[net.followup] drug testing

abc@brl-smoke.ARPA (Brint Cooper ) (03/15/86)

In article <143@hhb.UUCP> bcb@hhb.UUCP (Bob BField) writes:

>I recently heard on some AM news station that Our Friend E.D.S. conducts
>drug testing on some employees.  This shows us just what kind of company
>concerns itself with such victimless crimes as the use of illegal substances.

Victimless crime?  Yeah, drug abuse is victimless until some programmer,
judgement impaired by chemicals, write incorrect software to control
biomedical instrumentation, air traffic control radars, or some other
crucial function.

>The thing drug-free people don't understand about this new fanaticism to
>test for drugs, is that it resembles the way we behaved toward former
>members of the Communist Party during the 50's.  Note how professional
>athletes must fess-up to their sins in public, denounce drugs, agree
>to future testing.  Oh, what a day for an auto-da-fe'!*  In the 50's,

Maybe wholesale drug testing of present and prospective employees is an
abuse.  I certainly would resent being arbitrarily selected for random
or blanket drug testing without some reasonable suspicion.  But let's
not throw out the baby with the bath water.  We're now hearing of
airline pilots using pot and coke while flying.  I suppose this is
victimless, too?  And science seems to be finding that the effects of
pot seem to linger 24 hours or more after they're no longer detectable.

>Does anyone remember Nancy's War-on-Drugs?  She traveled around the
>country and the globe lecturing audiences on how drugs are bad.  Does
>anyone remember those by-gone days when her husband, acting as
>President of the Screen Actor's Guild, told the public that the Guild
>would not participate in blacklisting?  Of course, Guild members were
>required to have their names cleared with the American Foreign Legion
>as a simple, painless loyalty check.

You're confusing issues.  Are you against mass drug testing or you in
favor of unrestricted substance abuse or both?  I'm no Reagan fan,
either.  Does that mean I should be pro-drug?  Just what were you
smoking when you wrote your note?

>I should not simplify this complicated issue.  After all, Professional
>Sports is house-cleaning to improve its tarnished image.  Drugs abounded
>among professional athletes for quite some time.  News coverage of it is
>recent.  Were it not for the Drug Scandal, testing would not be the problem
>that it is becoming.

Pro athletes, unfortunately, are role models for many of the depressed
kids who turn to drugs and for whom you profess so much concern.  Much
is demanded from those to whom much has been given; the pro athletes
have called attention to a severe problem that we should have been
working on all along.

>Another observation:  Drug testing punishes drug users, not pushers.  People
>who blow a joint, snort some lines, drop a pill, or down a shot every now
>and then do not damage our social fabric.  People who abuse grass, cocaine,
>speed, alcohol to the point that it affects the way they function at work,
>do not damage our social fabric either.  They are the rent in our social
>fabric that we wish to mend.  Punishing severe drug abusers pushes them to
>more extensive abuse.  They have more to escape from.

Well, there are enough unwarranted, unproven assertions in that
paragraph to run this news group for the next year.  I suppose that the
Chessie System engineer who killed a few folks in a wreck caused by his
error committed when he was 'high' on something didn't cause any damage
to our 'social fabric?'

>We have a serious drug problem in America.  Impoverished teenagers turn to
>drugs to escape their miserable lives.

Other impoverished teenagers get high school diplomas, financial aid,
athletic scholarshops, and educations and lift themselves up by their
own bootstraps.

>Nancy would like to solve the Drug Problem, but all she can do is stand before
>an audience to speak her mind.  She is unable to stop the flow of drugs
>and alcohol.  In the interim, her husband wants us taxpayers to help out
>Miami drug smugglers who seek to invade Nicaragua and Cuba.  The Cuban Mafia
>adores his vicious anti-communism.

These are separate issues.  Are you really making a pro-drug,
anti-testing argument, or is this a "What I hate about everything"
letter?

>Drug testing is a latter-day McCarthyism.

I can actually sympathize with this one.  Also, I'm mightily fearful of
the widespread use of lie detectors.  But that is VERY DIFFERENT from
wanting to make a dent in drug abuse and in things like espionage.
Let's not 'throw out the baby with the bath water.'  It's a good thing
that this is about over.  I'm rapidly losing my patience with most of
this and really hope that you're pulling our collective legs.

You must know that my employer is in no way responsible for my
opinions.  My employer knows it.

