[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Help on Multi-tasking PC

iskim@csun7.cs.uh.edu (InSik Kim) (03/21/90)

Dear PC users,

I am thinking upgrade my PC/AT clone to 386SX.

I want your comments and recommendations on this upgrade.

My questions are :

	1. What do I need to do multitasking?
		(min RAM/which OS/min HD size)
	2. Can I use all softwares written for 286/86/88 machines?
	3. Which part of hardware can be reused from 286?

Please reply. I will summarize and post it.
Thanks, in advance.

ke4zv@kd4nc.UUCP (Gary Coffman) (03/23/90)

The best way to upgrade a 286 to a multitasking machine is to

1) Buy a 386 motherboard (don't bother with the 386SX it's not that much
			 cheaper, and it IS much slower)
2) Install the motherboard.
3) Install a minimum of 2 Meg of RAM (4 would be better)
4) Plug all your accessory boards back in.
5) Make sure you have at least 40 Meg of disk
6) Install Interactive Unix with VPIX
7) Run as many concurrent DOS tasks as you wish while enjoying the power
   of Unix as well.

This system beats any OS/2 machine AND isn't restricted to ONE DOS
compatibility box.

The machine I am writing this on is a 33Mhz 386 with 387 and caching,
452 Megs of SCSI disk and 8 Meg of RAM. It benchmarks faster (much faster)
than a VAX780 and cost under $5000 from the ground up!

Gary Coffman

wallwey@boulder.Colorado.EDU (WALLWEY DEAN WILLIAM) (03/23/90)

In article <4138@kd4nc.UUCP> ke4zv@kd4nc.UUCP (Gary Coffman) writes:
>This system beats any OS/2 machine AND isn't restricted to ONE DOS
>compatibility box.

Exactly how does it beat OS/2. (Please respond by mail--This is not
the place for os wars-) By the way OS/2 Vers 2.0 (which will require a 386) will
not be restricted to ONE DOS compatibility box.

>The machine I am writing this on is a 33Mhz 386 with 387 and caching,
>452 Megs of SCSI disk and 8 Meg of RAM. It benchmarks faster (much faster)
>than a VAX780 and cost under $5000 from the ground up!

I am impressed!!

>Gary Coffman

Dean Wallwey