From heidt@aio.jesnet.jsc.nasa.gov Mon Feb 12 13:27:21 1990
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 90 12:23:59 CST
From: heidt@aio.jesnet.jsc.nasa.gov (Mike Heidt)
To: ctne_ltd (Chris Newbold)
Subject: Re: Looking for X-Windows for MS-DOS

We use something called pcxsight from Locus computing (the same folks who
do dos under unix). It is by no means free, but seems to work reasonably well.
It really needs a fast 286 or a good 386 to be useful. There is (or at least
was) a version for PCs, but it is S..L..O..W and runs out of X resources
very fast. The 286/386 version does protected mode so it can make use of
extended memory. Price is around $250, I think.

	Locus is at:
			Locus Computing Corp.
			9800 La Cienega Blvd.
			Los Angeles, Ca. 90301-4440
			(213) 670-2980

	Mike Heidt  Heidt@aio.jesnet.jsc.nasa.gov

--
University of Rochester	*  		  will screw it up."		     *
Disclaimer: "All warranties expire upon payment of invoice."
ctne_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu * uhura.cc.rochester.edu!ctne_ltd@uunet

dlucy@tropez.UUCP (Doug Lucy) (02/18/90)

I just talked to the Boston sales rep from Locus yesterday and the story
on Locus's X Windows for DOS runs something like this:

	PC Xsight is for DOS machines with more than 1 Mb of RAM

	PC Xsight/640 is for DOS machines with up to 1 Mb of RAM

	PC Xsight can be purchased with Locus's TCP/IP for DOS which
	has been "streamlined" for DOS & X Windows, their description
	went something like "our TCP/IP is made for PC Xsight and
	runs in less memory and is faster than other [full-blown]
	TCP/IP fo DOS packages".

--

  "It's such a fine line between clever..."     < Doug Lucy           DC Pro >
  "...and stupid."                              < uucp:   uunet!tropez!dlucy >