--
Brint Cooper

	 ARPA:  abc@brl.arpa
	 UUCP:  ...{seismo,decvax,cbosgd}!brl!abc

ks@svo.UUCP (03/19/86)

In article <143@hhb.UUCP> bcb@hhb.UUCP (Bob BField) writes:

>Another observation:  Drug testing punishes drug users, not pushers.  People
>who blow a joint, snort some lines, drop a pill, or down a shot every now
>and then do not damage our social fabric.  People who abuse grass, cocaine,
>speed, alcohol to the point that it affects the way they function at work,
>do not damage our social fabric either.  They are the rent in our social
>fabric that we wish to mend.  Punishing severe drug abusers pushes them to
>more extensive abuse.  They have more to escape from.
>
>We have a serious drug problem in America.  Impoverished teenagers turn to
>drugs to escape their miserable lives.

What a bunch of crap.  I don't think that I've seen this much BAD LOGIC in
a long time.

Users DO damage our 'social fabric.'  [I'm still awed that you posted something
so absolutely brainless; let me take a breath.]  I believe that there are
two communities of interest that comprise the 'drug problem.'  The first COI
is the 'user,' who buys the end-product, along with low-end dealers and low-
end (regional-local) distributors.  The second COI is the 'producer,'
'shipper,' and 'financier' of (normally unprocessed) product and of related
operations.

The enforcement agencies have concentrated their efforts at the second COI,
while normally relegating the first COI to local, county, and state officials.
But they neglected to see that it is the first COI that creates the second.
I sure as hell hope that the executive branch takes up the recommendations
of the Bush report and that they start getting at the MARKET.

It is the user of drugs whose life is ruined and changed forever.  A few
years ago when I worked as a paramedic, I spent some of my time working in
a drug rehabilitation center--where all the 'rent' in our 'social fabric'
go, along with the 'impovrished teenagers' who try to 'escape their
miserable lives.'

Let me tell you one thing right now!  Those patients with whom I worked were
s c r e w e d   u p   on drugs.  Many had been addicted to narcotics for
years, but insisted that they could 'get off at any time.'  In the meanwhile,
they were approaching toxicity levels of OTC and illegal substances to
either control side-effects or to get the 'high' they once got.

Most of these people are welfare-benefit receipients; guess where their
check goes.  They are, in the vast majority, not producers in our society.
Their function becomes solely to 'feel good about themselves,' and then nothing
else matters.  More and more of our society is becoming non-productive because
of non-work-related factors such as substance and alcohol abuse.

I went to a racially integrated high school in one of the poorest sections
of my town.  Yet, I know of very 'impovrished teenagers' who were able to
do worthwhile things--some even finished college and are continuing their
formal education.  But they had the same handicap of being poor as their
peers, some of whom are, undoubtedly, living in the drug rehab center where
I worked.

Just say "no."

		Kurt F. Sauer
		Tulsa, Oklahoma

Internet:	ks@a.cs.okstate.EDU
UUCP:		ks@svo.UUCP

barry@ames.UUCP (Kenn Barry) (03/21/86)

From Brint Cooper (brl!abc):
>In article <143@hhb.UUCP> bcb@hhb.UUCP (Bob BField) writes:
>>
>>I recently heard on some AM news station that Our Friend E.D.S. conducts
>>drug testing on some employees.  This shows us just what kind of company
>>concerns itself with such victimless crimes as the use of illegal substances.
>
>Victimless crime?  Yeah, drug abuse is victimless until some programmer,
>judgement impaired by chemicals, write incorrect software to control
>biomedical instrumentation, air traffic control radars, or some other
>crucial function.

   So why isn't ethyl alcohol illegal? And who, by the way, is EDS? Do
they design radars and medical equipment? This is not a rhetorical
question, I really don't know.

>>The thing drug-free people don't understand about this new fanaticism to
>>test for drugs, is that it resembles the way we behaved toward former
>>members of the Communist Party during the 50's.  Note how professional
>>athletes must fess-up to their sins in public, denounce drugs, agree
>>to future testing.  Oh, what a day for an auto-da-fe'!*  In the 50's,
>
>Maybe wholesale drug testing of present and prospective employees is an
>abuse.  I certainly would resent being arbitrarily selected for random
>or blanket drug testing without some reasonable suspicion.

   Give that man a cigar! We don't let cops search our houses without
probable cause, why should it be legal for anyone to force us to submit
to a search of our bodies for no reason?

