[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] OS/2 vs. Unix

jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) (02/26/90)

>The problem with OS/2 is that it is simply Unix reimplemented.  And as Henry
>Spencer point out, "those who don't understand Unix are doomed to reinvent
>it, poorly".

I like that.  In fact the discussion of operating systems really boils down
to a comparison of OS/2 and Unix.  I think it is worthwhile to do so (but
maybe not on this newsgroup).

>Now, if you were a software developer, and you had the resources to make
>your program work under Unix or OS/2, but not both, which would you choose?
>An OS that runs only on 286es, or an OS that runs on 286s AND everything else
>imaginable (and a few that aren't).

The answer to this is not as clear-cut as you might think.  It all depends
on which platform your customer base is on.  It depends on what type of
application it is.  If it is GUI-based, then you have even more variables
to consider.

OS/2 is not just for 286's.  It isn't 386-specific, if that is what you mean.

While Unix is available on practically all hardware platforms, there aren't
many Unix boxes sitting on people's desks.  But there are a lot of potentially
OS/2 boxes on people's desks.  If you want to sell a program from Egghead
Software for Unix, you've either got to sell source code in c, or else sell
binaries for each different flavor of hardware and Unix out there.  And then
ask Joe User to compile your program on his Unix system.  On on OS/2 system
he would have just one version to select from at the store, and he would
have it installed and running with a lot less trouble.

Or to put it another way, if you were Joe User, and had a choice between
Unix and OS/2 which would you buy?

I'm sorry to keep this discussion going on this group.  I shall refrain
from further comments.

--
John Dudeck                           "You want to read the code closely..."
jdudeck@Polyslo.CalPoly.Edu             -- C. Staley, in OS course, teaching

AMillar@cup.portal.com (Alan DI Millar) (03/13/90)

>One of the problems with Unix on a PC is this:
>
>  Who on Earth needs a multi-user PC?
>
>A multi-user NeXT, I can understand, but a PC?  Why?

What makes a 386 in IBM pc hardware any different that a 386 in a Sun 386i?
And apparently you haven't seen any of the 486 machines yet  :-)

- Alan Millar

phil@pepsi.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (03/15/90)

In article <7989@sdcsvax.UCSD.Edu> velasco@beowulf.UCSD.EDU (Gabriel Velasco) writes:
|It's true that one of the things that has made UNIX so popular is the way that
|it handles multiple users, but this is not the only thing.  History mechanisms,

Be serious. I use both DOS and Unix daily and I have a much better
history mechanism on DOS than I do on Unix.

|job control with backgrounding, programming interface, are just a few more

I have job control and backgrounding too. You don't HAVE to have Unix
to do this.

--
Phil Ngai, phil@amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
Boycott the census! With the history of abuse census data has,

mollers.pad@nixpbe.uucp (Moellers) (03/15/90)

CMH117@psuvm.psu.edu (Charles Hannum) writes:

>One of the problems with Unix on a PC is this:

>  Who on Earth needs a multi-user PC?

>A multi-user NeXT, I can understand, but a PC?  Why?

I agree! Who needs PCs anyhow? They're ancient, their architectural
evolution is blocked by memories of days gone by. Any development of
PCs and their software will have to be compatible with 10 64K segments,
irrespectable of whether the CPU is an 8086 with (max.) 16 Segments of
64KB each or an 80386 with n segments of 4 GB each! (I have heard the
rumor that Microsoft was forced by IBM to reduce the functionality of
MS-Windows in order for it to be runnable under MESSDOS.

But, let's face it:
- There is a LOT OF software (especially games) out there running
  under MESSDOS.
- There are MESSDOS-emulators (VP/ix, MERGE-368) that allow You to run
  this SW under UNIX.

Personally, I would prefer an NS32k based system. That CPU is fully
upward and downward compatible within it's family! Ce la vie!

Josef Moellers				      |	c/o Nixdorf Computer AG
 USA: uunet!philabs!linus!nixbur!mollers.pad  |	Abt. DX-PC
!USA: mcvax!unido!nixpbe!mollers.pad	      |	Pontanusstr
Phone: (+49) 5251 146245		      |	D-4790 Paderborn

srg@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (Steven R Gerber) (03/15/90)

In article <29499@amdcad.AMD.COM> phil@pepsi.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) writes:
>In article <7989@sdcsvax.UCSD.Edu> velasco@beowulf.UCSD.EDU (Gabriel Velasco) writes:
>|It's true that one of the things that has made UNIX so popular is the way that
>|it handles multiple users, but this is not the only thing.  History mechanisms,
>
>Be serious. I use both DOS and Unix daily and I have a much better
>history mechanism on DOS than I do on Unix.
	Did you mean you're using an additional utility (4DOS, stack, etc.)?
	If you mean the regular F3 etc., you gotta be kidding!

>|job control with backgrounding, programming interface, are just a few more
>
>I have job control and backgrounding too. You don't HAVE to have Unix
>to do this.
	True.  You can kludge this (Windows, DesqView, etc.).
	But FACE IT: MS-DOS just plain ain't got it.
	I don't want to do back-flips to code.  BTW, have you every programmed
	for Windows?  It's a real pain-in-the-ass and the SDK is expensive.

>--
>Phil Ngai, phil@amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
>Boycott the census! With the history of abuse census data has,
>do you really trust the government?

*	Steven R. Gerber - PAL (Programmer At Large)
*	srg@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu
*	Tel:	212-794-8721
*	UUCP:	...rutgers!columbia!cunixd!srg
*	FAX:	212-794-8721

schaut@cat9.cs.wisc.edu (Rick Schaut) (03/16/90)

What about multi-processing (not multi-tasking which both systems can do,
and not multi-user which is the UNIX flavor)?  How do the two systems
compare in a multi-processor environment?

UNIX is exclusively designed to work with losely coupled CPU's (i.e. it's
pretty good for a network) but you can't put it on a system with tightly
coupled CPU's without adding some extensions (ask the people at Cray).

OS/2, on the other hand, has the ability to spin off multiple threads;
exactly the feature one needs to take advantage of a couple of different
CPU's which have access to the same memory.  Also, in conjunction with
the Lan Manager, OS/2 gets the ability to work well with loosely coupled
CPU's as well.

So, in the ability to handle future hardware, score: OS/2 1, UNIX 1/2
In a world of multi-processor workstations and distributed processing
facilities (where multi-user capabilties aren't necessary) it looks as
though OS/2 would be the operating system of choice.

--
Rick (schaut@garfield.cs.wisc.edu)

"I'm a theory geek; we use Turing machines!"--Gary Lewandowski

In article <90070.224516DLV101@psuvm.psu.edu> DLV101@psuvm.psu.edu (Dwaine VanBibber) writes:
| A lot of people need a multi-user PC!!

Well, give me a for-instance.

One interesting development within the department here at UW is that large
multi-user machines are being replaced by networked workstations with
distributed processing facilities.  Where in such an environment do I need
multi-user capabilities?

| I agree with one of the previous opinions that OS/2 is just Unix reinvented.
| Its not really necessary. You can run existing DOS applications on a Unix
| box..more than one at a time also..which you can't do with OS/2.

Show me a _standard_ version of UNIX that can handle tightly coupled CPU's
in a multi-processor workstation.  OS/2 is most definitely _not_ UNIX
reinvented.

| They should have just developed a REALLY GOOD GUI (PM or even NeXTStep) to run
| ontop of Unix.  And they ought to ship the damned development tools with it,
| as Sun does with Openwindows.

If I have 30 workstations for 20 users and 10 developers, you would have
me paying for the "damned development tools" for the 20 workstations being
used by people who aren't doing any development.  It's a good thing you don't
run a business.  You'd run it into the ground.

--

malloy@nprdc.arpa (Sean Malloy) (03/16/90)

In article <4473@daffy.cs.wisc.edu> schaut@cat9.cs.wisc.edu (Rick Schaut) writes:
>UNIX is exclusively designed to work with losely coupled CPU's (i.e. it's
>pretty good for a network) but you can't put it on a system with tightly
>coupled CPU's without adding some extensions (ask the people at Cray).

>OS/2, on the other hand, has the ability to spin off multiple threads;
>exactly the feature one needs to take advantage of a couple of different
>CPU's which have access to the same memory.  Also, in conjunction with
>the Lan Manager, OS/2 gets the ability to work well with loosely coupled
>CPU's as well.

>So, in the ability to handle future hardware, score: OS/2 1, UNIX 1/2
>In a world of multi-processor workstations and distributed processing
>facilities (where multi-user capabilties aren't necessary) it looks as
>though OS/2 would be the operating system of choice.

Unix gets 1/2 because it works well with loose-coupled CPUs but needs
an extension to work with tightly-coupled CPUs. OS/2 gets 1 because it
works well with tightly-coupled CPUs but needs an extension to work
with loosely-coupled CPUs. Is there some kind of bias here you're not
telling us about?

I would give each of them 1/2 for only handling one of the
configurations, and then hand OS/2 a bit more for having LAN Manager
more conveniently available. Then I'd take a bunch back because OS/2 is
designed for a single processor architecture, and some more because it
doesn't handle it right (only one 'DOS compatibility box' thread
running at one time, for example).

When OS/2 runs on something other than 80[234]86 machines, it's going
to be a serious competitor for future operating systems; as long as
it's architecture-specific, regardless of how well it runs on that
architecture, it's still a dodo.

 Sean Malloy                                   | "The Crystal Wind is the
 Navy Personnel Research & Development Center  | Storm, and the Storm is Data,
 San Diego, CA 92152-6800                      | and the Data is Life."
 malloy@nprdc.navy.mil                         | -- _Emerald Eyes_, D.K. Moran

phil@pepsi.amd.com (Phil Ngai) (03/16/90)

In article <1990Mar15.152746.21025@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> srg@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (Steven R Gerber) writes:
|>Be serious. I use both DOS and Unix daily and I have a much better
|>history mechanism on DOS than I do on Unix.
|	Did you mean you're using an additional utility (4DOS, stack, etc.)?
|	If you mean the regular F3 etc., you gotta be kidding!

Yes, I have some additional utilities on DOS. I do on Unix too,
things like readnews, emacs, ksh, etc.

|>I have job control and backgrounding too. You don't HAVE to have Unix
|>to do this.
|	True.  You can kludge this (Windows, DesqView, etc.).
|	But FACE IT: MS-DOS just plain ain't got it.

I refuse to accept comparisons of DOS without any utilities unless
you also look at Unix without utilities like csh, X, etc.

|	I don't want to do back-flips to code.  BTW, have you every programmed
|	for Windows?  It's a real pain-in-the-ass and the SDK is expensive.

Have you ever programmed for X?

Are you saying Unix is not expensive?

--

pml@cacs.usl.edu (Patrick M. Landry) (03/16/90)

In article <4475@daffy.cs.wisc.edu> schaut@cat9.cs.wisc.edu (Rick Schaut) writes:
>In article <90070.224516DLV101@psuvm.psu.edu> DLV101@psuvm.psu.edu (Dwaine VanBibber) writes:
>| A lot of people need a multi-user PC!!
>Well, give me a for-instance.
>One interesting development within the department here at UW is that large
>multi-user machines are being replaced by networked workstations with
>distributed processing facilities.  Where in such an environment do I need
>multi-user capabilities?

You need the concept of multiple users as soon as you want to share things.
Access permissions kinda rely on the OS
having the notion of "other users". This goes for sharing the machines,
files, etc. This is one of the biggest problems
with networking a bunch of DOS boxes together; its damned hard to share things
even though that's what the net is presumably for.
>--
>Rick (schaut@garfield.cs.wisc.edu)
>
>"I'm a theory geek; we use Turing machines!"--Gary Lewandowski
pad
pad
pad
pad
pad
--
patrick
pml@cacs.usl.edu

wallwey@boulder.Colorado.EDU (WALLWEY DEAN WILLIAM) (03/16/90)

In article <6508@skinner.nprdc.arpa> malloy@nprdc.arpa (Sean Malloy) writes:
>I would give each of them 1/2 for only handling one of the
>configurations, and then hand OS/2 a bit more for having LAN Manager
>more conveniently available. Then I'd take a bunch back because OS/2 is
>designed for a single processor architecture, and some more because it
>doesn't handle it right (only one 'DOS compatibility box' thread
>running at one time, for example).
>
>When OS/2 runs on something other than 80[234]86 machines, it's going
>to be a serious competitor for future operating systems; as long as
>it's architecture-specific, regardless of how well it runs on that
>architecture, it's still a dodo.
>

> Sean Malloy                                   | "The Crystal Wind is the
> Navy Personnel Research & Development Center  | Storm, and the Storm is Data,
> San Diego, CA 92152-6800                      | and the Data is Life."
> malloy@nprdc.navy.mil                         | -- _Emerald Eyes_, D.K. Moran

OS/2 ver 2.0 is supposed to handle multiple 'DOS compatibility boxes'
and with a lot more safety due to it use of the Virtual Machine modes
provided by the 80386.  Of course it will require a 80386.

Another thing, check out the latest version OS/2 with LAN Manager from
Compaq (sp?) that is written for the System Pro (tm). It is designed to
use two 80386's or 80486's when the cards come out this summer.  There
are reviews in the latest PC Magazine and Byte magazines about the
System Pro and they talk a little about the LAN Manager written for it.

One last thing, rumor has it that Bill Gates is trying to get OS/2
rewritten in C so that it can be easily transported to new machines.

	Dean Wallwey

velasco@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Gabriel Velasco) (03/16/90)

schaut@cat9.cs.wisc.edu (Rick Schaut) writes:
>Well, give me a for-instance.

>One interesting development within the department here at UW is that large
>multi-user machines are being replaced by networked workstations with
>distributed processing facilities.  Where in such an environment do I need
>multi-user capabilities?

In a "truely" distributed system, when you logged onto your workstation, you
would not know which workstation's cpu was taking care of you.  Your jobs would
be loaded onto whichever workstation had the lightest load.  The whole network
would act as a single, multiprocessor, multitasking, multiuser system.  This is
one of the goals of distributed systems research.

 <>___,     /             /  | ... and he called out and said, "Gabriel, give |
 /___/ __  / _  __  ' _  /   | this man an understanding of the vision."      |
/\__/\(_/\/__)\/ (_/_(/_/|_  |_______________________________________Dan_8:16_|

In article <18459@boulder.Colorado.EDU> wallwey@boulder.Colorado.EDU (WALLWEY DEAN WILLIAM) writes:

>>I would give each of them 1/2 for only handling one of the
>>configurations, and then hand OS/2 a bit more for having LAN Manager
>>more conveniently available.

AT&T is well on the way (if it isn't already out) to having an OS/2
LAN Manager compatible server running under unix - with extensions for
things like spooled printing back to the client PC's which their older
starlan DOS server provided.  Being unix based it will (a) run on
CPU's other than Intel's, and (b) maintain a concept of file ownership
for files stored on the server.  I'm not familiar with LAN manager -
can you make certain files writable by one user, readable by others?
Will it maintain the attributes if you back the files up and restore them
somewhere else?

>One last thing, rumor has it that Bill Gates is trying to get OS/2
>rewritten in C so that it can be easily transported to new machines.

Gee, I wonder where he got that idea?  Maybe he will add the user
and group id concept as well.

Les Mikesell
  les@chinet.chi.il.us

lws@comm.WANG.COM (Lyle Seaman) (03/17/90)

CMH117@psuvm.psu.edu (Charles Hannum) writes:

>One of the problems with Unix on a PC is this:

>  Who on Earth needs a multi-user PC?

