[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] new moderator needed for c.b.i.p

dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) (01/04/90)

I have not posted software in comp.binaries.ibm.pc at a very fast rate
in recent months.  This is mostly due to a lack of time.  In fairness
to the public, I have decided to resign from moderating
comp.binaries.ibm.pc.  The position of moderator is therefore open.

However, I haven't resigned yet; I will wait until a new moderator is
ready.

While a new moderator is found, I will clear the current queue.  All
pending software will be posted with little or no testing and in the
format in which it arrived.  (This could possibly cause occasional
problems during extraction.  But one purpose of moderation, i.e. to
keep non-binaries out of the newsgroup, will still be served.  This
situation is only temporary for the next few weeks.)

In the meantime, it's best if you don't send me any new software for
posting.  I have enough pending for about 4 to 6 weeks, and by then a
new moderator will be coming online.

                      SELECTION OF NEW MODERATOR

The fairest way of finding a new moderator is for the c.b.i.p community
to vote on the issue.  I will get the ball rolling by collecting
resumes, and will then hand over the actual vote to one of the net
heavyweights in this newsgroup.   (NOTE: THE VOTE HASN'T BEGUN YET.)

Step 1.  The nomination period.  If you would like to moderate this
newsgroup, send me your resume by email.  Limit: 44 lines (two screens)
or less, each line of no more than 79 characters.  The nomination
period closes at the end of January 14, 1990, which allows a week for
news propagation and three days for people to think about it.

Step 2.  The discussion period.  After the nomination period closes, I
will post all resumes received, and there will be a two-week discussion
period.  (Before the nomination period closes, if you want people to
know about you, you may on your own post any information you wish.)

Step 3. The vote.  Then the vote will begin.  As always, all votes
shall be sent by electronic mail.  To avoid delaying the selection too
much, the voting period will be two weeks.  (NOTE: THE VOTE HASN'T
BEGUN YET.)

Step 4. The results of the vote will be sent to Gene Spafford, net god
and maintainer of the list of all Usenet moderators, for final action.

This procedure should allow enough time for the vote to be fair.

This article is cross-posted to comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d and
news.groups.  Follow-ups are directed to comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d, NOT to
news.groups.

Candidates for moderator should send resumes to me at the address
below.

Rahul Dhesi <dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com>
UUCP:  oliveb!cirrusl!dhesi

In article <1208@cirrusl.UUCP> dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) writes:

| The fairest way of finding a new moderator is for the c.b.i.p community
| to vote on the issue.  I will get the ball rolling by collecting
| resumes, and will then hand over the actual vote to one of the net
| heavyweights in this newsgroup.   (NOTE: THE VOTE HASN'T BEGUN YET.)

  I took the vote the last time, but I am going to be a candidate this
time, so I guess I better not. I came in third the last time, and I
wasn't running ;-)

| Candidates for moderator should send resumes to me at the address
| below.

  It's in the mail.
--
	bill davidsen - sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX
davidsen@sixhub.uucp		...!uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen

"Getting old is bad, but it beats the hell out of the alternative" -anon

I strongly urge against a vote.  With one exception, all attempts to
vote on moderators have been a mess, not making much sense.

Of course, the only one that was a success of any sort was in this
group, which will no doubt bias people.

But I say, Rahul pick your successor and have done with it.  Otherwise
prepare for a noisy time in this group!

I "vote" for "no vote."

mr@cica.cica.indiana.edu (Michael Regoli) (01/05/90)

brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:

>I strongly urge against a vote.  With one exception, all attempts to
>vote on moderators have been a mess, not making much sense.

I agree.  The first-runner up, if still available, should be installed
as the new moderator.

If a new search is to be conducted, however, I feel it important to
consider the "connectivity" of the new moderator.  I would like to see
a moderator on the Internet.  This could possibly kill two birds by
also allowing the moderator's site to serve as an ftp archive location.

--
michael regoli
mr@cica.indiana.edu

pdn@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Paul Nanson) (01/06/90)

In article <72107@looking.on.ca> brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:
}
}I "vote" for "no vote."
}--
}Brad Templeton, ClariNet Communications Corp. -- Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

I would tend to agree. Why not just take resumes and choose your own
successor? It would take much less time.
--
Paul Nanson		ames!attctc!pdn		   pdn@attctc.dallas.tx.us

packer@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (Michael A Packer,Knapp Hall,,2928607) (01/06/90)

From article <10840@attctc.Dallas.TX.US>, by pdn@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Paul Nanson):
> In article <72107@looking.on.ca> brad@looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:
> }
> }I "vote" for "no vote."
> }--
> }Brad Templeton, ClariNet Communications Corp. -- Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473
>
> I would tend to agree. Why not just take resumes and choose your own
> successor? It would take much less time.
> --
> Paul Nanson		ames!attctc!pdn		   pdn@attctc.dallas.tx.us

