[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] Mskermit 3.00

cheung@bison.gatech.edu (Shun Yan Cheung) (03/19/90)

Anyone in netland knows where I can ftp a copy of mskermit for the PC ?
E-mail replies please. Greatly appreciated.

---
Shun Yan Cheung, Georgia Insitute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332
internet: cheung@bay.gatech.edu
uucp:    {akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!bay!cheung

srg@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (Steven R Gerber) (03/19/90)

In article <19686@mephisto.UUCP> cheung@bison.UUCP (Shun Yan Cheung) writes:

>Anyone in netland knows where I can ftp a copy of mskermit for the PC ?
>E-mail replies please. Greatly appreciated.
>
>---
>Shun Yan Cheung, Georgia Insitute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332
>internet: cheung@bay.gatech.edu
>uucp:    {akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!bay!cheung

Go to the source.  Kermit's home is watsun.cc.columbia.edu (128.59.39.2).

*	Steven R. Gerber - PAL (Programmer At Large)
*	srg@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu
*	Tel:	212-794-8721
*	UUCP:	...rutgers!columbia!cunixd!srg
*	FAX:	212-794-8722

In article <19686@mephisto.UUCP> cheung@bison.UUCP (Shun Yan Cheung) writes:

| Anyone in netland knows where I can ftp a copy of mskermit for the PC ?
| E-mail replies please. Greatly appreciated.

  It's on simtel20, but also in the queue. Just waiting for someone to
write a review.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX
    moderator of comp.binaries.ibm.pc
"Getting old is bad, but it beats the hell out of the alternative" -anon

gt1342a@prism.gatech.EDU (twinkie@large) (03/19/90)

>  It's on simtel20, but also in the queue. Just waiting for someone to
>write a review.
>bill davidsen - davidsen@sixhub.uucp (uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen)
>    moderator of comp.binaries.ibm.pc

Okay - quick review.  I've had MS-Kermit 3.0 for about two months now,
and I love it.  *I* haven't found any bugs, but then of course I use it
pretty conservatively.  It works over most PC networks (NETBIOS, Novell,
etc, but NOT tcp/ip), or at least claims to in the docs.  So far as file
transfer goes, WHOOSH (well, it's not Zmodem or anything, but hey! for
Kermit, this is SPEED (large packets, 20 windows.  Speed test)).  The
vt320 emulation seems pretty good, but I've only used it with a huge IBM
mainframe, not anything standard and sane %->.  Scripting language works
the same way, so no need to learn new tricks.  Friends of mine report
similar positive experiences.  *****. (well, they LOOK like stars, okay?)

chuck

--
Charles LeDuc | gt1342a@prism.gatech.edu | GT PoBox 31342a Atl GA 30332-1001 USA
NetMail 7301/203or516 | My dog likes to go for long walks - doesn't matter where

jmerrill@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Confusion Reigns) (03/19/90)

In article <7217@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt1342a@prism.gatech.EDU (doolb em reffo) writes:
>So far as file
>transfer goes, WHOOSH (well, it's not Zmodem or anything, but hey! for
>Kermit, this is SPEED (large packets, 20 windows.  Speed test)).

So add Zmodem!  Put these lines in your mskermit.ini:

define rz run dsz rz
define sz run dsz sz %1 %2;define %1;define %2

Kermit doesn't reset variables after they are used, so you have to reset
them manually to avoid sending the same file repeatedly...

--
Jason Merrill				jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu
DISCLAIMER:  What's there to disclaim?  I was RIGHT!

kjh@pollux.usc.edu (Kenneth J. Hendrickson) (03/20/90)

I have also had MS-Kermit 3.00 for a couple of months now.  I have been
using Kermit for only about a year, and I do have experience using both
Procomm and Qmodem.  In my opinion, the scripting language for Kermit is
comparitive to the other program's scripting languages.  The terminal
emulation of Kermit is _FAR SUPERIOR_ to the other programs.  The only
thing I miss is some kind of telephone directory in Kermit.  Since I
only call a limited number of systems, this is not too much of a
limitation for me.  In short, I really like Kermit, and I choose to use
it in preference to the above mentioned communication programs.

I think that Kermit has a significant advantage in that it is FREEware,
and source is available on the net by anon ftp if you want it.  No other
communication program that I am aware of can boast of these advantages.

P.S.	I have Telix, but I haven't had time (or the need) to try it out.

Ken Hendrickson N8DGN/6      kjh@usc.edu      ...!uunet!usc!pollux!kjh

ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) (03/20/90)

In article <23587@usc.edu> kjh@pollux.usc.edu (Kenneth J. Hendrickson) writes:
>I have also had MS-Kermit 3.00 for a couple of months now.  I have been
>using Kermit for only about a year, and I do have experience using both
>Procomm and Qmodem.  In my opinion, the scripting language for Kermit is
>comparitive to the other program's scripting languages.  The terminal
>emulation of Kermit is _FAR SUPERIOR_ to the other programs.  The only
>thing I miss is some kind of telephone directory in Kermit.  Since I
                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

But there is a telephone directory system for MsKermit.  It is
a script that is included in (/pc/ts/)tskerm24.arc available by
anonymous ftp from chyde.uwasa.fi.