> But let's
>not throw out the baby with the bath water.  We're now hearing of
>airline pilots using pot and coke while flying.  I suppose this is
>victimless, too?

   Drunk driving is illegal; drinking isn't. With a little thought,
you can probably see some guideline here for appropriate drug laws.

> And science seems to be finding that the effects of
>pot seem to linger 24 hours or more after they're no longer detectable.

   The wonders of science :-). I knew those guys were good, but I didn't
know that they can now detect the undetectable! And what have *you*
been smoking, besides that cigar I just gave you? :-)

> Does that mean I should be pro-drug?  Just what were you
>smoking when you wrote your note?

   This is a civil liberties issue. One need not be pro-drug to see
a problem with random invasions of privacy made under the guise of
fighting a "war on drugs".

>>Drug testing is a latter-day McCarthyism.
>
>I can actually sympathize with this one.  Also, I'm mightily fearful of
>the widespread use of lie detectors.  But that is VERY DIFFERENT from
>wanting to make a dent in drug abuse and in things like espionage.
>Let's not 'throw out the baby with the bath water.'  It's a good thing
>that this is about over.  I'm rapidly losing my patience with most of
>this and really hope that you're pulling our collective legs.

   The article you're responding to never appeared at our site, and
perhaps the parts that offended you were not included in your article.
If this is not the case, then I'm at a loss to understand why you're
so offended. The quotes you include condemn enforced drug tests on
random citizens; they do not support drug use. You say you aren't real
pleased about this kind of testing, either. So what's your gripe with
the original article?
   Sure sign of the anti-drug fanatic: they refer to all use of drugs
as "drug abuse".

-  From the Crow's Nest  -                      Kenn Barry
                                                NASA-Ames Research Center
                                                Moffett Field, CA
 	ELECTRIC AVENUE:	 {ihnp4,vortex,dual,nsc,hao,hplabs}!ames!barry

roe@toram.UUCP (Roe Peterson) (03/24/86)

In article <3800003@svo.UUCP> ks@svo.UUCP writes:

>In article <143@hhb.UUCP> bcb@hhb.UUCP (Bob BField) writes:
>
>>Another observation:  Drug testing punishes drug users, not pushers.  People
>>  ...etc.
>
>Users DO damage our 'social fabric.'  [I'm still awed that you posted something
>  ... etc.
>
>Let me tell you one thing right now!  Those patients with whom I worked were
>s c r e w e d   u p   on drugs.

For one thing, who are you (or we, for that matter) to tell anyone in
this 'free' society that he CAN'T blow his mind away if he feels like it?
In my opinion, the job of society is to provide maximum protection for the
individual within a framework of maximum freedom.

The very thought that any one person (or group of people) should be able
to tell me what I can or can't do with my mind and body is abhorrent.
Unless I begin to cause damage to other members of society, it's none
of anybodies business.

Shades of the moral minority!!
--

				Roe Peterson
				{linus,ihnp4,decvax}!utzoo!toram!roe

				All that glitters is spray-paint.

sef@drutx.UUCP (FarleighSE) (04/21/86)

>                                                              .....then
>how about this: Employee embezzlement is said to be a major problem in
>American society these days.  Why not give employers the right to come to
>your house or apartment (or condo, or teepee, or whatever), and conduct a
>full search, at any time?  Why not give them the right to fire you, put
>nasty stuff into your records, and maybe have you imprisoned, if they
>find a couple of company pencils or maybe a few sheets of stationary?
>After all, those items do belong to them, and if you bring them home, that
>constitutes premeditated theft.  Do you object?  If so, you must be a
>criminal, because honest people would have nothing to fear.

Back in about the 1930's the Ford Company did do just that!

>Let's go a little further.  It is well known that drug dealers make large,
>undocumented cash transactions.  Why not give government and employers the
>right to examine your bank account?  After all, if you are an honest person,
>you have nothing to fear.  So what if, in the process, your employer discovers
>what political parties you contribute money to?  So what if you give money
>to the candidate who's opposing a bill that would force your company to
>divest itself of, say, its South African or Libyan interests?  After all,
>it's a free country, right?

This does go on, the government part atleast, it's the U.S. version of
the KGB, the IRS.

