[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] USR 14.4K HST UPLOAD PROBLEM - FLOW ERROR! HELP!

gcw20877@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (George Wang) (01/15/90)

I am having problems uploading files with Zmodem (with hardware
CTS flow control ON) at high speeds... I have my COM port opened
at 38,400 and the actual connection is at 14.4K... In this
situation the manual says that one needs to use some kind
of flow control... hardware preferred... Therefore, I *AM*
using Hardware Flow control (even tried BOTH Hardware & Software)
but both Zmodem and YModem-G fail with FLOW ERRORS....

I have a XT system with a multi-io that has a NS16550AN High Speed
UART installed.... I have no problems DOWNLOADING files but when
I UPLOAD files I get a FLOW error ever 4-5K and the transfer
never goes through correctly... THe only way I can get UPLOADS
to work is if I open the com port at 9600 and CONNECT at 9600
but this seriously HURTS the overall throughput!!

Does anyone know how to fix this??? I would really like to get
uploads going at an opened COM port of 38.4K for best
results.. Could it be my XT system?? I heard that with the NS16550AN
chip that even a XT system should be able to deliver speeds
of 115,200 baud (IE, for NULL modem connections!)

Thanks in advance!
George

--
George Wang
University of Illinois

w8sdz@smoke.BRL.MIL (Keith Petersen) (01/15/90)

gcw20877@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (George Wang) writes:
>I am having problems uploading files with Zmodem (with hardware
>CTS flow control ON) at high speeds... I have my COM port opened
>at 38,400 and the actual connection is at 14.4K... In this
>situation the manual says that one needs to use some kind
>of flow control... hardware preferred... Therefore, I *AM*
>using Hardware Flow control (even tried BOTH Hardware & Software)
>but both Zmodem and YModem-G fail with FLOW ERRORS....

I use my HST modem with CTS/RTS flow control and DSZ's Zmodem protocol.
Here are the settings I've found best for my application.  Pay particular
attention to &H1 and &R2, which are necessary for proper hardware flow
control.  Software flow control should not be used for file transfers
in most applications where you are in direct phone contact with another
HST modem (i.e., no packet switched networks inbetween).

ati4
USRobotics Courier 9600 HST Settings....

   C=1  E=1  F=1  M=3  Q=0  V=1  X=6  B=1
   BAUD=19200  PARITY=N  WORDLEN=8
   DIAL=HUNT   ON HOOK    TIMER

   &A0  &B1  &G0  &H1  &I0  &K0
   &M4  &N0  &P0  &R2  &S0  &Y1

   S00=000  S01=000  S02=043  S03=013
   S04=010  S05=008  S06=002  S07=045
   S08=002  S09=006  S10=007  S11=070
   S12=050  S13=000  S14=000  S15=000
   S16=000  S17=000  S18=000  S19=000
   S20=000  S21=010  S22=017  S23=019

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's CP/M, MSDOS, & MISC archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]