[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] LISTSERV

joshua@tc.fluke.COM (John B. "JB" LaRue) (12/20/89)

I've sent out at least three requests to listserv@vm1.nodak.edu and not
gotten one response, for a week. Does anyone know what's can be wrong?
Usually I get a response overnight...

jbl

    *******
joshua@tc-fluke.COM
John LaRue
John Fluke Mfg. Co
PO Box C9090 (m/s 116a)
Everett WA 98206
(206) 356-5753

--
    John LaRue            John Fluke Mfg. Co, Inc.             (206) 356-5753
    joshua@tc.fluke.COM   {uw-beaver,microsoft,sun}!fluke!joshua

shurr@cbnews.ATT.COM (Larry A. Shurr) (12/22/89)

In article <13420@fluke.COM> joshua@tc.fluke.COM (John B. "JB" LaRue) writes:
>I've sent out at least three requests to listserv@vm1.nodak.edu and not
>gotten one response, for a week. Does anyone know what's can be wrong?
>Usually I get a response overnight...

I have experience delays of up to three days in the delivery my "orders"
from vm1, however I've been receiving delivery within 24 - 36 hours for
the past several weeks and 24-hour delivery all this past week.

regards, Larry
--
Signed: Larry A. Shurr (cbema!las@att.ATT.COM or att!cbema!las)
Clever signature, Wonderful wit, Outdo the others, Be a big hit! - Burma Shave

wnbell@acsu.Buffalo.EDU (william n bell) (02/20/90)

Does anyone know how to get simtel20 files from a listserv?
I tried listserv@ndsuvm1.bitnet but the server said "Use a closer"
one.

Any help will be appreciated.

Out Of Touch BBS - 716-825-4268 from 8pm-8am!
 FIDO 1:260/170... Online games!

w8sdz@smoke.BRL.MIL (Keith Petersen) (02/20/90)

wnbell@acsu.Buffalo.EDU (william n bell) writes:
>Does anyone know how to get simtel20 files from a listserv?
>I tried listserv@ndsuvm1.bitnet but the server said "Use a closer"
>one.

Because your host is on the Internet you should be using FTP to get
files from SIMTEL20.  It places a lot less load on the network and the
mail system.

If you must use LISTSERV from an Internet host, do NOT send your
requests to the BITNET address.  Use this address instead:

     LISTSERV@VM1.NODAK.EDU

The folks at the BITNET<->Internet gateways will thank you because your
email and the files you request will not go through their host.

Keith

--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's CP/M, MSDOS, & MISC archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]

mholtz@sactoh0.UUCP (Mark A. Holtz) (02/21/90)

In article <17997@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU>, wnbell@acsu.Buffalo.EDU (william n bell) writes:
> Does anyone know how to get simtel20 files from a listserv?

I have used the following script in order to download the files
from Simtel20. It utilizes elm's fastmail command. Oh, and I didn't
write it, and I cannot remember who did. Enjoy.

#-------- BEGIN -----------------
# 'file' is location of a temporary file
file=/tmp/simrequest
# 'me' is my mail address
me=ames!pacbell!sactoh0!${LOGNAME:?}
# 'listserv' is address of list server
listserv=ames!vm1.nodak.edu!listserv
#listserv=ames!vm.ecs.rpi.edu!listserv
# print help if they goofed
if (test "$#" -ne "3")
  then
    echo
    echo "EXAMPLE: getsimtel pd1 msdos.filedocs simibm.arc"
    exit
fi
echo "Processing SIMTEL request . . . . please wait a minute."
echo "/PDGET MAIL $1:<$2>$3 ( UUENCODE" > $file
# mail our request, 'fastmail' from ELM product
fastmail -r $me -F $me -s Request $file $listserv
echo "SIMTEL request sent. Please wait a day or so for receipt."
--
{ames att sun}!pacbell! \                 <-> America OnLine: Mark Holtz
        ucdavis!csusac! -> sactoh0!mholtz <=>       GEnie: M.HOLTZ