[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] QEDIT208.ARC on SIMTEL20

btrue@emdeng.Dayton.NCR.COM (Barry.True) (03/16/90)

In article <7107@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM> keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) writes:
>:-) ).  I would have sent the request as follows:
>
>	/PDGET PD:<MSDOS.EDITOR>QEDIT208.ARC ( UUENCODE.

I've never used this on any of the other archives that I've pulled off the
listserver before and haven't had any problems retrieving archives and the
documentation that I got from the nodak listserver through GET PDGET HELP
doesn't mention anything about it. What is it used for?

keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (03/19/90)

In article <277@emdeng.Dayton.NCR.COM> btrue@emdeng.UUCP (Barry.True) writes:
>In article <7107@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM> keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) writes:
>>:-) ).  I would have sent the request as follows:
>>
>>	/PDGET PD:<MSDOS.EDITOR>QEDIT208.ARC ( UUENCODE.
>>
>I've never used this on any of the other archives that I've pulled off the
>listserver before and haven't had any problems retrieving archives and the
>documentation that I got from the nodak listserver through GET PDGET HELP
>doesn't mention anything about it. What is it used for?

Quoting from the help file I received from the nodak listserver:

     /PDGET <format> filename < ( option>   Requests files from the Simtel20
                                    archives.  Format may be NETDATA, PUNCH
                                    or MAIL.  Option may be UUENCODE or
                                    TRANSLATE.

The use of the "<" and ">" characters in the command versus the way the
filename is specified is confusing:  the filename part of the request is
enclosed between "<" and ">" characters, and I don't included a "<format>"
specification in my requests.

I've never tried a request without the "( UUENCODE" option from nodak,
although I _don't_ use it with requests from the rpi server.  Just some of
the ignorant, blind following of instructions on my part, I guess.

kEITHe