[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] everex and seagate hard drives

fer@phyllis.math.binghamton.edu (fernando guzman) (03/03/90)

In article <23188@usc.edu> kjh@pollux.usc.edu (Kenneth J. Hendrickson) writes:

>		I advise you not to buy Everex products.
>
>I just recently got a Seagate ST-4096 hard disk which was repackaged by
>Everex.  The documentation which came with the disk was incorrect.  The
>software which came with the disk has serious bugs.
>
> Using the software provided by Everex led to other working systems in my
> computer becoming non-functional.  After calling the vendor, and talking
> to their technical support people, I learned that Everex admits that
> their software does not work.  The vendor agreed to ship me a copy of
> Seagate's software.  I haven't received it yet, but I expect it to work
> just fine.

Do not be so sure.  I am trying to install an ST-277R-1 hard disk, to
replace an ST-238R.  It came with software made by ONTRACK for SEAGATE,
so this is official SEAGATE software.  Here are some of the problems I
am having:
1. The formatting and partitioning program, Disk Manager, does not
recognize the drive correctly.  The specs for the ST-277R are:
820 cylinders, 6 heads, 26 sectors/track
for a total of 65Mb.
DM has these values on its table, but when ST-277R is selected, it
formats the disk as
1023 cylinders, 6 heads, 17 sectors/track
for a total of 52Mb.
2. DM recommends creating a small DOS partition, since the BIOS will
only recognize 4 heads, and parts of this first partition will be
wasted.  That sounds reasonable, but the BIOS on the WC1002-27X
controller is supposed to handle up to 16 heads and is currently set
up for up to 8 heads.
3. DM installs the system files on the first partition, but on exiting
DM, the hard disk is not bootable.  It just hungs in there.

To sum up, I have now a non-bootable hard disk, with 53Mb usable (and
12Mb lost somewhere) in 3 partitions.

Without the dmdrvr.bin driver that came with DM, only the first (1Mb)
of the 3 partitions is usable, but all files stored previously using
the dmdrvr.bin  device driver, are garbage.  Conversely, anything I
store without  dmdrvr.bin becomes garbage when the device driver is loaded.

Fernando Guzman