[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Herc 43 Line Text

trgauchat@lion.waterloo.edu (Terry Gauchat) (02/16/90)

I have been desperately searching (though not hard) for a program which
will switch a Herc compatible card into 43 (?) line text mode, from DOS.

More specifically, I wish to use 43 line mode with WordPerfect 5.0.

Any help is appreciated...

...Terry.

fredex@cg-atla.UUCP (Fred Smith) (02/19/90)

In article <20957@watdragon.waterloo.edu> trgauchat@lion.waterloo.edu (Terry Gauchat) writes:
>I have been desperately searching (though not hard) for a program which
>will switch a Herc compatible card into 43 (?) line text mode, from DOS.
>
>More specifically, I wish to use 43 line mode with WordPerfect 5.0.
>
>...Terry.

Well, I think you are out of luck here, Terry. A Hercules card is fully
compatible with the old IBM monochrome adapter, and as such has only the
standard 25X80 text mode.

You are probably thinking of having seen Microsoft Word running in 43 line
mode on a Hercules graphics card. Word does this by actually putting the
display in graphics mode and managing the whole thing itself. (I run it
in that mode and find it to be just LOVELY!) Unfortunately you can't
just do it for any ole program, since it is NOT a standard text mode.

Fred

jap7g@mendel.acc.Virginia.EDU (Jim A. Pisano) (02/23/90)

In article <20957@watdragon.waterloo.edu> trgauchat@lion.waterloo.edu (Terry Gauchat) writes:
>I have been desperately searching (though not hard) for a program which
>will switch a Herc compatible card into 43 (?) line text mode, from DOS.
>
>More specifically, I wish to use 43 line mode with WordPerfect 5.0.
>
>Any help is appreciated...
>
>...Terry.

There is a program called ScreenExtender from Stairway Software which
allows you to run WordPerfect 5 with up to 58 rows & 128 columns.

Sorry, but I don't have Stairway's address or phone # at hand.  If you
need it, then send me mail & I'll find it for you.

-Jim
| Jim Pisano                                           jap7g@Virginia.EDU    |
| Department of Psychology                             uunet!virginia!jap7g  |
| 102 Gilmer Hall, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA 22903         |
|____________________________________________________________________________|

richard@calvin.spp.cornell.edu (Richard Brittain) (02/23/90)

>In article <20957@watdragon.waterloo.edu> trgauchat@lion.waterloo.edu (Terry Gauchat) writes:
>>I have been desperately searching (though not hard) for a program which
>>will switch a Herc compatible card into 43 (?) line text mode, from DOS.
>>
>>More specifically, I wish to use 43 line mode with WordPerfect 5.0.
>>
>>Any help is appreciated...
>>
>>...Terry.

In a catalogue from TSL which I just got, there is a program listed
called HERCBIOS which claims to add all the normal text mode bios calls
to a hercules display running in graphics mode, using different fonts to
get 43 lines and 90 columns.  I guess it's shareware but the TSL catalogue
doesn't say.
Anyone tried this ?

Richard Brittain,                   School of Elect. Eng.,  Upson Hall
                                    Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853
ARPA: richard@calvin.spp.cornell.edu
UUCP: {uunet,uw-beaver,rochester,cmcl2}!cornell!calvin!richard

trgauchat@lion.waterloo.edu (Terry Gauchat) (02/23/90)

In article <1990Feb23.085518.612@calvin.spp.cornell.edu> richard@calvin.spp.cornell.edu (Richard Brittain) writes:
}
}In a catalogue from TSL which I just got, there is a program listed
}called HERCBIOS which claims to add all the normal text mode bios calls
}to a hercules display running in graphics mode, using different fonts to
}get 43 lines and 90 columns.  I guess it's shareware but the TSL catalogue
}doesn't say.
}Anyone tried this ?
}

HERCBIOS sounds interesting (I wonder what the speed is like?).

If anyone has more info, please post or mail!

Thank-you...

(P.S. General conclusions have been that HERC has no 43 line mode in
		hardware.  Lotus 1-2-3 etc. have been noted to use software to
		emulate (i.e. graphics).  I had used 43/50? lines on a ATI or
		similar multi-card in HERC mode! ... )

...Terry.

dmt@pegasus.ATT.COM (Dave Tutelman) (02/26/90)

In article <1990Feb23.085518.612@calvin.spp.cornell.edu> richard@calvin.spp.cornell.edu (Richard Brittain) writes:
>>In article <20957@watdragon.waterloo.edu> trgauchat@lion.waterloo.edu (Terry Gauchat) writes:
>>>I have been desperately searching (though not hard) for a program which
>>>will switch a Herc compatible card into 43 (?) line text mode, from DOS.
>
>In a catalogue from TSL which I just got, there is a program listed
>called HERCBIOS which claims to add all the normal text mode bios calls
>to a hercules display running in graphics mode, using different fonts to
>get 43 lines and 90 columns.  I guess it's shareware but the TSL catalogue
>doesn't say.
>Anyone tried this ?

There are two packages around called HERCBIOS.  I wrote one of them.
It is shareware, and it does support a 43-line, 90-column mode.
I've already Emailed a copy to Terry.

I've refrained from posting it because of the controversy over shareware.
But if there's enough sentiment, I'd be glad to.
(All the stuff I have posted is free.  The last year's have been portable
source postings, so they've gone to comp.sources.misc.)

Just for information, the distribution is a binary TSR with instructions.
The TSR front-ends the video BIOS (Int 10) and takes over the operation
of any graphics-mode call, and a few others.  I've attached the README
file at the end of this note.

Dave
|    Dave Tutelman						|
|    Physical - AT&T Bell Labs  -  Lincroft, NJ			|
|    Logical -  ...att!pegasus!dmt				|
|    Audible -  (201) 576 2194 (office)				|
|		(201) 922 9576 (home)				|

                README FILE FOR HERCBIOS 2.1

HERCBIOS is a front end for the video BIOS (INT 10h).
It provides BIOS functionality for Hercules boards and their clones.
The video modes supported are:
   - 4,5, and 6: Emulation of CGA.
   - 7: Monochrome character mode.
   - 8 and 9: Native Hercules graphics modes, with two different
     character densities, 29-line and 43-line.

The files in this distribution are:
        README          This introductory file.
        HERCBIOS.DOC    The documentation for use of the program.
        HERCBIOS.COM    The terminate-and-stay-resident program that
                        hooks INT 10 and front-ends the BIOS.
        TESTPIX.C       A demo and test program.
        HERCPIXL.C      A Turbo C "library" for the demo/test.
        TESTPIX.EXE     The executable of the demo/test.

This program is shareware, not public domain.  The statement of copyright
is included in the documentation.  Briefly summarized:
   - You may give away copies of this program, provided you give away the
     whole archive intact.
   - You may not charge money for this program (exceptions detailed in the
     documentation).
   - If you find this program useful, you are requested to register with
     the author.  Registration entitles you to a copy of the source code.
     Registration costs $15.

                Dave Tutelman
                16 Tilton Drive
                Wayside, NJ 07712