[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Need information on an utility for linking files on DOS

faheem@cascade.Stanford.EDU (Faheem Akram) (01/17/90)

I am looking for an utility to link files under dos.  What I have in mind is
something like the ln command on unix, so that I do not have to copy
a file into whichever directory I need it but simply have a symbolic link
to it.

	My thanks in advance to all those who provide any information on
this subject.

Faheem Akram

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (01/17/90)

In article <1336@cascade.Stanford.EDU> faheem@cascade.ARPA (Faheem Akram) writes:

>I am looking for an utility to link files under dos.  What I have in mind is
>something like the ln command on unix, so that I do not have to copy
>a file into whichever directory I need it but simply have a symbolic link
>to it.

This may be an utterly stupid answer, but how about MsDos 3.30
APPEND command?

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)
Internet: ts@chyde.uwasa.fi Funet: vakk::salmi Bitnet: salmi@finfun

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) (01/18/90)

>In article <1336@cascade.Stanford.EDU> faheem@cascade.ARPA (Faheem Akram) writes:
>
>I am looking for an utility to link files under dos.  What I have in mind is
>something like the ln command on unix, so that I do not have to copy
>a file into whichever directory I need it but simply have a symbolic link
>to it.

This is illegal in DOS.  CHKDSK will protest vigorously when it finds links.
If you really insist on doing this, then Norton's NU, plus a host of other
disk utility programs will let you edit a directory to create links, but
I highly advise against it.

Chewey, get us outta here!

kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov             (818)354-8771
Kaleb Keithley

pfratar@watserv1.waterloo.edu (Paul Frattaroli - DCS) (01/18/90)

In article <2584@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> kaleb@mars.UUCP (Kaleb Keithley) writes:
>>In article <1336@cascade.Stanford.EDU> faheem@cascade.ARPA (Faheem Akram) writes:
>>
>>I am looking for an utility to link files under dos.  What I have in mind is
>>something like the ln command on unix, so that I do not have to copy
>>a file into whichever directory I need it but simply have a symbolic link
>>to it.
>
>This is illegal in DOS.  CHKDSK will protest vigorously when it finds links.
>If you really insist on doing this, then Norton's NU, plus a host of other
>disk utility programs will let you edit a directory to create links, but
>I highly advise against it.
>
>Chewey, get us outta here!
>
>kaleb@mars.jpl.nasa.gov             (818)354-8771
>Kaleb Keithley

I had CHKDSK complain to me about just this problem only this past
weekend.  It tells you such and such a file is CROSS-LINKED.  The way
it made the warnings sound, I thought a quick CHKDSK /F ( Could you
plaese fix it then? )  would help.  CHKDSK said OK, and proceeded to
wipe 8Megs off of my Hard disk.  I agree with Kaleb, this is probably
not something you want to fool around with in DOS.  The DOS filesystem
just isn't sophisticated enough to handle this.  I doubt that DOS
would move the link should the actual physical location of the file on
the disk ever change.

But, then again I'm not you so you can listen or not.  Hope everything
works out no matter what you decide.

....Paul F

--
           Paul Frattaroli - Department of Computing Services                          University of Waterloo  Waterloo, Ontario Canada  N2L-3G1                 < pfratar@watshine.UWaterloo.ca >        < pfratar@watserv1.UWaterloo.ca >     --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

frisk@rhi.hi.is (Fridrik Skulason) (02/03/90)

Two days ago I mentioned a program I had written for solving the "linking"
problem.  Since I have received a number of requests for it, I am posting
it here.  Before anybody starts flaming me for posting a program to a .d
group, please consider:

	a) comp.binaries.ibm.pc is currently not active
	b) this is a very short posting

Anyhow - this xxencoded (note - not uuencoded) PKARCed file contains two
programs.  LINKFILE (C source provided - use Turbo C to compile) is used
to create the "links".

Example:  If you give the command

		LINKFILE E:\LIBRARY\MYINCL.H

	  the file MYINCL.H will be created in the current directory.
	  It contains:

		FLFLE:\LIBRARY\MYINCL.H

F-LINK.EXE is a resident program. It intercepts INT 21 calls, functions
3C, 3D and 5B (Open and create file). If the file being opened (or created)
exists and starts with "FLFL", the rest of the file is assumed to contain
the actual path name.

The programs do not provide a full solution to the problem, but I hope they
will be of use to somebody.

