[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] VUIMG Blows Mono Monitors

src@cup.portal.com (Steve R Calwas) (02/27/90)

The VUIMG GIF/TIFF file viewer that was recently posted to c.b.i.p may have
a serious problem when run on a Hercules monochrome system.  My monitor
"blew up" with a high pitched whine followed by a sharp pop about 5 seconds
into displaying its first GIF file.  The picture went dead and the monitor
was wasted.  It could be a coincidence that my monitor died just at this
time, but you'll understand if I don't try it again with my new monitor...

Other, less destructive, problems were found with the program before this
happened e.g. trying to change the display mode from the default VGA to
Hercules using the main menu ("M" function) would accept the Hercules
setting (3) and then prompt to hit Enter to continue, but the system was
hung.

Steve Calwas                     src@cup.portal.com
Santa Clara, CA                  ...!sun!cup.portal.com!src

fredrick@wk1.uucp (Timothy Fredrick) (02/28/90)

In article <27358@cup.portal.com> src@cup.portal.com (Steve R Calwas) writes:

>The VUIMG GIF/TIFF file viewer that was recently posted to c.b.i.p may have
>a serious problem when run on a Hercules monochrome system.  My monitor
>"blew up" with a high pitched whine followed by a sharp pop about 5 seconds
>into displaying its first GIF file.

>Hercules using the main menu ("M" function) would accept the Hercules
>setting (3) and then prompt to hit Enter to continue, but the system was
>hung.

Today, I used this version of vuimg on a Hercules Monitor attached to
a Dell 200 PC/AT computer running PC DOS 3.3.  I didn't experience any
problem viewing files in the monochrome mode, nor did I experience any
problems switching from the default VGA setting.  As Steve Calwas
acknowledged, it is possible the monitor failure was coincidental.  I
just wanted to let everyone know the program worked for me.  --Tim