Scott E. Farleigh
AT&TIS
Denver, CO

*The usual disclaimer.

clewis@mnetor.UUCP (Chris Lewis) (04/24/86)

In article <131@drutx.UUCP> sef@drutx.UUCP (FarleighSE) writes:

>>                                                              .....then
>>how about this: Employee embezzlement is said to be a major problem in
>>American society these days.  Why not give employers the right to come to
>>your house or apartment (or condo, or teepee, or whatever), and conduct a
>>full search, at any time?  Why not give them the right to fire you, put
>>nasty stuff into your records, and maybe have you imprisoned, if they
>>find a couple of company pencils or maybe a few sheets of stationary?
>>After all, those items do belong to them, and if you bring them home, that
>>constitutes premeditated theft.  Do you object?  If so, you must be a
>>criminal, because honest people would have nothing to fear.
>
>Back in about the 1930's the Ford Company did do just that!

IBM still has blood testing for VD as part of their pre-hire medical checkup
procedures on new employees.  Watson Sr. was apparently a real nut on the
subject.  I wonder how many new-hires knew about that?  They won't tell you
unless you ask (I did).  Though, according to the law here, it would be illegal
for IBM to be told the results of the test - it's supposed to be handled
by the MOH and/or your own physician if you test positive.

How many people realize that VD testing is routinely done on blood samples
taken for other purposes?  At least in Ontario it is now considered
semi unethical for a doctor *not* to ask for VD screening results on people
at risk (eg: women either pregnant or of child-bearing age, or people about
to get married (though I know that VD screening is a legal requirement in
some states for marriage)) in *addition* to the original purpose of
drawing the blood.  Some labs do VD screening on almost *all* blood they
get for testing.

How come there isn't the same screaming and yelling about this?  Isn't this
an "invasion of privacy"?  Because VD isn't "illegal"?  Obviously, you
haven't seen the VD statutes in this province!  (strictly speaking, having
in Ontario VD isn't "illegal".  However, considering the reporting and
treatment requirements, and the various fines/imprisonment available for
punishing violators, it might as well be).  If only they'd consider AIDS
to be included under the same statutes - they're powerful enough for the
situation, and appear to be "acceptable" to the populace in general.
--
Chris Lewis,
UUCP: {allegra, linus, ihnp4}!utzoo!mnetor!clewis

davidsen%steinmetz@steinmetz.UUCP (05/02/86)

I find it hard to care about drug testing for pro ball players. If
these people are playing straight or so wired that they don't touch the
ground, it doesn't hurt anyone but themselves. Speed and steroids may
show some increase in performance, cocaine in quantity will eventually
get people so messad up they can't play, and goodies like PCP aren't
any concern of mine.

I worry about my bus driver, pilot, doctor, and anyone else who can
mess up my life by getting weird at the wrong time. Why anyone would
say something about testing being needed for athletes but not computer
programmers escapes me. It's the useful people in the world who have to
be in touch with reality. Let all the actors, singers, models, and
anyone else in the entertainment business (except the management, who
might mess up the stockholders) have all the drugs they can use, they
hurt no one but themselves.
--
	-bill davidsen

	seismo!rochester!steinmetz!--\
       /                               \
ihnp4!              unirot ------------->---> crdos1!davidsen
       \                               /
        chinet! ---------------------/        (davidsen@ge-crd.ARPA)

"Stupidity, like virtue, is its own reward"

Unknown@hplabs.UUCP (05/02/86)

This message is empty.

bane%parcvax@parcvax.UUCP (05/03/86)

In article <696@smeagol.UUCP>, earle@smeagol.UUCP (Greg Earle) writes:
> In article <279@parcvax.Xerox.COM>, bane@parcvax.Xerox.COM (Rene P.S. Bane) writes:
> > ... There are many subjective responses
> > of being more creative, etc., while taking drugs - has this ever been
> > verified experimentally by, say, problem solving problems?
> >
> > 				- rene
>
> How curious - attempting to measure increase in right-brained activity by
> using left-brain-oriented "problem solving" problems ...
> --
> 	Greg Earle

Actually, there ARE tests designed to measure creativity, where
normal, left-brain activity will NOT allow you to properly solve the
problem.  You obviously don't watch shows such as "The Brain" which
attempt to deal with creativity.  Haven't you ever had one of those
problems where the answer was simple, but thinking logically and
mathmatically didn't allow you to solve it?