	I also think this would be a better idea...and it would also
tend to speed things up a little too.

mike packer
USMAIL:	318 Knapp Hall, WVU, Morgantown, WV 26506
PHONE:	304 293-3607
INTERNET : packer@a.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu
USENET:  {allegra,bellcore,ihpn4!cadre,decvax!idis,psuvax1}!pitt!wvucsa!packer

mitsolid@csd2.NYU.EDU (Thanasis Mitsolides) (01/06/90)

/* csd2:comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d / dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) / 12:51 am  Jan  4, 1990 */
> The fairest way of finding a new moderator is for the c.b.i.p community

Is there any reason why we should have ONLY 1 moderator?
Having 2-3 moderators would make the task for each of them lighter.
Also, we would see more postings.

Thanasis

From: mitsolid@csd2.NYU.EDU (Thanasis Mitsolides)
Date: 5 Jan 90 18:02 EST
Subject: Re: ST1040 for sale.
Newsgroups: comp.sys.atari.st

The responses to my sale were overwhelming!
I would like to say that my ST HAS BEEN SOLD (12 hours after my posting).

Thanks,

Thanasis

From: lanin@csd2.NYU.EDU (Vladimir Lanin)
Date: 4 Jan 90 20:47 EST
Subject: Capturing a binary file alive
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc

I need to capture onto a PC binary files residing on an old
dynasaur of a machine for which neither ?modem or kermit are available.
Thus, I need a PC communication package that will do all the work, i.e.:

1. work from a batch (script) file.
2. terminate a file capture after receiving a user-specfied string.
3. accept 8-bit characters.
4. accept NUL's without interpreting them as padding.
5. accept XON/XOFF's without interpreting them as flow control.
6. send XON/XOFF's for flow control when it can't keep up.

None of the packages I've tried so far (MS-Kermit 2.32A, CarbonCopy,
PolyCom) appear to have ALL these features. Kermit comes very close, but
seems to be capable of providing only one of 5 and 6 at one time.

Does anyone know of a package that has all these features, or have any other
ideas?
Thanks in advance.

Vladimir Lanin
lanin@csd2.nyu.edu
...!cmcl2!csd2!lanin
From: lanin@csd2.NYU.EDU (Vladimir Lanin)
Date: 4 Jan 90 21:38 EST
Subject: Results of "Run it the background" survey
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc

I recently asked for responses from people who have used products
that allow one to run ordinary DOS programs in the background.
Unfortunately, only three people responded. Here is a summary
of their reports, organized by product.

	Desqview.

All three are currently using this product.
One person has experienced no problems at all,
the other two a little bit more, but do not seem to be
complaining too much. The range of software used is quite
broad, including communications programs, compilers,
word processors.

Overhead seems to be restricted to two sources:
busy-waiting by concurrent programs (which thus unnecessarily
take up the full time slice) and memory management.
Since the memory situation is still far from clear to me,
I can not elucidate on the latter. It appears to depend on both
amount and type of memory (extended/expanded, 286/386).
Overall, the overhead seems to be low, although one person
reported a noticable decrease in speed (~25%) in some programs.

Desqview works in all environments, doing reasonably well even with
an 8088. A 386, however, is a definite advantage. Like I said,
I do not really understand the memory situtation, but it appears that
under the 386, extended memory can be used (almost?) like the
first 640K.

	Windows.

Two of the responders had tried this product. Neither is now using it.
The reaction of one was highly negative. The other was more subdued.
Reasons: "SLOW", "gets in the way", "screws around [with stuff it should
leave alone]". However, neither had cited compatibility problems with
software packages as a reason.

I received much less specific info on Windows.
The 386/286 comparison is about the same as for Desqview,
but running on an 8088 is said to be absolutely horrible.

	DoubleDos

One responder mentioned seeing (using?) it some number of years ago,
and having a fairly good impression of it.

Vladimir Lanin
lanin@csd2.nyu.edu

In article <24460001@csd2.NYU.EDU> mitsolid@csd2.NYU.EDU (Thanasis Mitsolides) writes:
| /* csd2:comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d / dhesi%cirrusl@oliveb.ATC.olivetti.com (Rahul Dhesi) / 12:51 am  Jan  4, 1990 */
| > The fairest way of finding a new moderator is for the c.b.i.p community
|

| Is there any reason why we should have ONLY 1 moderator?
| Having 2-3 moderators would make the task for each of them lighter.
| Also, we would see more postings.

  Ummmm, that's the problem. The volume of binary postings got
unreasonably large, so the c.b.i.p group was created to limit the
volume. All the other stuff, like archives, etc, quality control, are
fringe benefits.