>A multi-user NeXT, I can understand, but a PC?  Why?

So I can play xtank with all the members of my family, of course.

On a related note(?), the term PC was originally coined to refer to a
basically single-user machine, that just -happened- to have a
microprocessor CPU.  Now that PCs are going multi-user, when are we
going to dump the PC moniker, and start referring to these as simply
microcomputers (slightly more accurate)?

Followups to ??
--
Lyle                     sendmail.cf under construction, pardon the From:
lws@comm.wang.com        (or, uunet!comm.wang.com!lws)  (508) 967-2322

lws@comm.WANG.COM (Lyle Seaman) (03/17/90)

wallwey@boulder.Colorado.EDU (WALLWEY DEAN WILLIAM) writes:

>That's the whole reason for OS/2...To be a true multitasking operating
>system, with out the overhead of multiuser!

Actually, multiuser abilities don't add a whole lot of overhead to the
actual OS, though they do add a couple of necessary ancillary programs.
Multitasking is far costlier.

>I agree, multitasking is needed even though not obviously to the user.
>A good example of this is even a spread sheet.  It can calculate in the
>background, while printing out a sheet, while the user is moving around
>the screen all at the same time!

I'm not sure this is such a great example.  Any spreadsheet worth its
salt would do this on a singlethreaded OS.   This is all one application
and isn't terribly difficult to do.  A better example is the ability to
do away with TSRs and other klduges and write _real_ communicating
processes without a global shared address space.

>>     Actually, to sidetrack a bit - how well does OS/2 really multi-process?
>>Is it capable of keeping an accurate file transfer running in the background
>>using one serial port while another serial/parallel port is also in use?

>OS/2 can do a lot more than that if you have a machine with enough
>memory and speed.  To give an example... OS/2 can be downloading stock
>information into Excel (a super power spread sheet!), which updates one
>of its graph, which happens to be "hotlinked" into a PageMaker Document you
>are working on.  At the same time, a large C program can be compiling
>in the back ground, while another application is printing out.
>ALL AT THE SAME TIME!!!!!!!(if you have a fast system with LOTS of
>memory)

These examples are not nearly as useful as the original proposed example.
So I repeat:  Is it capable of keeping an accurate file transfer running
in the background using one serial port while another serial port is also
in use?

>>If
>>not, then OS/2 is little more than another crippled memory-hog operating
>>system - something to avoid.  It is too bad that a MS-DOS compatible machine
>>cannot be designed from the ground up to multitask - I had hoped that 386
>>machines would be capable of it.

>Don't confuse the operating system with machine!

RIGHT.

>286 machines and more importantly, 386 machines were designed for
>multitasking!

RIGHT.

>               MS-DOS wasn't!!!!!!!!! Thus OS/2 was created!!!!

WRONG.  I can't believe that OS/2 was created.  It shakes my faith
in a benevolent God.  OS/2 must simply have happened, one of those
inexplicable mysteries that plagues mankind.  Oh well, maybe I can
blame IBM...

Besides, OS/2 is just warmed-over MS-DOS.  I'd rather have TRS-DOS 4.0.

--

wallwey@boulder.Colorado.EDU (WALLWEY DEAN WILLIAM) (03/17/90)

In article <1990Mar16.155157.5431@chinet.chi.il.us> les@chinet.chi.il.us (Leslie Mikesell) writes:
>>One last thing, rumor has it that Bill Gates is trying to get OS/2
>>rewritten in C so that it can be easily transported to new machines.
>
>Gee, I wonder where he got that idea?  Maybe he will add the user
>and group id concept as well.
>
>Les Mikesell
>  les@chinet.chi.il.us

The new file system (HPFS) that comes with OS/2 is supposed to be a lot more
modifiable than that of *NIX.  It's supposed to be alot more "Object
oriented, with editable attributes".  So if you personally wanted to put
user and goup id's on the files go ahead, if you want to put ICON
symbols or anything else in the attributes, go ahead!  OS/2's file
system will actually be alot more versatile than *NIX's!

By the way, I think these are some of the features that LAN Manager (tm)
uses to make a lot more coherent network.

	Dean Wallwey

GILLA@QUCDN.QueensU.CA (Arnold G. Gill) (03/17/90)

In article <1990Mar16.222205.9749@comm.WANG.COM>, lws@comm.WANG.COM (Lyle
Seaman) says:

>wallwey@boulder.Colorado.EDU (WALLWEY DEAN WILLIAM) writes:
>
>>>If
>>>not, then OS/2 is little more than another crippled memory-hog operating
>>>system - something to avoid.  It is too bad that a MS-DOS compatible machine
>>>cannot be designed from the ground up to multitask - I had hoped that 386
>>>machines would be capable of it.
>
>>Don't confuse the operating system with machine!
>
>RIGHT.
>
>>286 machines and more importantly, 386 machines were designed for
>>multitasking!
>
>RIGHT.
     Sorry, I just can't buy that at all.  x86 chips may be designed for
multitasking, but the AT style machines that are being sold are not.  You
really want to redesign the machine from the ground up to be multitasking, and
these are not.  If you want to look at real multitasking PCs, the ones to
consider are the Amiga and possibly the Mac II.  It is likely that the Amiga
is still the best machine around, but because it doesn't have the Big Blue
label on it, and is only MS-DOS compatible after an extra card is added, it
doesn't have the exposure the IBM-PC family has.
-------
 -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
|  Arnold Gill                        |                                     |
|  Queen's University at Kingston     |     If I hadn't wanted it heard,    |
|  BITNET   : gilla@qucdn             |       I wouldn't have said it.      |
|  X-400    : Arnold.Gill@QueensU.CA  |                                     |
|  INTERNET : gilla@qucdn.queensu.ca  |                                     |
 -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

kdq@demott.COM (Kevin D. Quitt) (03/18/90)

In article <27830@cup.portal.com> AMillar@cup.portal.com (Alan DI Millar) writes:
>What makes a 386 in IBM pc hardware any different that a 386 in a Sun 386i?