				- rene
--
Rene P S (nee Steiner) Bane
bane@parcvax

mading@puff.UUCP (Eric Mading) (05/03/86)

In article <715@steinmetz.UUCP>, davidsen@steinmetz.UUCP (Davidsen) writes:

> I find it hard to care about drug testing for pro ball players. If
> these people are playing straight or so wired that they don't touch the
> ground, it doesn't hurt anyone but themselves. Speed and steroids may
> show some increase in performance, cocaine in quantity will eventually
> get people so messad up they can't play, and goodies like PCP aren't
> any concern of mine.

I think you should know that these pro ball players are idols for young
children.  If these juvinile jocks see the ball players play good and then
learn they are fucked up on drugs, these kids will get the idea that drugs
are okay when in reality they are not.  Drugs are the main cause of evil.

> I worry about my bus driver, pilot, doctor, and anyone else who can
> mess up my life by getting weird at the wrong time. Why anyone would
> say something about testing being needed for athletes but not computer
> programmers escapes me. It's the useful people in the world who have to
> be in touch with reality. Let all the actors, singers, models, and
> anyone else in the entertainment business (except the management, who
> might mess up the stockholders) have all the drugs they can use, they
> hurt no one but themselves.

I worry too about bus drivers, pilots, doctors, and nurses getting high
on drugs.  We need drug testing for them, too.  Kids also worship those in
the entertainment business, so we can't have any of them on drugs either.
As for computer programmers, I plan to have my employees at my company of
the future drug free (this includes tobacco, as tobacco is a drug).  How-
ever, I won't include prescription drugs or alcohol, as long as it is used
in moderation.

I feel that it is worth mentioning that anyone in the entertainment world
cannot appear in cigarette ads.  This also goes for athletes.  However, I
have seen too often jocks and famous stars advertising alcohol and chewing
tobbaco.  I feel that these stars should not be advertising these things.
And I also feel that no pro ball player should chew, because this just
encourages kids to chew (some do it as early as the first grade) and chewing
tobacco can kill, just like smoking can.

Eric Mading
UW-Madison.

Disclaimer: These are my opinions alone, at least.

mike@enmasse.UUCP (Mike Schloss) (05/04/86)

In article <881@puff.UUCP> mading@puff.UUCP (Eric Mading) writes:
>Drugs are the main cause of evil.

Gee, Ronny's gonna be mad when he finds this out.
He thought that the Russkies are the main cause of evil.

Alternate response:

	Are you for real?

				Mike Schloss

mading@puff.UUCP (Eric Mading) (05/05/86)

In article <266@enmasse.UUCP>, mike@enmasse.UUCP (Mike Schloss) writes:

> In article <881@puff.UUCP> I write:
> >Drugs are the main cause of evil.
>
> Gee, Ronny's gonna be mad when he finds this out.
> He thought that the Russkies are the main cause of evil.

Why?  His wife, First Lady Nancy Reagan, is about the biggest anti-drug
crusader in the world.  Drugs and drug pushers are the main cause of evil,
and the Russkies push drugs on their citizens; how else do you think the
government stays in power?  It's citizens are either stoned on pot or speed,
high on LSD or cocaine, maybe heroin; and a lot of Russians get drunk.
Ever hear of vodka?  A Russkie Commie invented it, I bet.

> 	Are you for real?
>
> 				Mike Schloss

I would suggest, Mike, that you call the cocaine hotline, if there is one
in your town.

mike@enmasse.UUCP (Mike Schloss) (05/06/86)

In article <893@puff.UUCP> mading@puff.UUCP (Eric Mading) writes:
>In article <266@enmasse.UUCP>, mike@enmasse.UUCP (Mike Schloss) writes:
>>
>> In article <881@puff.UUCP> I write:
>> >Drugs are the main cause of evil.
>>
>> Gee, Ronny's gonna be mad when he finds this out.
>> He thought that the Russkies are the main cause of evil.
>>

>Why?  His wife, First Lady Nancy Reagan, is about the biggest anti-drug
>crusader in the world.

	I'll grant you this.

> Drugs and drug pushers are the main cause of evil, and the Russkies
> push drugs on their citizens; how else do you think the government
> stays in power?

	Where the hell do you get your facts?
	Or do you just make them up as you go along.

> It's citizens are either stoned on pot or speed, high on LSD or cocaine,
> maybe heroin; and a lot of Russians get drunk.

