[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Volume/Issue Numbering in comp.binaries.ibm.pc

tim@brspyr1.BRS.Com (Tim Northrup) (02/23/90)

:From exos:brspyr1!tim@crdgw1.crd.ge.com Wed Feb 21 18:32:27 1990
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 90 18:11:22 EST
From: exos:brspyr1!tim@crdgw1.crd.ge.com
To: exos:ibmbin-request@crdgw1.crd.ge.com
Subject: Volume/Issue numbering in comp.binaries.ibm.pc

[ I mailed the original discussion of this issue to Bill, and he
  suggested I bring it up with the public at large, so on with the show
					-- Tim ]

In Email to ibm-request@sixhub.UUCP, I wrote:
: Bill;
: 	A question about volume/issue numbering.  Most (if not all) of
: 	the other sources/binaries groups assign individual issue
: 	numbers to each MESSAGE, as opposed to each PROGRAM; this
: 	allows people to quickly determine whether they are missing
: 	articles or not (since there would be gaps in the numbers).
: 	The way you have it now, this is not so easy since you also
: 	need to check that you have all of the PIECES of the program.
: 	The "Part xx/yy" at the end of the subject heading is useful,
: 	but if the description of the program is of any length, then
: 	that info gets truncated off of the end of the screen (at least
: 	using nn).
:
: 	For my two cents worth, I would prefer that each individual
: 	article have its own unique number.
:
: 							-- Tim
:
: 	(PS: It is *great* to see some activity in that group again!)

To which Bill replied with the following:
| Tim,
|
|   Rahul sent me the software to produce the postings from a starting zoo
| file, and I don't *think* anything I've done has changed that. This
| would be a good topic to bring up in c.b.i.p.d to kick around, but it
| would take some time to make the change.
|
| --
| bill davidsen	(davidsen@crdos1.crd.GE.COM -or- uunet!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen)
|             "Stupidity, like virtue, is its own reward" -me

So now you know the story so far ... anyone else have feelings on this
one way or the other?
					-- Tim
--