[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Telemate 2.00A

sigma@pawl.rpi.edu (Kevin J Martin) (03/22/90)

Could someone who has Telemate put it up somewhere for FTP (simtel20 or
grape or uwasa), so we could get some independent reviews before putting
it on cbip?  I'm quite pleased with Telix in most respects, but I'm always
open to new possibilities.

Kevin Martin
sigma@pawl.rpi.edu

ggray@wpi.wpi.edu (Gary P Gray) (03/22/90)

In article <SAB#!J%@rpi.edu> sigma@pawl.rpi.edu (Kevin J Martin) writes:
>Could someone who has Telemate put it up somewhere for FTP (simtel20 or
>grape or uwasa), so we could get some independent reviews before putting
>it on cbip?  I'm quite pleased with Telix in most respects, but I'm always
>open to new possibilities.

It is already on simtel.  PD2:<MSDOS2.MODEM> TM200-1.ARC etc are the files
(I believe this to be the correct version, since the sencond file is
TM200-2A.ARC)

I tried it.  It's nice, but it has one major drawback in my opinion.  It runs
like molasses on my 4.77 Mhz XT. Actually, it's the terminal output that is so
slow, the editor and such pop up quite nicely, the mouse behaves great and so
forth, but the text from the modem is just to slow and "jumpy" for my taste.
I'd probably use it if I had a 12Mhz AT or maybe even a turbo XT.  Notice,
I only played with it an hour or so; when it became apparent that the terminal
emulator was slow I gave up on it, so don't take this as a very strong
endorsement.  I just think that this program is a viable alternative to using
a comm program and an editor under Windows or Desqview.

--
-- WARNING!!! The above opinions may be HAZARDOUS or FATAL if swallowed!!! --
This has only been a test. Had these      |  Gary Gray -- ggray@wpi.wpi.edu

george@shumv1.uucp (George Browning) (03/23/90)

In article <10029@wpi.wpi.edu> ggray@wpi.wpi.edu (Gary P Gray) writes:
>I tried it.  It's nice, but it has one major drawback in my opinion.  It runs
>like molasses on my 4.77 Mhz XT. Actually, it's the terminal output that is so
>slow, the editor and such pop up quite nicely, the mouse behaves great and so
>forth, but the text from the modem is just to slow and "jumpy" for my taste.
>I'd probably use it if I had a 12Mhz AT or maybe even a turbo XT.  Notice,

 	I've found the opposite on the machines I've tried.  Telemate seemed
a lot snappier in the terminal window than both Procomm and Qmodem,
although I've never tried it on a 4.77 machine.

                                             - Jeff
| George Browning                  North Carolina State University  |
| george@shumv1.ncsu.edu                               Raleigh, NC  |
|___________________________________________________________________|

w8sdz@smoke.BRL.MIL (Keith Petersen) (03/23/90)

In article <SAB#!J%@rpi.edu> sigma@pawl.rpi.edu (Kevin J Martin) writes:
>Could someone who has Telemate put it up somewhere for FTP (simtel20 or
>grape or uwasa), so we could get some independent reviews before putting
>it on cbip?  I'm quite pleased with Telix in most respects, but I'm always
>open to new possibilities.

Telemate 2.00A is already on SIMTEL20.

Directory PD2:<MSDOS2.MODEM>
 Filename   Type Length   Date    Description
TM200-1.ARC   B  115747  900113  TeleMate background comm with edit v2.00, 1of3
TM200-2A.ARC  B  228024  900113  TeleMate background comm with edit v2.00, 2of3
TM200-3.ARC   B  174146  900113  TeleMate background comm with edit v2.00, 3of3

Keith
--
Keith Petersen
Maintainer of SIMTEL20's MSDOS, MISC, & CP/M archives [IP address 26.2.0.74]

ash@mlacus.oz (Ash Nallawalla) (03/23/90)

I hope someone in North America can submit the above Canadian shareware
package to cbip, as I believe that it has many improvements over Telix,
such as: Local editor, ability to pick text and quote it into an outgoing
message (a la unix mailers), script learning mode, EMS support (registered
version only) etc. The main advantage is that the author actually replies to
mail. My PC user group arranged a bulk registration at a 40% discount, and to
date we got over 130 orders. By contrast, our response rate from the author
of telix has been poor. I am willing to elaborate in private mail but not here.
No doubt that Telix will catch up with Telemate and bypass it for a while, but
it is the better program. Note that version 2.00A is an update from 2.00, in
case you have the earlier version.

Our user group, like some others, encourages registration of shareware,
and often we get discounts. Even in the days when Vern Buerg's LIST utility
was true public domain we asked for donations from members and sent him about
US$600.  Some shareware authors don't play the game and don't acknowledge
registrations. I advise our group members not to register such software.

Ash Nallawalla, Editor PC Update, Melbourne PC User group Inc

Ash Nallawalla        Tel: +61 3 823-1959  Fax: +61 3 820-1434
ZL4LM/VK3CIT          Postal: P.O. Box 539, Werribee VIC 3030, Australia.

LC.YRS@forsythe.stanford.edu (Richard Stanton) (03/23/90)

In article <1990Mar22.164148.19865@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu>,
george@shumv1.uucp (George Browning) writes:
>        I've found the opposite on the machines I've tried.  Telemate seemed
>a lot snappier in the terminal window than both Procomm and Qmodem,
>although I've never tried it on a 4.77 machine.

This is not really relevant, but at least it's about the same
program. I have just tried TELEMATE (I think it's version 2.00,
since that's what the documentation says - I got it from SIMTEL). I
like the multitasking feature a lot. However, I shall continue to
use KERMIT as my main comm. program, as the VT102 terminal emulation
is better. Using a program called "SWING" on a VAX machine, which
produces straight lines on a true VT100 / VT102 or under KERMIT, I
found odd looking characters appearing on the screen when I tried
TELEMATE. I've also noticed this with the PCTOOLS VT102 emulation.

It looks like a lot of so-called VT100 / VT102 emulators are missing
something. KERMIT has never given me any problems at all.

Richard Stanton