	I'll give you the last part.  I think I've heard that they
	have a much worse alcohol problem than we have.  Must be
	something about living in a totalitarian state.
	I would be extremely surprised if they have nearly the
	availability of drugs as we do.

> Ever hear of vodka?  A Russkie Commie invented it, I bet.

	Vodka has been around a lot longer than the Soviet Union,
	Communism, or Marx.

>> 	Are you for real?
>>

>I would suggest, Mike, that you call the cocaine hotline, if there is one
>in your town.

I would suggest that you spend some time with a psychiatrist.
You sound like you really have a warped view of reality.

Don't tell me, let me guess.  The Mideast problem is really
a drug problem in disguise. (Didn't fool you though.)
The Cold War ... Yup another drug problem.
Nuclear Proliferation, Pollution, Child Abuse, Unemployment  ...
Nope, all these are just cleverly disguised drug problems.

You sound like the guys who collect alcohol statistics.
A guy skids out on a patch of ice and totals his car.
0.00% blood alcohol but he's got a case of empties on
the floor he's been meaning to bring back for the deposit.
You guessed it, another alcohol related accident.

Once again, are you for real?

				Mike Schloss

jeffw@midas.UUCP (Jeff Winslow) (05/06/86)

In article <881@puff.UUCP> mading@puff.UUCP (Eric Mading) writes:

>                                        Drugs are the main cause of evil.

At last! A controversy existing from ancient times has been resolved at
last! You heard it here first - it's not money, it's not Satan, it's not sex,
it's not political or religious extremism, it's drugs!

I fear that human stupidity and malevolence need no chemical help.

						Jeff Winslow

thain@magic.DEC.COM (Glenn Thain) (05/06/86)

In article <881@puff.UUCP>, mading@puff.UUCP (Eric Mading) writes:

(ERIC)
> I think you should know that these pro ball players are idols for young
> children.  If these juvinile jocks see the ball players play good and then
> learn they are fucked up on drugs, these kids will get the idea that drugs
> are okay when in reality they are not.  Drugs are the main cause of evil.

     "Drugs are the main cause of evil." This is a pretty powerful statement,
which requires justification before one takes it at face value. How do you
come to this conclusion? Drugs cause crime? Drugs kill?

     People are the missing element here, those who use and those who don't.
This issue reminds me of one in the '50's, I believe a Senator McCarthy made
the same broadsweeping generalization about those that participated in another
freedom, the freedom of politics. Now these don't have very much in common,
save for the fact that a group of people, " those who *know* what's right",
are trying to institute another witch hunt.

> I worry too about bus drivers, pilots, doctors, and nurses getting high
> on drugs.  We need drug testing for them, too.

     So do I. But drug testing is unreliable, if only because of the human
factor. I *do* hope that if the aforementioned people are using recreational
substances, that they are responsible in their usage, and never place anyone
else's life in danger. If they do commit an act, they should be tried, and if
found guilty should be punished to the full extent of the law. But I was under
the impression "innocent before proven guilty" held some place in our system of
belief's.

> Kids also worship those in the entertainment business, so we can't have any
> of them on drugs either.

     Children need to be educated on the matter of drugs and drug abuse. Not
talking about this issue is what drives children to try and experiment. If the
dangers were presented in an upfront, *adult* manner I feel most kids would
take the message to heart. The problem in this country is we want to shield
children from the horrors of the adult world, and then we expect them to deal
with those horrors without having been exposed to them.

> As for computer programmers, I plan to have my employees at my company of
> the future drug free (this includes tobacco, as tobacco is a drug).  How-
> ever, I won't include prescription drugs or alcohol, as long as it is used
> in moderation.

     Define moderation. Your defination or mine? These are the kinds of vauge
replies one gets when this issue is brought up. Moral judgments need to be made
on the application of such hings, and who's morals do we use?

     These tests are not reliable. People could lose jobs and security built
up over the years on the crediblity of these tests. What happens if Joe working
over in drug testing decides to switch tests between his friend Ed, and Frank,
a guy he hardly knows? Frank is fired because his test results read positive,
meanwhile Ed who still uses still reaps the benifits of the system. It can and
will happen, in case after case. drug testing is a violation, a violation of
the trust an employee and employer must have to conduct business.

     There is another frightening thing to consider here, it won't end the
drug related crimes, as it's not your computer programmers who are out robbing
houses. Rather than alienating those who use drugs, why not educuate?

