[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] 4DOS problems?

LC.YRS@forsythe.stanford.edu (Richard Stanton) (02/06/90)

I am trying 4DOS 2.21, which seems excellent except for a few
strange features.

Firstly, if I have a few commands in my AUTOEXEC.BAT file of the
form ... > nul:, eventually I run out of file control blocks. Using
a utility from SIMTEL, I found that in most cases, an entry is
created under the name NUL: for each occurrence, but not released.
Using COMMAND.COM instead, I do not get the same congestion. No
entries appear under the name NUL:. Does 4DOS forget to clear these
blocks, or is there some advantage to this?

Secondly, I have noticed that occasionally my directories get a
little corrupted. I just performed the following commands:

move cm.doc sent/cm0205.doc
move gg.doc sent/gg0205.doc

The commands were acknowledged, and the files were moved, but the
names in the SENT directory were cm0.doc and gg0.doc. I have also
had this sort of name truncation occur on other occasions.

Finally, and less importantly, I have set the directory format to
mimic the normal DIR format. Usually this works, but occasionally I
get entries of the form name.ext appearing in the middle of a
directory, where all the other names are in the form NAME   EXT.

Has anyone else noticed these oddities, and are they something I
should worry about? Apart from this, the program seems to be
absolutely wonderful, offering all the features I have countless
TSRS for in a single package.

Richard Stanton

ajr@inesc.UUCP (Julio Raposo) (02/07/90)

In article <7874@lindy.Stanford.EDU>, LC.YRS@forsythe.stanford.edu (Richard Stanton) writes:
> Secondly, I have noticed that occasionally my directories get a
> little corrupted. I just performed the following commands:
>
> move cm.doc sent/cm0205.doc
> move gg.doc sent/gg0205.doc
>
> The commands were acknowledged, and the files were moved, but the
> names in the SENT directory were cm0.doc and gg0.doc. I have also
> had this sort of name truncation occur on other occasions.

	Just thinking:
	Doesn't it look like DOS4 is truncating the pathname to 8 characters?
	It looks that if the new path were sentinel/gg0205.doc you would
  end up with a file called .doc ...

				Antonio Julio Raposo

			  (ajr@willy.inesc.pt - LISBOA - PORTUGAL)

toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (02/07/90)

In article <7874@lindy.Stanford.EDU> LC.YRS@forsythe.stanford.edu (Richard Stanton) writes:
>I am trying 4DOS 2.21, which seems excellent except for a few
>strange features.
[...]
>Secondly, I have noticed that occasionally my directories get a
>little corrupted. I just performed the following commands:

>move cm.doc sent/cm0205.doc
>move gg.doc sent/gg0205.doc

Perhaps the problem is you used "/" rather than "\" and 4dos somewhere has
"\" hardcoded as the separator.  Just a guess.

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
Standard Disclaimers Apply

austin@bucsf.bu.edu (Austin H. Ziegler, III) (02/07/90)

FCC: ~/News/.article-box

> In article <7874@lindy.Stanford.EDU>, LC.YRS@forsythe.stanford.edu
> (Richard Stanton) writes:

> Secondly, I have noticed that occasionally my directories get a
> little corrupted. I just performed the following commands:
>
> move cm.doc sent/cm0205.doc
> move gg.doc sent/gg0205.doc
>
> The commands were acknowledged, and the files were moved, but the
> names in the SENT directory were cm0.doc and gg0.doc. I have also
> had this sort of name truncation occur on other occasions.

	I think that it may be the fact that you are using the forward
slash.  4DOS allows the forward slash in many cases, but it still
recognizes the forward slash as a switch character, so move may be
interpreting the slash improperly.  I'd stick with the backslash until the
authors can fix this problem (but that could cause incompatibilities with
existing software...).

	I have a slight problem with my AUTOEXEC.BAT file and 4DOS.  It is
not anything drastic, but for some reason, 4DOS reports:

	Unknown command "".

