[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] DOSTEX and total TeX neophyte...

tima@polari.UUCP (tim anderson) (01/17/90)

I spent a couple weeks getting all of the DOSTEX stuff off of SIMTEL.
Now, of course, it doesn't work... What girations do I have to go through
to get it to work? I ran the LATEX.BAT file, and I seem to have a
working version of LATEX. I edited the LFONT.TEX file to eliminate
references to the many non-existant fonts. I think THAT part is working...
Now, does the DVI2HERC and/or DVIEPS work at all? I assumed that
DVIEPS would only access font files that are in the \tex\fonts\pk\240\
directory, but it seems to be getting them from everywhere BUT there...

Boy, shame on me for expecting this to work out of the box! Anyway, if
someone has a list of the ten billion things that have to be done to
get DOSTEX to actually WORK correctly I will personally worship you as a
diety. It seems to be more of a 'convert from .DVI' problem than a
'LaTeX doesn't work' problem...

Doomo arigato gozaimashita...

tima@polari (This is a UUCP address, I think it will work?!)
            The other address is !uw-beaver!sumax!polari!tima ?? I could
            be wrong...

LC.YRS@forsythe.stanford.edu (Richard Stanton) (01/17/90)

In article <1173@polari.UUCP>,
tima@polari.UUCP (tim anderson) writes:
>I spent a couple weeks getting all of the DOSTEX stuff off of SIMTEL.
>Now, of course, it doesn't work... What girations do I have to go through
>to get it to work? I ran the LATEX.BAT file, and I seem to have a
>working version of LATEX. I edited the LFONT.TEX file to eliminate
>references to the many non-existant fonts. I think THAT part is working...
>Now, does the DVI2HERC and/or DVIEPS work at all? I assumed that
>DVIEPS would only access font files that are in the \tex\fonts\pk\240\
>directory, but it seems to be getting them from everywhere BUT there...

I had a similar problem, which I half solved by noting which
directories it was looking for, then creating directories with this
name, and copying the \240 contents into it.

I noticed that one of the files defines what actual fonts on your
system correspond to particular fonts / point sizes in your
document. I tried editing this for a while, but then gave up when I
found that on the paper I was writing at the time, TEX ran out of
memory anyway, and could not even produce a .DVI file.

If the same TEXpert could tell me how he / she got DOSTEX to run
(or, and maybe better, set up SBTEX with the LATEX macros and fonts
etc so that LATEX files were usable and printable on a DESKJET
printer (or LASERJET)), I'd be very, very grateful.

Richard Stanton

pstanton@gsb-what.stanford.edu

sekoppenhoef@rose.waterloo.edu (Shawn E. Koppenhoefer) (01/17/90)

In article <1173@polari.UUCP> tima@polari writes:
>working version of LATEX. I edited the LFONT.TEX file to eliminate
>references to the many non-existant fonts. I think THAT part is working...
>Now, does the DVI2HERC and/or DVIEPS work at all? I assumed that
>DVIEPS would only access font files that are in the \tex\fonts\pk\240\

I've apparently succeeded in setting up SBTeX2.9 on my system (a really
old and ssslloooowww XT) and it runs fine.I've set up some environment variables
so that it knows where my font files and stuff are... specifically, I have:
			SBFMT=g:\formats
			TEXINPUTS=g:\inputs
			FONTTFMS=g:\fonttfms
			SBFTMB=g:\swap
For a previewer I am using CDVIH (version1.2) for now... it is very fast but
it has the big limitation of only being able to use it's own internal 16 fonts.
I got DVI2HERC working but it was *REALLY* slow and DVIEPS --never-- worked for
me (it got maybe 3 lines into a document before running out of memory).
I would *really* like something that could print .dvi files on my printer
(it would be really nice if it used 24-pin mode but....)
but at least the formatting and previewer work.		Hope some of this helps.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|       _ _       KLEIN BOTTLE for sale...
        Shawn E. Koppenhoefer |        |        enquire within.
 ...watmath!rose!sekoppenhoef |	       -
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~sekoppenhoef@rose.uwaterloo.ca sekoppenhoef@rose.uwaterloo.edu

scs2635@cec1.wustl.edu (Sean Cronin Starkey) (01/18/90)

In article <7261@lindy.Stanford.EDU> LC.YRS@forsythe.stanford.edu (Richard Stanton) writes:
>In article <1173@polari.UUCP>,
>tima@polari.UUCP (tim anderson) writes:
>>I spent a couple weeks getting all of the DOSTEX stuff off of SIMTEL.
>>Now, of course, it doesn't work... What girations do I have to go through
>>to get it to work? I ran the LATEX.BAT file, and I seem to have a
>>working version of LATEX. I edited the LFONT.TEX file to eliminate
>>references to the many non-existant fonts. I think THAT part is working...
>>Now, does the DVI2HERC and/or DVIEPS work at all? I assumed that
>>DVIEPS would only access font files that are in the \tex\fonts\pk\240\
>>directory, but it seems to be getting them from everywhere BUT there...
>>
>I had a similar problem, which I half solved by noting which
>directories it was looking for, then creating directories with this
>name, and copying the \240 contents into it.
>
>I noticed that one of the files defines what actual fonts on your
>system correspond to particular fonts / point sizes in your
>document. I tried editing this for a while, but then gave up when I
>found that on the paper I was writing at the time, TEX ran out of
>memory anyway, and could not even produce a .DVI file.
>
>If the same TEXpert could tell me how he / she got DOSTEX to run
>(or, and maybe better, set up SBTEX with the LATEX macros and fonts
>etc so that LATEX files were usable and printable on a DESKJET
>printer (or LASERJET)), I'd be very, very grateful.

I got the right dviprogram from Utah, and that doesn't work.  I could get a
dvi file, but could not convert so my DeskJet+ could print it.  I got an
error saying out of memory (I have 640K with no mem-res programs) and with
another one, an error saying fonts missing (I have 5 Meg of fonts in the
right directory).

Any ideas?

--
           Sean Starkey   }:>                   scs2635@cec2.wustl.edu
           School Address:                      Home Address: