[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Telix/PCPlus differences

" Seaman) (03/17/90)

bob@omni.com (Bob Weissman) writes:
< Is there anybody out there who can save us all a lot of bother by
< succinctly enumerating the differences between Telix and Procomm Plus?
<

I've used Procomm Plus for about a year and a half.  Personally, I like
Telix better.  The scripting language seem much more powerful.  Procomm's
language is interpreted, slow, and in many other ways similar to BASIC.
This is a plus for novices.  Salt (the Telix script language) has much
of the flavor of 'C'.  You can create your own functions, declare different
type of variables, pass functions as arguments to other functions, etc.
To write a script in Salt requires 2-3 times the number of instructions
than Procomm requires, but in turn offers much more subtle control.  Salt
is also a compiled language, making the scripts execute mush more quickly
than Procomm

As someone else already mentioned, Procomm emulates more terminals than
Telix, but I have never found any use for anything other that VT102 and
ANSI-BBS modes anyway, both of which Telix supports.

Both have similar Dialing directory philosophies, allowing multiple
directories on disk.  Procomm allows a maximum of 200 entries per
directory file, while Telix allows 1000.  I also found the directory
manipulation tools in Telix easier to use (inserting, editing, deleting
entries, etc.).

Telix supports about the same file transfer protocols as Procomm, and
can support up to 4 external protocols.  The most important addition,
however, is internal Zmodem support, with the ability to resume
interrupted file transfers.

Telix also offers a 43 and 50 line mode for EGA/VGA users, and it appears
to work quite well.

It seems that, aside from Zmodem support, the above mentioned video mode
support, and the scripting language, Procomm Plus and Telix are VERY
similar.  I feel that these added features make Telix a better product.
Your mileage may vary.

--
Chris (Insert phrase here) Seaman |    /--\
crs@cpsc6a.att.com <or>           |   |    |         "This is as real as

dmm0t@hudson.acc.virginia.edu (David M. Meyer) (03/19/90)

>Telix supports about the same file transfer protocols as Procomm, and
>can support up to 4 external protocols.  The most important addition,
>however, is internal Zmodem support, with the ability to resume
>interrupted file transfers.

Another very nice feature Telix has:  it will recognize the beginning of
a Zmodem file transfer and start downloading automatically.  You don't
need to even tell it to prepare to receive a file.  While this isn't a
big thing, it's one of the small touches which makes Telix a really
nice program to use.