[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Universal File Find Utility

fredf@microsoft.UUCP (Fred FREELAND) (03/21/90)

I've seen a program that searches a drive for a named file. I've also seen
a program that does the same thing while peering into .ARC files for any
occurrence of the named file. I've even seen a program that will search all
available drives for the occurrence of the named file.

What I'm looking for is a program that will search one or more drives, that
will also examine .ARC, .LZW, .ZIP, and .ZOO files for the occurrence of
a named file.

If anyone can steer me in the direction of a program that performs this handy
little operation, I'd be eternally grateful. I'd prefer shareware, but I'm
not adverse to reasonably priced commercial software.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. To CPIB Moderator:

	Sorry I couldn't find the .d key on my computer when I first posted
	this. I realized my mistake just after I pressed Enter for the last
	time.

--
Frederick F. Freeland Jr.                        "Of all the things I've lost,  Microsoft Corporation                               I miss my mind the most!"   One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052 (206) 882-8080                                                                                                                                internet: fredf@,microsoft.beaver.washington.EDU                                arpanet:  fredf%microsoft@uw-beaver.ARPA

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (03/21/90)

In article <53646@microsoft.UUCP> fredf@microsoft.UUCP (Fred FREELAND) writes:

>What I'm looking for is a program that will search one or more drives, that
>will also examine .ARC, .LZW, .ZIP, and .ZOO files for the occurrence of
>a named file.

Try /pc/pd2/where35.zip at chyde.uwasa.fi by anonymous ftp.

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

In article <53646@microsoft.UUCP> fredf@microsoft.UUCP (Fred FREELAND) writes:

| What I'm looking for is a program that will search one or more drives, that
| will also examine .ARC, .LZW, .ZIP, and .ZOO files for the occurrence of
| a named file.

  WHile you're dreaming, find one which is fast and doesn't need much
memory to run. Then send me a copy to post when you get it.

| P.S. To CPIB Moderator:
|
| 	Sorry I couldn't find the .d key on my computer when I first posted
| 	this. I realized my mistake just after I pressed Enter for the last
| 	time.

  No problem. I get enough non-binary postings there to keep me numb to
an honest mistake.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX
    moderator of comp.binaries.ibm.pc
"Getting old is bad, but it beats the hell out of the alternative" -anon