[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Using stuff on comp.binaries.ibm.pc

huggins@dip.eecs.umich.edu (James K. Huggins) (02/19/90)

(Not sure if this is the appropriate place for this.  If it's not,
my apologies.)

I'm kinda new to the net.  What do I have to do to get the program
postings in comp.binaries.ibm.pc into an executable form in my system?
I have all the IBM compression stuff (arc,zoo,zip,lharc,etc.) on
my PC.  What do I do to get the stuff out of the newsgroup and into
a form that my utilities understand?

Please e-mail responses.  Thanks.
 -- Jim Huggins, UMichigan

lhv@spocm2.UUCP (Leo Vermeulen) (02/21/90)

In article <1499@zipeecs.umich.edu>, huggins@dip.eecs.umich.edu (James K. Huggins) writes:
> I'm kinda new to the net.  What do I have to do to get the program
> postings in comp.binaries.ibm.pc into an executable form in my system?
> I have all the IBM compression stuff (arc,zoo,zip,lharc,etc.) on
> my PC.  What do I do to get the stuff out of the newsgroup and into
> a form that my utilities understand?
>
> Please e-mail responses.  Thanks.
>  -- Jim Huggins, UMichigan

Could you e-mail me too, please?? Better still, is there a periodic posting
describing this sort of stuff?

Please mail, or post

Leo Vermeulen, Philips TDS, Stockholm, Sweden            |   This is an       |
               (uucp:  ..!uunet!mcsun!sunic!spocm2!lhv)  |   empty box        |
-------------- (voice: + (46) 8 782 1081) ---------------+--------------------|

oneill@bass.bu.edu (Brian V O'Neill) (02/22/90)

Under Rahul, there was a periodic posting of two New User manuals I wrote,
one for using binaries in c.b.i.p and one for using FTP, along with a
Starter's Kit. I had updated the files (including adding a ZIP unpacker and
zoo extractor to the Starter's Kit) and sent it to Rahul some time ago, just
before he had to relinquish his position of moderator. I assume it was in
the backlog, and Bill Davidsen should eventually post it sometime soon when
binaries start to flow. If not I'll contact him about some new copies. In
the meantime, these files can be requested via automatic mail server from
the following address:

		uuserve@bu-tyng.bu.edu

And sending the following text in the body of the message:

ascii
send bin.man
send ftp.man
send starter.kit
end

This will transfer all 3 files via e-mail. If you don't need a particular
manual, omit that line. Don't forget the 'ascii' as the first thing and the
'end' as the last thing, and they must be at the beginning of the line.

Brian O'Neill - Local Internet Access Account
Internet: oneill@bu-pub.bu.edu
UUCP    : ...!bu.edu!bu-pub!oneill