  Having several people do QA on the postings would be a good idea, but
they would more likely be people asked by the moderator to participate.
--

oneill@bu-tyng.bu.edu (Brian O'Neill) (01/10/90)

#|
#
#  I took the vote the last time, but I am going to be a candidate this
#time, so I guess I better not. I came in third the last time, and I
#wasn't running ;-)
#

If it is decided that there should be a vote, I would be willing to take it.
I have a much more reliable account (Internet/UUCP reachable) which would be
able to support the vote. I am not submitting myself as moderator this time
around, but am willing to support whoever is agreed upon.

Brian O'Neill - Boston University Corporate Education Center, Tyngsboro, MA
UUCP:  {decvax|ulowell}!bu-tyng!oneill
Internet: oneill@bu-tyng.bu.edu                          (508) 649-9731 x14

rgc@raybed2.UUCP (RICK CARLE) (02/01/90)

Does anyone know what has happened to our current (?) moderator,
Rahul?  I recall that about a month ago he said that he would supervise
the election of his successor, close out nominations (I've seen 2 self-
nominations in c.b.i.p.d) within 2 weeks, stay on as moderator until
his successor was installed, and continue to feed us the untested but
annotated & zoo'ed c.b.i.p. backlog.  Not only have we heard nothing
about nominations, but there has been no cbip activity.  I think we
should assume Rahul is somehow incapicated and allow someone to
elect himself, pending Usenet approval (Spafford?).  Didn't someone
from Boston U. volunteer last week to do that?
	Rick Carle

ggw@wolves.uucp (Gregory G. Woodbury) (02/04/90)

There is a *SERIOUS* problem in comp.binaries.ibm.pc.
The official moderator seems to have abandoned it and, while there was
a brief flurry (well a few messages) of activity and talk of electing
a  new moderator, nothing seems to be happening.

Since the net.gods tend to ignore c.b.i.p, I have crossed this to
news.groups in a feeble attempt to get some of them interested in the
plight of this valuable resource.

It is often the case that there may be a lot of negotiating and
activity behind the scenes, but the it would be nice to get some kind
of a status report occasionally.

Does anyone out there *know* what has happend to Raul or knows (or has
strong opinions) on what to do when a moderator abandons his post?
--
Gregory G. Woodbury
Sysop/owner Wolves Den UNIX BBS, Durham NC

In article <1990Feb4.063927.15980@wolves.uucp> ggw@wolves.UUCP (Gregory G. Woodbury) writes:
> Does anyone out there *know* what has happend to Raul or knows (or has
> strong opinions) on what to do when a moderator abandons his post?

When a moderator abandons his post, the group stands fallow until another
sucker is found. The first person to complain on the subject in news.groups
is usually volunteered. That's you. Wear it in good health.
--
 _--_|\  Peter da Silva. +1 713 274 5180. <peter@ficc.uu.net>.
/      \

In article <1990Feb4.063927.15980@wolves.uucp> ggw@wolves.UUCP (Gregory G. Woodbury) writes:

| It is often the case that there may be a lot of negotiating and
| activity behind the scenes, but the it would be nice to get some kind
| of a status report occasionally.

  See my previous posting. We have been trying to do things quietly
until everything was in place.

In article <VHJ1BFxds13@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:

| When a moderator abandons his post, the group stands fallow until another
| sucker is found. The first person to complain on the subject in news.groups
| is usually volunteered. That's you. Wear it in good health.

  Peter, I'll try to explain this again, since I haven't been able to
make it clear before:
	1. Rahul called for resumes. He got only one (mine) and
	   therefore told me I won.
	2. I began preparing to handle the group on sixhub, ordering new
	   disk and getting an alias on a well connected machine.
	3. Rahul sent me part of the stuff used to make the postings. He
	   sent me none of the backlog because I wasn't ready.
	4. Keith Petersen asked Gene to appoint a new moderator.
	5. I asked for clarification from Gene to determine of Rahul had
	   contacted him officially.
	6. You have gone ahead and appointed someone else as moderator,
	   based on authority I didn't know you had.

  Now that that's clear... I will leave the new disk in the box until
this is clarified, and will not be accepting any contributions until
that time. If anyone other than Rahul who took the resumes and Gene who
publishes the list has authority to appoint a new moderator, please state
it so we can stop wasting time on this.

oneill@bu-tyng.bu.edu (Brian O'Neill) (02/07/90)

In article <1454@raybed2.UUCP> rgc@raybed2.UUCP (RICK CARLE) writes:
>should assume Rahul is somehow incapicated and allow someone to
>elect himself, pending Usenet approval (Spafford?).  Didn't someone
>from Boston U. volunteer last week to do that?
>	Rick Carle

I did volunteer some time ago to control the voting process, not to become
moderator. I have too much in the coming months to worry about. I am
perfectly willing to help out whoever is elected moderator, but cannot
assume to position myself, at least until projects are cleared up by the end
of this semester...