    For one thing, it only has half the thruput of a Sun 386i.

kdq
--

Kevin D. Quitt                          Manager, Software Development
DeMott Electronics Co.                  VOICE (818) 988-4975

  "Next time, Jack, write a God-damned memo!" - Jack Ryan - Hunt for Red Oct.

jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) (03/18/90)

In article <1990Mar16.222205.9749@comm.WANG.COM> lws@comm.WANG.COM (Lyle Seaman) writes:
>>               MS-DOS wasn't!!!!!!!!! Thus OS/2 was created!!!!
>
>I can't believe that OS/2 was created.  It shakes my faith
>in a benevolent God.  OS/2 must simply have happened, one of those
>inexplicable mysteries that plagues mankind.  Oh well, maybe I can
>blame IBM...
>
>Besides, OS/2 is just warmed-over MS-DOS.  I'd rather have TRS-DOS 4.0.

I am really enjoying this discussion, because I have great hopes for OS/2's
future.  It *sounds like* everything I want in an OS for my 386.  But, on
the other hand, I was reminded recently by another netter of Frederick
Brooks' wisdom in the book, The Mythincal Man Month.  He has a chapter in
it entitled, "Self-Discipline--The Second-System Effect".

I quote:
  "An architect's first work is apt to be spare and clean.  He knows he
  doesn't know what he is doing, so he does it carefully and with great
  restraint.

  "As he designs the first work, frill after frill and embellishment
  after embellishment occur to him.  These get stored away to be used
  "next time".  Sooner or later the first system is finished, and the
  architect, with firm confidence and a demonstrated mastery of that
  class of systems is ready to build a second system.

  "This second system is the most dangerous system a man ever designs.
  When he does his third and later ones, his prior experiences will
  confirm each other...

  "The general tendency is to over-design the second system, using all
  the ideas and frills that were cautiously sidetracked on the first one.
  The result, as Ovid says, is a "big pile"."

Just looking at OS/2 it is hard to not think of it as being somebody's
"second system".

Still, I don't think that it is all that bad.  It's something with
tremendous potential, but the complexity is making it very difficult
to develop and really finish.  On the other hand, Unix is big and complex,
too, and it has taken a long time to get where it is.  But it started out
simple.

The difference is that Unix started off with a good design that
has lent itself to incremental evolutionary improvements without
destroying the design.  MS-DOS was a very poor place to start, and such
add-ons as Windows will never make it into a better system.  Hence the
impetus for OS/2.  OS/2 is not an evolutionary change to MS-DOS.  It
is a completely new system, with a "DOS compatibility" appendage.

What amazes me is that what most users seem to want from OS/2 is the
ability to use it as a multitasing DOS system.  Everyone seems to be
complaining that the current version only has *one* compatibility box.
The value of OS/2 is not in its compatibility box!

--
John Dudeck                           "You want to read the code closely..."
jdudeck@Polyslo.CalPoly.Edu             -- C. Staley, in OS course, teaching
ESL: 62013975 Tel: 805-545-9549          Tanenbaum's MINIX operating system.

{ note: I have put followup to comp.unix.questions, since this group has
nothing to do with unix OR os/2. I have sent many people notes asking
them to move the thread, hopefully people will cooperate.

In article <4473@daffy.cs.wisc.edu> schaut@cat9.cs.wisc.edu (Rick Schaut) writes:

| UNIX is exclusively designed to work with losely coupled CPU's (i.e. it's
| pretty good for a network) but you can't put it on a system with tightly
| coupled CPU's without adding some extensions (ask the people at Cray).

  Except for Solbourne running multicpu SunOS, someone (concetric?)
running multiprocessor SCO Xenix on the Zenith Z1000, Encore, Alliant,
Convex and Cray, etc. In short, your statement just isn't true.

| So, in the ability to handle future hardware, score: OS/2 1, UNIX 1/2
| In a world of multi-processor workstations and distributed processing
| facilities (where multi-user capabilties aren't necessary) it looks as
| though OS/2 would be the operating system of choice.

  OS/2 has threads. Many variants of UNIX do, too, although there isn't
a standard. UNIX allows multiple users, not only at once, but allows
multiple people to share a machine without depending solely on their
being willing and able to avoid causing each other problems.

  OS/2 doesn't have the concept of file ownership and protection, and
currently anyone can change process priorities. OS/2 is easily postable
to any Intel 80X86 CPU, unix is portable to any CPU with memory
management (and some without, more or less). OS/2 gives you your choice
of vendors of utilities, UNIX comes with utilities.

