[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Automatically Uploading from a PC to a Unix Machine

jz@goanna.oz.au (Jihan Zhu) (02/21/90)

Hello, there:

I am looking for PD software that can automatically upload a whole hard disk
or a subdirectory from a PC to a Unix machine, so that the user does not need to
baby-sit it.

Can you respond to me by e-mail please?

Thank you in advance!

 Jihan Zhu				ACSNET:  jz@goanna.cs.rmit.OZ.AU
 RMIT Department of Computer Science  	UUCP:	 ...!uunet!goanna.oz.au!jz
 Melbourne  3001, AUSTRALIA.
 Phone: +61 3 660 2348
 FAX:   +61 3 662 1617

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (02/22/90)

In article <2895@goanna.oz.au> jz@goanna.oz.au (Jihan Zhu) writes:

>I am looking for PD software that can automatically upload a whole hard disk
>or a subdirectory from a PC to a Unix machine, so that the user does not need to
>baby-sit it.

Procomm, Telix, and Kermit (and many other telecommunication
programs) have what is called a script command language.  If one has
some programming experience (with any language) it should not be
overly difficult to write scripts to do what you want.  - No, I do
not have such a script for a whole harddisk to give you, but I have
a method for uploading a whole directory semi-automatically using
MsKermit.  It is included in the (/pc/ts/)tskerm24.arc package,
which was announced very recently here.  (Available by anonymous ftp
from chyde.uwasa.fi, and so are Procomm 2.4.3, Telix 3.12, and
MsKermit 3.00.)

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

CMH117@psuvm.psu.edu (Charles Hannum) (02/22/90)

In article <1990Feb21.194200.25312@uwasa.fi>, ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK)
says:

>In article <2895@goanna.oz.au> jz@goanna.oz.au (Jihan Zhu) writes:
>>
>>I am looking for PD software that can automatically upload a whole hard disk
>>or a subdirectory from a PC to a Unix machine, so that the user does not need
>>baby-sit it.

The batch processing capability of the ZMODEM protocol would work nicely.  I
don't know where to get Unix sources, though.  (Anyone out there know where to
get sz/rz?)

Virtually,
- Charles Martin Hannum II       "Klein bottle for sale ... inquire within."
    (That's Charles to you!)     "To life immortal!"
  cmh117@psuvm.{bitnet,psu.edu}  "No noozzzz izzz netzzzsnoozzzzz..."
  c9h@psuecl.{bitnet,psu.edu}    "Mem'ry, all alone in the moonlight ..."

jmd@umree.isc.umr.edu (Jim Dumser) (02/23/90)

In article <90052.181928CMH117@psuvm.psu.edu> CMH117@psuvm.psu.edu (Charles Hannum) writes:
>The batch processing capability of the ZMODEM protocol would work nicely.  I
>don't know where to get Unix sources, though.  (Anyone out there know where to
>get sz/rz?)

I have the sources to rzsz303, but I don't know that we have an anon ftp
account set up here.  I'd rather not have to mail people copies, but if none
of the archives have this version (I just checked wuarchive; they have
rzsz as a comp.sources.atari posting, but no version mentioned), I can
ftp it to one of them.  Send me e-mail if you can't find it, and I'll upload
it to SIMTEL20.

Jim

|  The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge,  |
| but fools despise wisdom and discipline. Proverbs 1:7 |
|-------------------------------------------------------|
|    Internet: jmd@ee.umr.edu     |  M S - D O S . . .  |
|    UUCP: ...uunet!umree!jmd     |    Just say "NO!"   |

wsinrn@lso.win.tue.nl (Wietse Venema) (02/23/90)

In article <90052.181928CMH117@psuvm.psu.edu> CMH117@psuvm.psu.edu (Charles Hannum) writes:
*
*In article <1990Feb21.194200.25312@uwasa.fi>, ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK)
*says:
*>
*>In article <2895@goanna.oz.au> jz@goanna.oz.au (Jihan Zhu) writes:
*>>
*>>I am looking for PD software that can automatically upload a whole hard disk
*>>or a subdirectory from a PC to a Unix machine, so that the user does not need
*>>baby-sit it.
*
*The batch processing capability of the ZMODEM protocol would work nicely.  I
*don't know where to get Unix sources, though.  (Anyone out there know where to
*get sz/rz?)
*
*
*Virtually,
*- Charles Martin Hannum II

Of course, try SIMTEL-20, <MISC.UNIX>RZSZ0525.TAR-Z for the sources.
Worked for me, though I can't get DSZ to talk to it, telix works, but
most people here use kermit, you can push to dos to run dsz to receive
the files, and then return.

RJN
--
Rob J. Nauta                        wsinrn@eutws1.win.tue.nl