I can only get that result from my AUTOEXEC.BAT.  Comments?

just my two bytes,
austin
| The surgeon general of the United States of America has determined that  |
| reading USENET turns your brain to jelly, leaving nothing to claim or to |
| disclaim. +--------------------------------------------------------------+
+-----------+ Austin Ziegler   austin@bucsf.bu.edu or austin@buengf.bu.edu |
| 700 Commonwealth Box 2094, Boston, Massachusetts  02215    BUENG '93     |

richard@calvin.spp.cornell.edu (Richard Brittain) (02/07/90)

In article <224@inesc.UUCP> ajr@inesc.UUCP (Julio Raposo) writes:
>In article <7874@lindy.Stanford.EDU>, LC.YRS@forsythe.stanford.edu (Richard Stanton) writes:
>> move cm.doc sent/cm0205.doc
>> move gg.doc sent/gg0205.doc
>>
>> The commands were acknowledged, and the files were moved, but the
>> names in the SENT directory were cm0.doc and gg0.doc. I have also
>> had this sort of name truncation occur on other occasions.
>>
>	Just thinking:
>	Doesn't it look like DOS4 is truncating the pathname to 8 characters?
>	It looks that if the new path were sentinel/gg0205.doc you would
>  end up with a file called .doc ...

It seems to me that 4DOS is not very friendly about allowing "/" as a
path separator (it is my only real gripe about it).  All the 4DOS
commands have "/" hardwired as the option switch, and since MOVE
has a possible option, I would guess that is the source of the problem.
Commands which take no options, like CD, are fine with "/" as a
directory separator.
It seems to me that 4DOS could quite easily allow a different option
switch for all it's internal commands, completely independant of the
DOS partially-documented and partially-supported switchar.

Richard Brittain,                   School of Elect. Eng.,  Upson Hall
                                    Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853
ARPA: richard@calvin.spp.cornell.edu
UUCP: {uunet,uw-beaver,rochester,cmcl2}!cornell!calvin!richard

fer@phyllis.math.binghamton.edu (fernando guzman) (02/08/90)

I have also had some problems with 4dos.
When running Kermit under 4dos, the kermit command "dir" is not properly
received by 4dos as a secondary shell.  Instead of getting the directory
listing, and returning to kermit, I end up in 4dos (as secondary shell) and an
error message of the form "-c command not found".  This problem does not occur
when I run kermit under command.com.
Is this a bug? or am I missing something?

Fernando

P.S.: Except for this problem, 4dos looks great!

toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (02/10/90)

In article <2942@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> fer@phyllis.math.binghamton.edu (fernando guzman) writes:
>I have also had some problems with 4dos.
>When running Kermit under 4dos, the kermit command "dir" is not properly
>received by 4dos as a secondary shell.  [...] I end up in 4dos (as secondary
>shell) and an error message of the form "-c command not found".

This is what I believe is happening. You have set your switch character to "-".
Kermit, using the COMSPEC environment variable and the switch character
composes the command (which it execs) "4dos -c dir". But 4dos doesn't
recognize alternate switch characters (after all, it was never part of DOS
officially), so it sees "-c" as the name of a program to run, and gives
the error message. Change your switch character back to "/" and all will be
well.

>This problem does not occur
>when I run kermit under command.com.

Because command.com (at least some versions) will recognize alternate
switch characters.

>Is this a bug? or am I missing something?

It's not a bug, it's a feature!

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
Standard Disclaimers Apply

grano@cs.Helsinki.FI (Kari Gran|) (02/10/90)

	I am using MSKERMIT 3.00 with 4DOS 2.21 and have experienced no
problems with KERMITs 'dir'-command. Maybe it's a configuration problem?

	One problem I have encountered, though, is the command sequence

	EXCEPT (*.*) DEL /P

which hangs my machine (AT). Don't tell me it's a silly way to do it; I was
just experimenting with the EXCEPT prefix :-).  Has anyone encountered
this?  Otherwise it's really promising product.. something that the guys
at Microsoft should've done a long, long time ago.

Kari.
--
Kari Grano	grano@cs.helsinki.fi	Hey, my opinions are just mine..
	"I've got a thousand telephones that don't ring" - R.Z.

person@plains.UUCP (Brett G. Person) (02/11/90)

I've had some problems with 4dos letting the cursor run wild.  It will send
the curor cruising down across the screen and will merely echo the breaks I
send.  This doesn't happen often, however.  Anyone else have this problem?
--
Brett G. Person
North Dakota State University