[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Lharc version 1.14 beta

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (02/18/90)

From: Timo Salmi LASK<ts>
Subject: Re: Binaries and which packing (Was Re: xx vs. uu)
To: austin%bucsf.BU.EDU@bu.edu (Austin Ziegler)
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 90 9:46:49 EET DST

Austin mailed the following question:

> 	In the SIMIBM.IDX file, the latest version of LHArc is LH113c.EXE
> and there are files surrounding it saying that LH114 is a fraud.  I'm just
> wondering if a valid 1.14 or higher has come out...

Here is my answer going to Austin and the news:

Yes.  I know of the rumor, but (/pc/pd2/)lh114b.exe at
chyde.uwasa.fi is a later version than indicated by it.  The hacked
version called the packed files .ice, but our lh114b version seems
to be ok.  Of course one never knows, but I have not heard
complaints about this version.  But thanks for contacting me with
the information.  If anyone knows more about this, please post for
the net to know.
   All the best,  Timo

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

paul@cgh.UUCP (Paul Homchick) (02/19/90)

In article <1990Feb18.075439.19937@uwasa.fi> ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) writes:
>Yes.  I know of the rumor, but (/pc/pd2/)lh114b.exe at
>chyde.uwasa.fi is a later version than indicated by it.  The hacked
>version called the packed files .ice, but our lh114b version seems
>to be ok.  Of course one never knows, but I have not heard
>complaints about this version.  But thanks for contacting me with
>the information.  If anyone knows more about this, please post for
>the net to know.

A Japanese mathematics professor living in Tokyo, Kejirou Okubo,
uploaded the original copy of LHARC to the GEnie network here in the
U.S. last March.  Kenjirou has kept in touch with the Sysops of the
IBM area on GEnie and he reports the current status of LHARC as:

1.  LHARC 1.13C is the most recent version here in the U.S.
2.  There is a patch in Japan fixing some (very) small bugs which
    brings the level up to 1.13D.  This patch was uploaded to GEnie
    but it was for the Japanese version (Kanji) and did not work.
3.  There is a new version just around the corner.  It will be
    released as 2.00 and will have better compression (better than
    PKZIP v1.20).  There was a beta version of this, numbered 1.91
    that was available in Japan, and to several individuals in
    the U.S. but it had known bugs and was never released.

If I see the new version, I'll be certain to forward it to Bill
Davidsen for distribution on comp.binaries.ibm.pc.  I hope this info
helps dispel some rumors!
--
Paul Homchick                    :UUCP     {rutgers | uunet} !cbmvax!cgh!paul
Chimitt Gilman Homchick, Inc.    :Internet           cgh!paul@manta.pha.pa.us

root@leap.UUCP (Postmaster) (03/03/90)

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) writes:

> From: Timo Salmi LASK<ts>
> Subject: Re: Binaries and which packing (Was Re: xx vs. uu)
> To: austin%bucsf.BU.EDU@bu.edu (Austin Ziegler)
> Date: Sun, 18 Feb 90 9:46:49 EET DST
>
> Austin mailed the following question:
> >
> > 	In the SIMIBM.IDX file, the latest version of LHArc is LH113c.EXE
> > and there are files surrounding it saying that LH114 is a fraud.  I'm just
> > wondering if a valid 1.14 or higher has come out...
> >

> Here is my answer going to Austin and the news:
>
> Yes.  I know of the rumor, but (/pc/pd2/)lh114b.exe at
> chyde.uwasa.fi is a later version than indicated by it.  The hacked
> version called the packed files .ice, but our lh114b version seems
> to be ok.  Of course one never knows, but I have not heard
> complaints about this version.  But thanks for contacting me with
> the information.  If anyone knows more about this, please post for
> the net to know.
>    All the best,  Timo

> Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)
> School of Business Studies, University of Vaasa, SF-65101, Finland
> Internet: ts@chyde.uwasa.fi Funet: gado::salmi Bitnet: salmi@finfun

Where can one get the latest version of lharc?  I mean.. a good copy...

K Russell
root@leap.UUCP