  OS/2 is the operating system of Intel and IBM's choice.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX
    moderator of comp.binaries.ibm.pc
"Getting old is bad, but it beats the hell out of the alternative" -anon

srg@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (Steven R Gerber) (03/18/90)

Preface:  This is not a flame war.
Phil, let's move the discussion though.  I just got some mail requesting we do.
Please e-mail me - I want to keep going.

In article <29511@amdcad.AMD.COM> phil@pepsi.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) writes:
>In article <1990Mar15.152746.21025@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> srg@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (Steven R Gerber) writes:
>|>Be serious. I use both DOS and Unix daily and I have a much better
>|>history mechanism on DOS than I do on Unix.
>|	Did you mean you're using an additional utility (4DOS, stack, etc.)?
>|	If you mean the regular F3 etc., you gotta be kidding!
>
>Yes, I have some additional utilities on DOS. I do on Unix too,
>things like readnews, emacs, ksh, etc.
>
>|>I have job control and backgrounding too. You don't HAVE to have Unix
>|>to do this.
>|	True.  You can kludge this (Windows, DesqView, etc.).
>|	But FACE IT: MS-DOS just plain ain't got it.
>
>I refuse to accept comparisons of DOS without any utilities unless
>you also look at Unix without utilities like csh, X, etc.
	I gotta take this one.  The difference here is the OS.
	Unix has multi-tasking built in - MS-DOS doesn't.
	This has nothing to do with the shell and/or utilities.
	BTW Specifically, MS-DOS is NOT re-entrant which makes
	multi-tasking VERY difficult.

>|	I don't want to do back-flips to code.  BTW, have you every programmed
>|	for Windows?  It's a real pain-in-the-ass and the SDK is expensive.
>
>Have you ever programmed for X?
	Yes.  It's a lot easier than Windows.  It's portable and it works.
	Windows and the SDK are almost constantly coming out with new
	versions which are incompatible with previous.

>Are you saying Unix is not expensive?
	Certainly it isn't at first.  But, after you add all YOUR
	utilities to MS-DOS the prices go up.  Let's take an
	example (possibly a bad one).  ESIX (Everex's unix) is
	~$600.00 US including X-Tools.  Just MS-Windows with the SDK
	is about that much.

>--
>Phil Ngai, phil@amd.com		{uunet,decwrl,ucbvax}!amdcad!phil
>Boycott the census! With the history of abuse census data has,
>do you really trust the government?

*	Steven R. Gerber - PAL (Programmer At Large)
*	srg@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu
*	Tel:	212-794-8721
*	UUCP:	...rutgers!columbia!cunixd!srg
*	FAX:	212-794-8722

In article <1990Mar17.220703.16933@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> srg@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (Steven R Gerber) writes:
| Preface:  This is not a flame war.
| Phil, let's move the discussion though.  I just got some mail requesting we do.
| Please e-mail me - I want to keep going.

  I have suggested comp.unix.questions, since not everyone gets
alt.religion.computers, although that group is just for discussions like
this.

kjh@pollux.usc.edu (Kenneth J. Hendrickson) (03/18/90)

In article <18459@boulder.Colorado.EDU> wallwey@boulder.Colorado.EDU (WALLWEY DEAN WILLIAM) writes:
>One last thing, rumor has it that Bill Gates is trying to get OS/2
>rewritten in C so that it can be easily transported to new machines.
>	Dean Wallwey

What language did they write OS/2 in?  Why wouldn't they write it in C?

P.S.	I used to have the utmost respect for Microsoft.  After learning
	unix a short time ago, I can now see that MS-DOS is a terrible
	kludge.  Why can't Microsoft just do it right: make the price on
	Xenix comparable to the price of MS-DOS, and let MS-DOS die the
	terrible death that it deserves?  God knows that Microsoft could
	make lots of money selling Xenix directly.  Just think of all
	the bucks that could be made selling Xenix to _everybody_, and
	selling _everybody_ new versions of software they already have
	that run under Xenix.

Ken Hendrickson N8DGN/6      kjh@usc.edu      ...!uunet!usc!pollux!kjh

wallwey@boulder.Colorado.EDU (WALLWEY DEAN WILLIAM) (03/19/90)

In article <1990Mar16.222205.9749@comm.WANG.COM> lws@comm.WANG.COM (Lyle Seaman) writes:
>These examples are not nearly as useful as the original proposed example.
>So I repeat:  Is it capable of keeping an accurate file transfer running
>in the background using one serial port while another serial port is also
>in use?

	Easily!!!

>Besides, OS/2 is just warmed-over MS-DOS.  I'd rather have TRS-DOS 4.0.

	At least from what I have read, OS/2 is completely different.
Its a much more "clean" operating system.  MS-DOS and even *NIX
are both very "kludgy", everything is a "hack job".  In OS/2, everything
is built right in the system.  I know these aren't very quantitative or
tangable judgements, but I think they are valid.

	Dean Wallwey

schaut@cat9.cs.wisc.edu (Rick Schaut) (03/21/90)

In article <6508@skinner.nprdc.arpa> malloy@nprdc.arpa (Sean Malloy) writes:
| Unix gets 1/2 because it works well with loose-coupled CPUs but needs
| an extension to work with tightly-coupled CPUs. OS/2 gets 1 because it
| works well with tightly-coupled CPUs but needs an extension to work
| with loosely-coupled CPUs. Is there some kind of bias here you're not
| telling us about?

