[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Frac game posted to c.b.i.p

sarathy@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Rajiv Sarathy) (03/04/90)

It's probably just a coincidence, but the following series of events
occurred a couple of days ago (Thursday, I think):

	1. I read news.
	2. I downloaded, uncompressed, etc. a game "Frac" posted a couple
		of days ago -- a 3d "Tetris".
	3. Played game several times (and scored miserably).
	4. Used computer yesterday without problems.
	5. Used computer today without problems.
	6. Until I noticed that my AT's system clock had been changed to
		01-01-1980 -- the same date that the copy of "Frac" has on
		my hard-disk.  This may just be because the date was somehow
		reset BEFORE I downloaded Frac (plausible), or because
		Frac plays with the CMOS.

Did anyone else who downloaded frac experience this problem?
Please say no!!

--Raj

--

 Rajiv Partha Sarathy  	      _  _ /^\    INTERNET sarathy@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca
 ................ooooooooOOOO(_)(_)\_/      BITNET sarathy@utorgpu.bitnet

scott@kong.gatech.edu (Scott Coulter) (03/04/90)

sarathy@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Rajiv Sarathy) writes:
>the following series of events occurred a couple of days ago:
>[stuff deleted]
>	6. Until I noticed that my AT's system clock had been changed to
>		01-01-1980 -- the same date that the copy of "Frac" has on
>		my hard-disk.  This may just be because the date was somehow
>		reset BEFORE I downloaded Frac (plausible), or because
>		Frac plays with the CMOS.
>Did anyone else who downloaded frac experience this problem?
>Please say no!!
>--Raj

I'm happy to report that I've used this game for several days on two
different systems (an AT and a PS/2) and have not seen the problem
you described.

regards,
Scott Coulter

P.S. I trust I'm not the only one thoroughly addicted to this game?
It is the perfect step up for any Tetris enthusiast.  A hearty "thanks"
to the authors!
Scott D. Coulter        Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332
uucp: {most anywhere}!gatech!kong!scott         Internet: scott@kong.gatech.edu
"Sometimes I just sit back & close my eyes; I enjoy the view"--Michael W. Smith

lhv@spocm2.UUCP (Leo Vermeulen) (03/05/90)

In article <1990Mar4.002359.19030@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca>, sarathy@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Rajiv Sarathy) writes:
> It's probably just a coincidence, but the following series of events
> occurred a couple of days ago (Thursday, I think):
>
> 	1. I read news.
> 	2. I downloaded, uncompressed, etc. a game "Frac" posted a couple
> 		of days ago -- a 3d "Tetris".
> 	3. Played game several times (and scored miserably).
> 	4. Used computer yesterday without problems.
> 	5. Used computer today without problems.
> 	6. Until I noticed that my AT's system clock had been changed to
> 		01-01-1980 -- the same date that the copy of "Frac" has on
> 		my hard-disk.  This may just be because the date was somehow
> 		reset BEFORE I downloaded Frac (plausible), or because
> 		Frac plays with the CMOS.
>
> Did anyone else who downloaded frac experience this problem?
> Please say no!!
>
> --Raj

The same thing happened here. I hadn't made the connection between the
Frac game and the date/time being reset, but it is very plausible.

Yesterday I tried to do a disk back-up to tape streamer. I started the
procedure as usual, but the 'fastape' software I use complained, saying
'You will not be allowed to use this software until you have properly
set the system date and time!'. I then checked the date and time which
were set to 6 Jan 1980, and 13:08:20. The date had changed, but the time
was still correct. I blamed it initially on some experimenting I had
done with the pc-shell published recently on the net, but it might well
have been the Frac game. Assuming the date had been reset to 1/1/80, that
means the reset occurred 6 days before Sunday, which is before the game was
published (I think, but our articles expire quickly). Checking the directories
that I created to store the game and to archive it, I think my system date
was reset to 4 Jan 1980, rather than 1 Jan 1980, but even so...

I will not run the game again!

PS. I am using a 16MHz 386 clone made by Philips (P3302) running MS-DOS 3.3
Leo Vermeulen, Philips TDS, Stockholm, Sweden            |   This is an       |
               (uucp:  ..!uunet!mcsun!sunic!spocm2!lhv)  |   empty box        |
-------------- (voice: + (46) 8 782 1081) ---------------+--------------------|

rspangle@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Randy Spangler) (03/05/90)

Well, I ran frac a few times - not too thrilled with it, personally
(blockout is much better).

My system clock is still set correctly.

Micronics 386/16MHz running DOS 3.3

|    Randy Spangler                    |    The less things change, the    |
|    rspangle@jarthur.claremont.edu    |    more they remain the same      |

FRAC did not reset the system clock on the system on which I tried it,
nor on a "real AT." Don't know exectly what *that's* worth.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX
    moderator of comp.binaries.ibm.pc
"Getting old is bad, but it beats the hell out of the alternative" -anon

kdq@demott.COM (Kevin D. Quitt) (03/07/90)

    No problems that I've found with frac on several different machines.
The time loss must either be coincidental or accidental.

    On the other hand, I think bitplane created a system hidden
directory called DELETED with some of my files in it. (Apparently copied,
no actually deleted).

kdq
--

Kevin D. Quitt                          Manager, Software Development
DeMott Electronics Co.                  VOICE (818) 988-4975