[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Help on Vax_Text_File.zip_or_.arc_or_.zoo

pirk@sysqq.mdcbbs.com (01/16/90)

	I have been following this group for a while, and even pulled down some
of the postings to comp.binaries.ibm.pc. The first task was to find the
Extraction Programs, got them. Next step was to extract the newsitems to a file
on the Vax that I use as a remote news machine, items extracted. Next, download
to the p.c. that I use as a vt102 with procomm kermit/ vax kermit, done. Use an
ASCII text file editor (non-word processor type) to edit out header info and
cut where instructions say to cut, Done... At this point, the files should be
ready to pkunzip or arce, but I get Invalid Archive Format on all files/types
that I have tried. A sugestion was made to BIN/HEX the files like what is
needed on a Mac, but I haven't heard of any of these type of programs discussed
in this newsgroup. The resulting file that I am trying to pkunzip or arce is a
readable text file as seen in the postings. Does ANYONE know where the missing
link is???
Respond via news or uunet or even phone.
thanx, Steve
--

.Steve Pirk.................Voice: (714) 952-5516.........................
..McDonnell Douglas M&E..Internet: pirk@sysqq.mdcbbs.com..................

LC.YRS@forsythe.stanford.edu (Richard Stanton) (01/19/90)

In article <444.25b33bd2@sysqq.mdcbbs.com>,
pirk@sysqq.mdcbbs.com writes:

>cut where instructions say to cut, Done... At this point, the files should be
>ready to pkunzip or arce, but I get Invalid Archive Format on all files/types
>that I have tried. A sugestion was made to BIN/HEX the files like what is
>needed on a Mac, but I haven't heard of any of these type of programs discussed
>in this newsgroup. The resulting file that I am trying to pkunzip or arce is a
>readable text file as seen in the postings. Does ANYONE know where the missing
>link is???

The one missing step is that the readable text file you have must be
"uudecoded" using a program called UUDECODE, which can be found on,
e.g., wsmr-simtel20.army.mil in directory pd:<msdos.starter>. This
converts it back to a a binary file, which can be extracted using
ARCE or whatever. The conversion to ASCII is done because many or
all mail systems have problems sending 8 bit data.

Richard Stanton