[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Ghostscript docs and fonts

jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) (02/07/90)

The other day I downloaded Ghostscript from  chyde.uwasa.fi.  What I think
I was getting is an interpreter that takes PostScript input and outputs
to a screen or dot matrix printer.

There were no real documents on how to use the package.  Also, in scanning
through what was there, I believe that it is supposed to have at least
one font file, called UGLY-something.  I even logged back onto chyde to
look again to see if I missed anything, but found nothing else relating
to Ghostscript.

First of all, am I right about what Ghostscript is for?

And second, how can I get a little more documentation?

And third, can I get it to work on my Toshiba 24-pin printer?

And fourth, how do I get fonts?

--
John Dudeck                           "You want to read the code closely..."
jdudeck@Polyslo.CalPoly.Edu             -- C. Staley, in OS course, teaching

arasmith@mathcs.emory.edu (David Arasmith) (02/07/90)

In article <25cf4ac6.bec@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU> jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) writes:

>The other day I downloaded Ghostscript from  chyde.uwasa.fi.  What I think
>I was getting is an interpreter that takes PostScript input and outputs
>to a screen or dot matrix printer.

Correct me if I am wrong, someone, but I think Ghostscript is GNU's answer
to Adobe's Postscript.  It has been in development for some time.

There is an interpreter called Goscript that reads postscript files and sends
them to your (much cheaper) non-postscript printer (dot-matrix, laser, or
inkjet).

I was a little fuzzy on this initially as well (maybe I still am).

By the way, Goscript is NOT free.  Ghostscript, like all GNU stuff, is!

--
David M. Arasmith   |  arasmith@mathcs.emory.edu	        Internet
Emory University    |  {sun!sunatl,gatech}!emory!arasmith	UUCP

hv@uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama LAKE) (02/07/90)

In article <25cf4ac6.bec@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU> jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) writes:

>The other day I downloaded Ghostscript from  chyde.uwasa.fi.  What I think
>I was getting is an interpreter that takes PostScript input and outputs
>to a screen or dot matrix printer.
>
>There were no real documents on how to use the package.  Also, in scanning

You have probably took the source for version 1.2 but you may like to
know that we have also binaries for version 1.3. It's in printer
directory. There are also some documentation in a separate file.

--

	----------------Harri Valkama (hv@uwasa.fi)-------------
			University of Vaasa, Finland