[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Kermit 3.0 problems with Novell

chris@utgard.uucp (Chris Anderson) (03/28/90)

I'm having some problems with MSKermit 3.0 that I was hoping that
people could shed some light on.  I'm using Kermit in server mode
to answer the modem and process file transfer commands to and from
a Novell Netware drive.

The kermit server is started off of the Netware drive (say, F:),
reads the mskermit.ini file there, and waits for dialins from the
local modem.

F:\KERMIT> cat mskermit.ini
set file type binary
set port 2
set speed 2400
set receive pack 1024
set send pack 1024
set incomplete keep
set file warning off

F:\KERMIT> kermit server

Remote systems call in and issue 'get' and 'send' commands of the
following forms:

	 send foo /bar/zap/foo

	 get
	 /bar/zap/foo
	 /tmp/foo2

Note that there are no drives specified.  This should attempt to
send the file 'foo' to the path 'F:\bar\zap\foo'.  And the second
command should retrieve the same file.

What happens is that kermit begins the transfer and aborts out with
"Rejecting file: File size" errors on the PC side.  This only happens
when trying to send a file to a network drive.  "Getting" a file from
a network drive works fine.  The drive is marked shareable read/write
for everybody.  The file is created, with a zero size, on the drive
before kermit errors out.

Does anybody have any idea what is going on here?  I can find nothing
in the documentation (for 2.32/A, 3.00 isn't out yet is it?) to
explain what could be going wrong.

Please reply by email, I'll summarize if there is enough interest.
Thanks in advance.

Chris
--
| Chris Anderson  						       |
| QMA, Inc.		        email : {csusac,sactoh0}!utgard!chris  |

jmerrill@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Confusion Reigns) (03/28/90)

In article <1990Mar27.110706.12895@utgard.uucp> chris@utgard.uucp (Chris Anderson) writes:
>Does anybody have any idea what is going on here?  I can find nothing
>in the documentation (for 2.32/A, 3.00 isn't out yet is it?) to
>explain what could be going wrong.

The only computer-readable documentation for 3.00 is the help file, the
update file, and the emulation information.  Full documentation is now only
available commercially; the book is :

(copied from the Kermit 3.00 READ.ME)

"Using MS-DOS Kermit" by Christine M.
Gianone, Digital Press (1990), DP ISBN 1-555558-048-3, PH ISBN
0-13-932476-3, Digital Press order number EY-C204E-DP.  You may order this
book from Digital Press in the USA by calling the toll-free number
1-800-343-8321.  A 5.25-inch MS-DOS Kermit 3.0 diskettte is packaged with
this book for convenience of distribution.

--
Jason Merrill				jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu
DISCLAIMER:  No disclaimer.  Sue me if you feel so inclined.