     Where do we stop? what happens if we find that certain types of behavior
arn't sutiable, do we have psychologists administer personality tests? Conform
or be ostercized? Shall we eliminate employee theft by instituting lie detector
tests to all employees? Fire all those who fail? See where this can lead?

> I feel that it is worth mentioning that anyone in the entertainment world
> cannot appear in cigarette ads.  This also goes for athletes.  However, I
> have seen too often jocks and famous stars advertising alcohol and chewing
> tobbaco.  I feel that these stars should not be advertising these things.
> And I also feel that no pro ball player should chew, because this just
> encourages kids to chew (some do it as early as the first grade) and chewing
> tobacco can kill, just like smoking can.
>
> Eric Mading
> UW-Madison.

     I feel in necessary to mention that the steps you are advocating are
designed to impringe on moral behaviors that we find disgusting to our senses.
I have no problem with responsible drug use, what one does in the privacy of
his or her home and body is none of my business. So long as they remain
responsible with their vices, I have no reason to complain. Drugs and their
attendent problems arn't going to go away because everyone is being watched
by "Big Brother". Only by education, responsible behavior on the part of the
users, and help from the medical community will the problems start to be
solved. a generation or two ago, drugs became part of American life. Creating
fear and dissention is no way to solve a problem of this scale. Only education,
and prosecution of negligent actions while under the influence will help
stem the tide.

                        Happy Trails,

                           Glenn

thain@decwrl.DEC.COM

( The opinions above are my own, colored by my education and experiences,
 and in no way should be attributed to anyone else, unless they wish them
 to be.)

jeffw@midas.UUCP (Jeff Winslow) (05/07/86)

In article <893@puff.UUCP> mading@puff.UUCP (Eric Mading) writes:
>In article <266@enmasse.UUCP>, mike@enmasse.UUCP (Mike Schloss) writes:
>>
>> In article <881@puff.UUCP> I write:
>> >Drugs are the main cause of evil.
>>
>> Gee, Ronny's gonna be mad when he finds this out.
>> He thought that the Russkies are the main cause of evil.
>>
>Why?  His wife, First Lady Nancy Reagan, is about the biggest anti-drug
>crusader in the world.  Drugs and drug pushers are the main cause of evil,
>and the Russkies push drugs on their citizens; how else do you think the
>government stays in power?  It's citizens are either stoned on pot or speed,
>high on LSD or cocaine, maybe heroin; and a lot of Russians get drunk.
>Ever hear of vodka?  A Russkie Commie invented it, I bet.

Hey, buddy, this isn't net.bizarre.

					Jeff Winslow

In article <495@magic.DEC.COM> thain@magic.DEC.COM (Glenn Thain) writes:
>     Children need to be educated on the matter of drugs and drug abuse. Not
>talking about this issue is what drives children to try and experiment. If the
>dangers were presented in an upfront, *adult* manner I feel most kids would
>take the message to heart.

I have to take issue here, as one who's tried similar things.
Yes, the matter is partly one of education.  However, one must
remember that children are children because they are  n o t
adults.  No, I am not trying to "protect the little dears" from
anything.  On the contrary, I shove my kids out into the front
lines of the blood-and-guts (literally) world.  My point is, that
these issues have to be presented in a different manner to a
younger audience.  Most people these days develop their ability
to react to things in an adult manner somewhere during their
college (or equivalent) years.  (Many I have seen do develop it
earlier -- that does not invalidate this partial generalisation.)

On a different subject -- folks, why pick nits at Mading's "Drugs
are the root of all evil."?  You all sound as if that were a personal
challenge or insult.  You can't deny that there  i s  a drug problem,
especially if you include EtOH as a drug (and, scientifically, it
is).  Mading's statement is rash, obviously, as there is totally
un-drug-related evil in the world.  So, let's treat it as perhaps
partially justified hyperbole (if you don't know, go take a class
in English!)  (for non-English-speakers, apologies, it means poetic
exaggeration) and QUIT STUPID FLAMING.
--

	Joe Yao		hadron!jsdy@seismo.{CSS.GOV,ARPA,UUCP}

goudreau@dg_rtp.UUCP (Bob Goudreau) (05/08/86)