Simply a bias towards standards (I _did_ use that word).  The LAN Manager
is a standardized add-on.  So far, AT&T hasn't published _anything_ that
will enable UNIX to handle tightly-coupled CPU's.  In that sense, the LAN
Manager is a part of OS/2 that users can opt not to buy.

--

chris@utgard.uucp (Chris Anderson) (03/22/90)

In article <4492@daffy.cs.wisc.edu> schaut@cat9.cs.wisc.edu (Rick Schaut) writes:
>Simply a bias towards standards (I _did_ use that word).  The LAN Manager
>is a standardized addon.  So far, AT&T hasn't published _anything_ that
>will enable UNIX to handle tightlycoupled CPU's.  In that sense, the LAN
>Manager is a part of OS/2 that users can opt not to buy.

What about 3b4000's?  They have tightly coupled CPU's and run SVR3.
This whole bit about tightly coupled CPU's is ridiculous...  There
are plenty of manufacturers out there who use unix on machines with
tightly coupled CPU's.  AT&T is *not* the last word in Unix.  Nor do
they define what Unix is or isn't.  That's one of the reasons that
OSF was created, to allow other manufacturers to have some say as
to what Unix "is".

Chris
--
| Chris Anderson  						       |
| QMA, Inc.		        email : {csusac,sactoh0}!utgard!chris  |

rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Kai-Uwe Rommel) (03/22/90)

Please keep this discussion about OS/2 vs. Unix out of this group.
When I look at the articles, many of you talking about how pretty Unix
is probably never used (or programmed !) an OS/2 system !

NOBODY wants to forbid you using Unix and NOBODY wants to enforce you to
use an OS/2 machine !

Well, besides this flame, here is my opinion: I favour OS/2 MUCH over
Unix (I work with Unix daily too, I know what I am talking about !)
because its much more modern than Unix. It has VERY fast console I/O,
all the things I need under Unix are available too. Over Unix it has
Dynamic linking (SCO Unix also has some shard libraries it but nobody
uses it) and it has threads (try to run several procedures in ONE
module, i.e one source text at the same time on the same data under
Unix :-). Compare the size of a non-trivial PM application to a "Hello
world!" for X11, then you will know what disk space dynamic linking
saves! And, most important for me, OS/2 has a well defined and very nice
programming interface !

And what about performance ? - I had a chance of testing both SCO Unix
and OS/2 1.1 on the same machine (386, 24 MHz, 8 MB RAM, 80 MB disk).
Although X11 runs very well on this machine, it is MUCH slower than the
OS/2 PM and even slower than MS-Windows on DOS. The file system was a
"AT&T fast file system" (am I right ?) which was even slower than a FAT
file system on doing an "rm -r" on a big tree.

Also SCO Unix hogs the whole 80 MB disk for system files and programs -
where OS/2 for the same functionality (with C compiler, lots of tools,
libraries and so on) occupies about 20-25 MB !

Kai Uwe Rommel
Munich
rommel@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de

lowey@herald.usask.ca (Kevin Lowey) (03/22/90)

From article <1990Mar15.152746.21025@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, by srg@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (Steven R Gerber):

>>Be serious. I use both DOS and Unix daily and I have a much better
>>history mechanism on DOS than I do on Unix.

> 	Did you mean you're using an additional utility (4DOS, stack, etc.)?
> 	If you mean the regular F3 etc., you gotta be kidding!

In OS/2 version 1.2, there is a history mechanism built in which works
similar to the popular CED utility for MS-DOS.  MUCH nicer than the stupid
"history" program in Unix.

>>I have job control and backgrounding too. You don't HAVE to have Unix
>>to do this.

> 	True.  You can kludge this (Windows, DesqView, etc.).
> 	But FACE IT: MS-DOS just plain ain't got it.
> 	I don't want to do back-flips to code.  BTW, have you every programmed
> 	for Windows?  It's a real pain-in-the-ass and the SDK is expensive.

I agree there, but the topic for this message is UNIX vs OS/2, not
UNIX vs MS-DOS.  OS/2 is a full pre-emptive multitasking operating system,
and not a kludge like most of the MS-DOS multitaskers.

OS/2 has a number of advantages over Unix for single user machines.  First
of all, it is designed for low powered machines like my IBM model 60 with
a 40M hard disk.  To get an equivalent Unix system, you would require not
only Unix, but also X-Window.  How well would that work on my Model-60?

This problem is compounded when you start adding more users on.  To get an
equivalent GUI interface, my model 60 would have to run unix with x-window
locally, and each of the other users would also have to run at LEAST an
X-Window terminal.  One X-Terminal costs the same as my model-60, with OS/2.

So why would I want to run 5 people off my model 60 using unix, when for the
same price I could have five independant machines, each dedicated to ONE user.
If I want, I can cheaply link these together with a LAN to get file sharing
and electronic mail abilities similar to what Unix offers.

Heck, if I want to, I can even get Usenet mail feeds on my OS/2 system!

- Kevin Lowey

schaut@cat9.cs.wisc.edu (Rick Schaut) (03/22/90)

Note the newsgroups and followup-to lines in the header.  I'm directing this
discussion to the newsgroup in which it belongs.