-frisk

begin 400 f-link.arc
h4UV49Il7HYgiFJV3+0I+ik2++26IwM2kYI+2+++AHPE++H++E+2+6++czDSD
hV26+XT6l+L+-U6S5+E0Qm+VU-gQz3+3M0ZYg78Fz+0--An93EAckUDXlcDAU
hNUwu0a7icJB+rIA+9YO-+Nf6UFU+IePU+h01Yshz5iU+Y9BY2HMD1XvcUU+U
h3lE+h5ssVGeJZcylIM24wg5J07Au6JmgZE1+PFoAiWU+1HLIlG8X+B-8zP-3
hWn6-EDwS7On3-Jw+umGZT-0UllEXR0ms4CE1EQMu0HPvID+tk1CT1kTZ2p0b
hr8-x+CcEkALkqSg+ROvV0Z4XKEV4k5ccfCACpsjSjsAD3yT0YE2k+KUZwRrQ
hUtr23eHi9Y5RYETGTWpsBgsxl9CI2FccAB80GF6bGo0YaEAW1-gtNQ8EmGDT
hnFkuxf3F-VYie2S0Simt-lw6RdEVllldjC24014sQ+A6O6F-blVZZ13V4js-
hm6O+--eMZL56+PT+AA6-EAQ4i3mK0q6nPBDA0nokJ+Q1iWV2Gk8ysF6+2vvd
h2U7ME6Ok3+0CM2B939sZsU3oXanX5+hUHOSYEYqW48I5bX3W+4aul+A+SI5m
hxeJIMZub0lZbVZ0S9VKhM+3oGwLU4lc6H2ZCGoN7H2IiEk+Z7IU-++-035dy
hPH1G+E++10DGi-b1dUuNAW-sn8317goP3qVwB3+EQ41-UkYLYa4HFUl2WFE3
h2XG6Y6T1XlAfXgGcAAwQ9Uj1o22NoW97X5HY01l1IyL3YUrZo7nM7cl+3+9d
hU+UXtwkM3aDEA+KVUiYNCpiud7WsNm86fm0GUX0nkmjMe3DBd43HNYiC9Wn8
hs84ndEPQBrLcldXFdOk0g45BU2-VREm621pYPDo9hei0-01Ut7q1EYGJCK5C
hZB2-UYYG7oiA743GNCnOAW7Gy6IgBkoR313IazrONzNMBrDUQ5lh3KgAi2ue
hA4506jVk3afNldofaz3LAqvOZ4ZO-UJSCWl2WAWyDLaNtLGO+lPQ+wEMCKJY
hKgz9MgeL73SY783GF1nMCnfdJ1SHrEUHzxjFMBxLy9aq5kixPT2P0kj7kNMP
JV1LZapMflCMLM+GxAQRynTKV+Fc+
+
end
--
         Fridrik Skulason          University of Iceland
         frisk@rhi.hi.is           Computing Services

          Guvf yvar vagragvbanyyl yrsg oynax .................

hv@uwasa.fi (Harri Valkama LAKE) (02/03/90)

In article <1499@krafla.rhi.hi.is> frisk@rhi.hi.is (Fridrik Skulason) writes:

>Two days ago I mentioned a program I had written for solving the "linking"
>problem.  Since I have received a number of requests for it, I am posting
>it here.
>Anyhow - this xxencoded (note - not uuencoded) PKARCed file contains two

Those of you who can't/want xxdecode this program that Fridrik post here
can ftp it from here; that is Vaasa, Finland. It's in pc/dirutil and it is
called f-link.arc

Address below.

--

	----------------Harri Valkama (hv@uwasa.fi)-------------
			University of Vaasa, Finland

mlord@bnr-rsc.UUCP (Mark Lord) (02/08/90)

In article <1499@krafla.rhi.hi.is> frisk@rhi.hi.is (Fridrik Skulason) writes:

>Two days ago I mentioned a program I had written for solving the "linking"
>problem.  Since I have received a number of requests for it, I am posting
>it here.  Before anybody starts flaming me for posting a program to a .d
>group, please consider:
>
>	a) comp.binaries.ibm.pc is currently not active
>	b) this is a very short posting
>
>Anyhow - this xxencoded (note - not uuencoded) PKARCed file contains two
>programs.  LINKFILE (C source provided - use Turbo C to compile) is used
>to create the "links".

Hi.  Iam very interested in using f-link, but do not have any xxdecoders.

Could you email me either:
	a) source for an xxdecode program,
or	b) a uuencoded copy of f-link ?

Thanks,
Mark
--
|    ..uunet!bnrgate!carrsc!mlord        | These are only MY opinions.  |