In article <893@puff.UUCP> mading@puff.UUCP (Eric Mading) writes:
>In article <266@enmasse.UUCP>, mike@enmasse.UUCP (Mike Schloss) writes:
>>
>> In article <881@puff.UUCP> I write:
>> >Drugs are the main cause of evil.
>>
>> Gee, Ronny's gonna be mad when he finds this out.
>> He thought that the Russkies are the main cause of evil.
>>
>Why?  His wife, First Lady Nancy Reagan, is about the biggest anti-drug
>crusader in the world.  Drugs and drug pushers are the main cause of evil,
>and the Russkies push drugs on their citizens; how else do you think the
>government stays in power?  It's citizens are either stoned on pot or speed,
>high on LSD or cocaine, maybe heroin; and a lot of Russians get drunk.
>Ever hear of vodka?  A Russkie Commie invented it, I bet.

I think Mr. Mading's obsession with drugs is finally leaking out for all the
world to see.  "The Russkies push drugs on their citizens?"  Some references
please?  Sure, the Soviet gov't sells vodka to its citizens, but then it sells
*everything* thru state-run stores - this is "communism", remember?  The USSR
has a large alcoholism problem, but it has existed since long before 1917.
(Obviously, vodka could not have been invented by a commie, as none existed
several centuries ago.)  There is no evidence that pot, speed, LSD, cocaine
or heroin are widely available in the country at all;  certainly not to the
great bulk of its citizens, who are barely making enough to make ends meet
anyway.  (There is apparently a dope problem among soldiers in Afghanistan
however - they are right in the middle of poppy-land.)  "How else does the
government stay in power?"  A police state takes care of that quite easily.

As far as drug pushers and drugs being "the main cause of evil", how do you
explain Hitler?  Stalin?  Pol Pot?  Khomeini?  OF course, you may hold that
they all were indeed part of a world-wide evil drug conspiracy, but if so you
reduce yourself to the level of Lyndon LaRouche.

>> 	Are you for real?
>>
>> 				Mike Schloss
>
>I would suggest, Mike, that you call the cocaine hotline, if there is one
>in your town.

I would suggest Eric, that you seek counseling.  Why do you imply that Mike
is a cocaine user?

-------

Bob Goudreau

"You'll pay to know what you *really* think!"  - J.R. "Bob" Dobbs

pete@stc.co.uk (05/09/86)

Xpath: ukc eagle

In article <270@enmasse.UUCP> mike@enmasse.UUCP (Mike Schloss) writes:
>In article <893@puff.UUCP> mading@puff.UUCP (Eric Mading) writes:
>>In article <266@enmasse.UUCP>, mike@enmasse.UUCP (Mike Schloss) writes:
>>>
>>> In article <881@puff.UUCP> I write:
>>>
>>> Gee, Ronny's gonna be mad when he finds this out.
>>> He thought that the Russkies are the main cause of evil.
>>>

>>Why?  His wife, First Lady Nancy Reagan, is about the biggest anti-drug
>>crusader in the world.
>
>       I'll grant you this.
>
>> Drugs and drug pushers are the main cause of evil, and the Russkies
>> push drugs on their citizens; how else do you think the government
>> stays in power?
>
>       Where the hell do you get your facts?
>       Or do you just make them up as you go along.

>Once again, are you for real?
>
>                               Mike Schloss

        Have I missed something? I assumed an implicit :-) for this
        one.

        Surely there aren't *really people like this about?
--
        Peter Kendell <pete@stc.co.uk>

        ...!mcvax!ukc!stc!pete

        "If I could only be tough like him,
	 Then I could win,
	 My own,
	 Small,
         Battle of the sexes."

kay@warwick.UUCP (Kay Dekker) (05/11/86)

In article <881@puff.UUCP> mading@puff.UUCP writes:
[discussing the rights and wrongs of sportsfolk using drugs]
>I think you should know that these pro ball players are idols for young
>children.

Why do we teach children to idolise anyone?

>As for computer programmers, I plan to have my employees at my company of
>the future drug free (this includes tobacco, as tobacco is a drug).  How-
>ever, I won't include prescription drugs or alcohol, as long as it is used
>in moderation.

Tobacco is a drug? Granted... and prescription drugs and alcohol are not?
Oh, please, if you're going to state things like that, at least give a
*reasoned* reason!

>Supidity, like virtue, is its own reward.

Virtue is its own punishment...
						Kay.
--
"I AM; YOU ARE; HELLO: all else is poetry"
			... mcvax!ukc!warwick!kay