.  It is valuable whether
>or not cbip is alive or not.

  Ditto!
--
Dwight W. Gordon, Ph.D.  |   913-532-5600    |   gordon@eecea.eece.ksu.edu
Electrical & Computer Engineering Department |     dwgordon@ksuvm.bitnet

fredf@microsoft.UUCP (Fred FREELAND) (12/31/89)

Whoa! Wait a minute. I was not trying to imply that you were offending
anyone, particularly me. You're notifications are indeed valuable and
your participation in general is to be commended. My aim was to dig at
the TOTAL lack of c.b.i.p. postings. As far as I'm concerned, please
feel free to continue posting upload notifications.
--
Frederick F. Freeland Jr.                        "Of all the things I've lost,  Microsoft Corporation                               I miss my mind the most!"   One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052 (206) 882-8080                                                                                                                                internet: fredf@,microsoft.beaver.washington.EDU                                arpanet:  fredf%microsoft@uw-beaver.ARPA
uucp:     {decvax,decwrl,intelca,sco,sun,trsvax,uunet,uw-beaver}!microsoft!fredf                                                                                Opinions expressed over this signature are my OWN and not those of my employer!

porter@caip.rutgers.edu (Adam Porter) (01/02/90)

Please keep the updates coming!  They are greratly appreciated.
--
                                                            [alp]

Adam L. Porter (porter@caip.rutgers.edu)
301-B Pleasantview Drive  Piscataway, NJ  08854          (201) 752-2983

malpass@vlsi.ll.mit.edu (Don Malpass) (01/02/90)

In article <11838@smoke.BRL.MIL> w8sdz@wsmr-simtel20.army.mil (Keith Petersen) writes:
 >... When that newsgroup becomes active again I will
 >discontinue the SIMTEL20 upload announcements.  I'm sorry if they
 >offended anyone.

They don't!  You provide a valuable service, and THANK YOU.

--
Don Malpass   [malpass@LL-vlsi.arpa],  [malpass@gandalf.LL.mit.edu]
  How do I know he is going into politics?  Even when I finish

ahaley@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Alexander Haley) (01/07/90)

In article <11838@smoke.BRL.MIL> w8sdz@wsmr-simtel20.army.mil (Keith Petersen) writes:
>The SIMTEL20 upload postings have been an effort to try to fill in the
>gaps when there were no postings in cbibmpc.  They were never intended to
>"compete" with cbibmpc.  When that newsgroup becomes active again I will
>discontinue the SIMTEL20 upload announcements.  I'm sorry if they
>offended anyone.
>
>Keith

I like the notices!!!  It is such a pain to get onto simtel sometimes that I
find it invaluable to know when new utilities are uploaded to simtel and
what they are.  When enough interesting programs show up I will try to log
on and then download all of them as quickly as possible.  If I did not have
these notices I would spend much more time poking around simtel for new
things.

						-Alex

ahaley@hmcvax.claremont.edu    |  Anyone know of a way to go to school
ahaley@jarthur.claremont.edu   |  without having to do a lot of work or
or Alex Haley, Fido 1:205/106  |  pay a lot of money?   :-)
 during breaks ONLY --^^^^^    |  It would make it a bit more enjoyable!

GMoretti@massey.ac.nz (Giovanni Moretti) (01/10/90)

I can see by all the positive feedback that it's generally felt :-) that
Keith's update list's are generally appreciated and I heartily agree.

The update lists are valuable to those listeners who aren't on the
continental US and find it more difficult or time-consuming or expensive
to FTP the index file directly from the SIMTEL-20.

The drip-feed of updates via the news system solves this problem very nicely,
thank you.

 GIOVANNI MORETTI, Consultant         |  EMail to G.Moretti@massey.ac.nz
 Computer Centre,  Massey University  |  Packet Radio : ZL2BOI@ZL2BFJ
 Palmerston North, New Zealand        |  Ph 64 63 69099 x8398 GMT+12