[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Help needed unpacking archive

dlumby@axion.bt.co.uk (Dave Lumby) (02/07/90)

I recently obtained SIMIBM.ARC from listserv@vm1.nodak.edu. The uuencoded
file arrived by mail (to a DecStation 2000 running Ultrix) in 8 parts. I
removed all mail headers and trailers and concatenated parts 1 through 8. I
transfered the uuencoded file (simibm.uu) to a PC using PC-NFS. When I tried
to uudecode the file on the PC the uudecode program complained of illegal
characters.  I next tried uudecode followed by uuencode under Ultrix. The
resultant file did not match the file I had recieved via mail - I observed
that where there were `s (backward quotes) in the original file, the file
produced under Ultrix had space characters. The uuencoded file containing
spaces did however uudecode on the PC. I then transfered SIMIBM.ARC
(generated by uudecode under Ultrix) to the PC and attemted to unpack the
archive. Both ARCE and PKUNPAK complained about CRC errors in all files
except SIMIBM.INF and SIMDISP.DOC. The same errors also occur when
attempting to unpack SIMIBM.ARC produced by uudecode on the PC.

Any ideas of what I am doing wrong??

		Dave

| Who:    Dave Lumby                                                      |
| Where:  RT3151, Room G44, SSTF, British Telecom Research Labs,          |
|         Martlesham Heath, Ipswich, IP5 7RE, UK.                         |
| Phone:  +44 473 642613                                                  |
| E mail: dlumby@axion.bt.co.uk                                           |
| Quote:  "I don't mind valid criticism as long as it doesn't come from   |
|	  other people"                                                   |

wayne@cs.odu.edu (C Wayne Huling) (02/08/90)

   From: dlumby@axion.bt.co.uk (Dave Lumby)
   Newsgroups: comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d
   Date: 7 Feb 90 15:46:50 GMT
   Sender: news@axion.bt.co.uk

[...]

How do you use the mail server for simtel??

		Wayne
--
--->  Sometimes I have evil thoughts......