[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Need to know how to convert files

ain149e1@merrimack.edu (02/19/90)

Hi!

Two things.  First, the face of Mars program that was put out on the board,
is that a UNIX program?

Secondly, What utility do people use for taking these text "binaries" to
real binaries so that I can run these on my system?  If anyone knows of one,
please E-mail me the information at the following address

IN%"ain149e1@Merrimack.EDU"
OR
IN%"YetmanK@Merrimack.EDU"

lhv@spocm2.UUCP (Leo Vermeulen) (02/21/90)

In article <18571.25df2695@merrimack.edu>, ain149e1@merrimack.edu writes:
> Two things.  First, the face of Mars program that was put out on the board,
> is that a UNIX program?
>
> Secondly, What utility do people use for taking these text "binaries" to
> real binaries so that I can run these on my system?  If anyone knows of one,
> please E-mail me the information at the following address

Excuse my ignorance, but I think that when you post a thing like that, the
least you can do is to indicate how to use the it! I'm thinking of
something like the standard header that the 'shar' routines add. It doesn't
cost a lot extra, and new users like ourselves don't have to ask obvious
questions. Anybody got an opinion on this?

PS. I would really appreciate an explanation of this 'face of Mars' thing.
Leo Vermeulen, Philips TDS, Stockholm, Sweden            |   This is an       |
               (uucp:  ..!uunet!mcsun!sunic!spocm2!lhv)  |   empty box        |
-------------- (voice: + (46) 8 782 1081) ---------------+--------------------|

ash@mlacus.oz (Ash Nallawalla) (03/03/90)

In article <1102@spocm2.UUCP>, lhv@spocm2.UUCP (Leo Vermeulen) writes:
> least you can do is to indicate how to use the it! I'm thinking of
> something like the standard header that the 'shar' routines add. It doesn't
> cost a lot extra, and new users like ourselves don't have to ask obvious
> questions. Anybody got an opinion on this?
>
> PS. I would really appreciate an explanation of this 'face of Mars' thing.

I sympathise with Leo and other newcomers. Some of us here are not unix
programmers, operators, or gurus, but there is no substitute for patience
and determination. When I was a grad student I had three years of access to
this forum, but it was only after I started sending mail to strangers that
I started getting replies to my questions. If someone does not post a
'frequently asked questions' list, the next best thing is to just observe the
proceedings for a few months, or send mail direct to the poster. Some
'identities' whose names grace USENET daily are too busy to reply, and others
use smart techniques to ignore incoming mail from designated people - so
don't bother asking the same person more than twice.

re "how to unpack", such questions are asked and answered regularly, but we
usually skip them if they are irrelevant to us at the time. This is a great
forum to sit back and ask a question that has been asked before - someone
will answer it, perhaps; some will tell you to to read the manual (RTFM).
Well, some people read parts of USEneT from say a gated MS-DOS bulletin
board, and have no access to say a unix manual. So the next best thing is to
backtrack to the earliest posting that is still on your local machine and
see if someone answered your question last week.

Why don't I answer the particular question raised here - re 'face of mars'
thing? I could take a guess, and say from memory that it is probably a GIF
file that probably needs a VGA card, a GIF viewer etc, but I don't know
enough to give a definitive answer without confusing the issue.

To finish my comments, which are directed at newcomers, not specifically
to Leo - remember to participate when you feel confident enough. Send a
reply to someone who seems to know less than you do. It is infectious.
Ash Nallawalla        Tel: +61 3 823-1959  Fax: +61 3 820-1434
ZL4LM/VK3CIT          Postal: P.O. Box 539, Werribee VIC 3030, Australia.