In article <1990Mar16.222205.9749@comm.WANG.COM> lws@comm.WANG.COM (Lyle Seaman) writes:
| wallwey@boulder.Colorado.EDU (WALLWEY DEAN WILLIAM) writes:
| [An example of OS/2 multi-tasking capabilties]
|
| These examples are not nearly as useful as the original proposed example.
| So I repeat:  Is it capable of keeping an accurate file transfer running
| in the background using one serial port while another serial port is also
| in use?

1) To whom are those examples "not nearly as useful"?  For the average user,
the ability to get information and use it at the same time is more important
than the ability to collect information from two different sources at the
same time.  You've assumed a context that may not be representative of the
way that most people use computers.

2) If you want to be able to, say, transfer a file and print another one at
the same time, I can do that with Windows on top of good old DOS (I just
did it!).  Better yet, with OS/2 on a tightly-coupled multiprocessor system,
I can do that and still have the _full_ capabilities of another processor
available for a third application I might want to run.  Neither the AT&T nor
the Berkely flavors of UNIX can handle tightly-coupled multi-processors.

| Besides, OS/2 is just warmed-over MS-DOS.  I'd rather have TRS-DOS 4.0.

Why don't you try using a system before flaming it?

--
Rick (schaut@garfield.cs.wisc.edu)

"I'm a theory geek; we use Turing machines!"--Gary Lewandowski

schaut@cat9.cs.wisc.edu (Rick Schaut) (03/22/90)

Note the newsgroups and followup-to lines in the header.  This discussion
belongs in c.s.i.p more than it belongs in c.b.i.p.d.

In article <1990Mar21.084532.11387@utgard.uucp> chris@utgard.uucp (Chris Anderson) writes:
| What about 3b4000's?  They have tightly coupled CPU's and run SVR3.
| This whole bit about tightly coupled CPU's is ridiculous...  There
| are plenty of manufacturers out there who use unix on machines with
| tightly coupled CPU's.  AT&T is *not* the last word in Unix.  Nor do
| they define what Unix is or isn't.  That's one of the reasons that
| OSF was created, to allow other manufacturers to have some say as
| to what Unix "is".

1) While one can make UNIX work on a tightly-coupled multi-processor system,
without multi-threading the system will not take full advantage of having
multiple processors.

2) While AT&T, Berkely, Sun, and a host of others decide on a standard
way to implement multi-threading in UNIX, I'll use good old standard OS/2.
I prefer not to wait for committees.  They are notoriously slow.

--

wallwey@boulder.Colorado.EDU (WALLWEY DEAN WILLIAM) (03/23/90)

In article <1990Mar22.000324.18577@dvinci.usask.ca> lowey@herald.usask.ca writes:
>OS/2 has a number of advantages over Unix for single user machines.  First
>of all, it is designed for low powered machines like my IBM model 60 with
>a 40M hard disk.  To get an equivalent Unix system, you would require not
>only Unix, but also X-Window.  How well would that work on my Model-60?
>
>- Kevin Lowey

Exactly!  I have a friend that has a 25MHz, cached 386 machine and
uses a 32-bit UNIX with X-windows on a 1024 x 768 SUPER VGA.  It really is
sad to see a $4500 machine have a $450 pc-xt performance!!!!!!

Dean Wallwey

neese@adaptex.UUCP (03/23/90)

>>OS/2 has a number of advantages over Unix for single user machines.  First
>>of all, it is designed for low powered machines like my IBM model 60 with
>>a 40M hard disk.  To get an equivalent Unix system, you would require not
>>only Unix, but also X-Window.  How well would that work on my Model-60?
>>
>Exactly!  I have a friend that has a 25MHz, cached 386 machine and
>uses a 32-bit UNIX with X-windows on a 1024 x 768 SUPER VGA.  It really is
>sad to see a $4500 machine have a $450 pc-xt performance!!!!!!

I really tried hard to stay out of this, but this was too much to take.  I
have run both OS/2 and UNIX.  To be usable, both require a lot of memory
and about the same amount of hard disk.  I can find no hardware resources
that the both don't need equal amounts of.  It is for this reason I will stick
with UNIX.  And if you get right down to it, you can do a lot more than
OS/2 can with XENIX on the same hardware.  I am talking about running
applications, which OS/2 has very few, but all of the ones that I have
used require a lot more memory than a XENIX application that does the
same function, maybe not as pretty, but just as functional.

And then you start adding stuff on top of both.  That is where things get
quite a bit different.  I can network UNIX systems together with about
4MB's of ram in my server.  It runs fine.  But OS/2 Lan Manager requires
4MB to boot and you shouldn't run with less than 8MB's of memory.  I know
memory is cheap, but it is just a comparison.

I am not pro OS/2 or pro UNIX.  I believe that both have a place in the
market.  It all depends on your needs.  For instance, I prefer UNIX for
development purposes, and I haven't quite found out why I need OS/2, but
that is just me.  The only reason I jumped into this fray, is due to
misinformation or misleading information.

			Roy Neese
			Adaptec Central Field Applications Engineer
			UUCP @ {texbell,attctc}!cpe!adaptex!neese
				merch!adaptex!neese
				uunet!swbatl!texbell!merch!adaptex!neese