[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] telix bugs

linden@natasha.fwi.uva.nl (Onno van der Linden) (03/20/90)

 Hi,

 Someone recently wrote that setting destructive backspace to OFF in the Telix
terminal setup menu would allow vi to work properly and not mess up the
characters on the line when going left with the cursor.
 He was right,BUT,although I had saved the setup and destbs=off appeared in
telix.cnf,when I entered the terminal setup menu after executing telix again,
the destructive backspace was ON.
 Then I remembered de telix bugs file I had deleted a couple of weeks ago.As
far as I rember it described three bugs:
1. Destructive backspace setting isn't depending on what's in telix.cnf.
2. A bug in a SALT function
3. A bug in some other SALT function.
 It also said that the EXIS-BBS had a telix.exe with a date after Nov 30 1989,
which had these bugs fixed.

 This is about 3.12,can someone tell me if I'm right on this one?

Onno van der Linden
linden@fwi.uva.nl

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (03/21/90)

In article <542@fwi.uva.nl> linden@natasha.fwi.uva.nl (Onno van der Linden) writes:
> Someone recently wrote that setting destructive backspace to OFF in the Telix
>terminal setup menu would allow vi to work properly and not mess up the
>characters on the line when going left with the cursor.
> He was right,BUT,although I had saved the setup and destbs=off appeared in
>telix.cnf,when I entered the terminal setup menu after executing telix again,
>the destructive backspace was ON.
> Then I remembered de telix bugs file I had deleted a couple of weeks ago.As
... rest deleted ...

This problem can be best resolved by writing a simple Telix script
that makes the switch and execute it at runtime (alt-g).  The key
variables for the script are
  _swap_bs = 1;
  _dest_bs = 0;
Experiment a bit, and you will get it right.

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

weisen@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Neil Weisenfeld) (03/21/90)

In article <542@fwi.uva.nl> linden@natasha.fwi.uva.nl (Onno van der Linden) writes:

> Hi,
>
> Someone recently wrote that setting destructive backspace to OFF in the Telix
>terminal setup menu would allow vi to work properly and not mess up the
>characters on the line when going left with the cursor.
> He was right,BUT,although I had saved the setup and destbs=off appeared in
>telix.cnf,when I entered the terminal setup menu after executing telix again,
>the destructive backspace was ON.

1. I'm glad that my suggestion was correct.
2. This is why I use MS-Kermit for dealing with my UNIX toys.  I would love
to use Telix if anyone figures this out.

Neil

| | Neil Weisenfeld              |  InterNet: weisen@eniac.seas.upenn.edu | |
|O| Univ. of Pennsylvania        |                                        |O|
| | Computer and Info Sciences   |  USPS:       3700 Spruce St. Box 572   | |
|O| Class of 1991                |              Philadelphia, PA  19104   |O|
| |                                                                       | |
|O| "It's so simple, maybe you need a refresher course!"                  |O|
| |             -If you don't know who said it, you don't deserve to.     | |

jmd@usenet.umr.edu (Jim Dumser) (03/21/90)

In article <21956@netnews.upenn.edu> weisen@eniac.seas.upenn.edu.UUCP (Neil Weisenfeld) writes:
>In article <542@fwi.uva.nl> linden@natasha.fwi.uva.nl (Onno van der Linden) writes:
>> Someone recently wrote that setting destructive backspace to OFF in the Telix
>>terminal setup menu would allow vi to work properly and not mess up the
>>characters on the line when going left with the cursor.
>> He was right,BUT,although I had saved the setup and destbs=off appeared in
>>telix.cnf,when I entered the terminal setup menu after executing telix again,
>>the destructive backspace was ON.
>
>1. I'm glad that my suggestion was correct.
>2. This is why I use MS-Kermit for dealing with my UNIX toys.  I would love
>to use Telix if anyone figures this out.

Telix has a "default" setup -- that's what you change when you change the
setup.  But there's also the individual setups for each entry in the dialing
directory.  I've never used Telix on a direct connection, so I don't know if
you even use a dial entry to do that.  Telix may not go back to the
"default" after making a call that changes those defaults, but if you have
each entry setup correctly, this won't cause a problem.

Jim

|  The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge,  |
| but fools despise wisdom and discipline. Proverbs 1:7 |
|-------------------------------------------------------|
|    Internet: jmd@ee.umr.edu     |  M S - D O S . . .  |
|    UUCP: ...uunet!umree!jmd     |    Just say "NO!"   |

rwh@me.utoronto.ca (Russ Herman) (03/22/90)

In article <1990Mar20.160404.17787@uwasa.fi> ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) writes:
>This problem can be best resolved by writing a simple Telix script
>that makes the switch and execute it at runtime (alt-g).  The key
>variables for the script are
>  _swap_bs = 1;
>  _dest_bs = 0;

One great thing about TELIX's SALT language is that you can write scripts
that call other scripts as subroutines.  Therefore I have two flavours of
setup configurations:

	UNXINIT.SLT:
		main()
		{
		    _swap_bs	  = 1;
		    _dest_bs	  = 0;
		    _zmod_auto	  = 0;
		    _asc_rcrtrans = 1;
		    _asc_rlftrans = 2;
		    _asc_scrtrans = 1;
		    _asc_slftrans = 0;
		    _asc_striph   = 0;
		    _asc_slpacing = 0;
		}
and
	DOSINIT.SLT:
		main()
		{
		    _swap_bs	  = 0;
		    _dest_bs	  = 1;
		    _zmod_auto	  = 1;
		    _asc_rcrtrans = 0;
		    _asc_rlftrans = 0;
		    _asc_scrtrans = 0;
		    _asc_slftrans = 0;
		    _asc_striph   = 0;
		    _asc_slpacing = 0;
		}

These are invoked from the connect scripts of whatever type of system I'm
logging into.

Russ Herman
INTERNET: rwh@me.utoronto.ca  UUCP: ..uunet!utai!me!rwh