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (02/07/90)

In article <2089@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.com (bill davidsen)
writes:
>In article <VHJ1BFxds13@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>| When a moderator abandons his post, the group stands fallow until another
>| sucker is found. The first person to complain on the subject in news.groups
>| is usually volunteered. That's you. Wear it in good health.
>
>  Peter, I'll try to explain this again, since I haven't been able to
>make it clear before:
>	1. Rahul called for resumes. He got only one (mine) and
>	   therefore told me I won.
... items deleted ...
>	6. You have gone ahead and appointed someone else as moderator,
>	   based on authority I didn't know you had.
>
>  Now that that's clear... I will leave the new disk in the box until
>this is clarified, and will not be accepting any contributions until
>that time. If anyone other than Rahul who took the resumes and Gene who
>publishes the list has authority to appoint a new moderator, please state
>it so we can stop wasting time on this.

Please let me but in, in a hope to clarify matters from a netters
point of view.  (I hope I will not end up by confusing them,
instead).  We have NOT been aware prior this that we have a new
moderator.  I for one welcome you heartily.  I think that what Peter
wrote (even if it is not for me to say), was meant in good humor.  I
do not think that anyone is contesting the choice (rather the
contrary).  Another thing (even if neither this is for me to say) is
that I do not see any reason for not proceeding with the moderation
asap.
   With all the best wishes to our new moderator.

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

I said, in response to someone complaining about the lack of a moderator:

>> When a moderator abandons his post, the group stands fallow until another
>> sucker is found. The first person to complain on the subject in news.groups
>> is usually volunteered. That's you. Wear it in good health.

I swear, I'm gonna have to modify Pnews to add "Summary: :->" or something.

(who has obviously volunteered to do the job) writes:
> 	6. You have gone ahead and appointed someone else as moderator,
> 	   based on authority I didn't know you had.

I haven't appointed anyone anything. I was unaware that anyone had actually
stepped in to fill the gap (comp.binaries.ibm.pc being somewhere between
talk.misc and comp.protocols.kermit on my list of priorities), and was trying
to suggest that if the gentleman in question really wanted to do something
about the problem he could try volunteering.

>   Now that that's clear... I will leave the new disk in the box until
> this is clarified, and will not be accepting any contributions until
> that time. [etcetera]

I hope you're kidding.
--

ggw@wolves.uucp (Gregory G. Woodbury) (02/07/90)

In article <VHJ1BFxds13@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <1990Feb4.063927.15980@wolves.uucp> (Gregory G. Woodbury) writes:
>> Does anyone out there *know* what has happend to Raul or knows (or has
>> strong opinions) on what to do when a moderator abandons his post?
>
>When a moderator abandons his post, the group stands fallow until another
>sucker is found. The first person to complain on the subject in news.groups
>is usually volunteered. That's you. Wear it in good health.
>--
> _--_|\  Peter da Silva. +1 713 274 5180. <peter@ficc.uu.net>.
>/      \
>\_.--._/ Xenix Support -- it's not just a job, it's an adventure!
>      v  "Have you hugged your wolf today?" `-_-'

	Thanks for the offer, but I don't own a DOS machine!  I don't
use DOS (if I can help it) and (above all) don't have internet connections
or archive space available.

	There are several people who HAVE volunteered, we just need to get
the net.gods blessings on how to move one of them into the hot (er. host)
seat.

	BTW.. I did not mean to heavily criticize Raul nor do I really
accuse him of "abandonment".  It was a poor choice of words.  He is extremly
busy in his job (aren't we all?) and simply does not have the time.

--

w8sdz@smoke.BRL.MIL (Keith Petersen) (02/08/90)

davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.com (bill davidsen) writes:
>	1. Rahul called for resumes. He got only one (mine) and
>	   therefore told me I won.
>	2. I began preparing to handle the group on sixhub, ordering new
>	   disk and getting an alias on a well connected machine.
>	3. Rahul sent me part of the stuff used to make the postings. He
>	   sent me none of the backlog because I wasn't ready.
>	4. Keith Petersen asked Gene to appoint a new moderator.
[rest deleted]

I did not contact Gene Spafford.  I said he should be contacted.
After I said that, I continued to try to contact Rahul to find out
what was going on.

The real problem here is the silence from the people who were involved
in the changeover.  Why did they feel it was not necessary to let anyone
know what was going on, or at least that SOMETHING was happening?

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's CP/M, MSDOS, & MISC archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]