Prof. Timo Salmi        (Moderating at anon. ftp site 128.214.12.3)

sek9424@cec1.wustl.edu (Scott Eric Keller) (03/21/90)

	Has anyone experienced any problems using extended packets with 3.00?
I have tried to receive 2000 byte packets from C-Kermit on the unix box here
and my end seems to ack mid-packet frequently. The throughput is not what it
should be either. Smaller packets work fine. Debug output shows that there
are no nacks or any other glitches. I get the impression that 3.00 may say
it is wanting to receive 2000 byte packets but only looking for 1000 bytes
like some of the earlier versions were limited to. Comments?

						Scott

--
    Scott Keller (KA0WCH) - Permanent Undergrad - Dept. of Computer Science
		Wa$hington Univer$ity - St. Louis, Mo. USA

news@usc.edu (USENET News) (03/21/90)

%	Has anyone experienced any problems using extended packets with 3.00?
From: kjh@pollux.usc.edu (Kenneth J. Hendrickson)

Yes.

%I have tried to receive 2000 byte packets from C-Kermit on the unix box here
%and my end seems to ack mid-packet frequently. The throughput is not what it
%should be either. Smaller packets work fine. Debug output shows that there
%are no nacks or any other glitches. I get the impression that 3.00 may say
%it is wanting to receive 2000 byte packets but only looking for 1000 bytes
%like some of the earlier versions were limited to. Comments?

I had the same problem.  I attribute it to not having a version of
C-Kermit on the unix box that correctly understands the 1000+ byte
packets.  I think that these versions of C-Kermit should be forthcoming
soon.  When it happens, make sure to harrass your friendly system
manager.

%						Scott
%
%    Scott Keller (KA0WCH) - Permanent Undergrad - Dept. of Computer Science
%		Wa$hington Univer$ity - St. Louis, Mo. USA
%Internet: sek9424@cec2.wustl.edu      UUCP:ihnp4!wucec2!sek9424 (I think...)
%   The opinions represented here are mine and mine alone, not Wa$h. U's.

Ken Hendrickson _N_8_D_G_N/6      kjh@usc.edu      ...!uunet!usc!pollux!kjh

  Okay, I have my review ;-) I am waiting for a patch file from Columbia
which corrects some minor problem.

  Here's a hint for you... Kermit will often work over a link which
includes TCP/IP if you set it to even parity. I have no idea why. Your
mileage may vary, void where prohibited by law.

In article <1990Mar20.094508.13189@uwasa.fi> ts@uwasa.fi (Timo Salmi LASK) writes:

| But there is a telephone directory system for MsKermit.  It is
| a script that is included in (/pc/ts/)tskerm24.arc available by
| anonymous ftp from chyde.uwasa.fi.

  Also available on any c.b.i.p archive. It was posted very recently.

jmerrill@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Confusion Reigns) (03/22/90)

In article <1990Mar21.044838.18358@cec1.wustl.edu> sek9424@cec2.wustl.edu (Scott Eric Keller) writes:

>	Has anyone experienced any problems using extended packets with 3.00?
>I have tried to receive 2000 byte packets from C-Kermit on the unix box here
>and my end seems to ack mid-packet frequently. The throughput is not what it
>should be either. Smaller packets work fine. Debug output shows that there
>are no nacks or any other glitches. I get the impression that 3.00 may say
>it is wanting to receive 2000 byte packets but only looking for 1000 bytes
>like some of the earlier versions were limited to. Comments?

Your problem is probably that the version of C-Kermit on your UNIX box
doesn't support > 1024 byte packets.  The most recent version I am aware of
is 4F(095), the 31 Aug 89 version, and it has a 1K maximum packetsize...

--
Jason Merrill				jmerrill@jarthur.claremont.edu
DISCLAIMER:  So kill me.

chaim@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Chaim Dworkin) (04/08/90)

In article <23587@usc.edu> kjh@pollux.usc.edu (Kenneth J. Hendrickson) writes:
>I have also had MS-Kermit 3.00 for a couple of months now.  I have been
>using Kermit for only about a year, and I do have experience using both
>Procomm and Qmodem.  In my opinion, the scripting language for Kermit is
>comparitive to the other program's scripting languages.  The terminal
>emulation of Kermit is _FAR SUPERIOR_ to the other programs.  The only
>thing I miss is some kind of telephone directory in Kermit.  Since I
>only call a limited number of systems, this is not too much of a
>limitation for me.  In short, I really like Kermit, and I choose to use
>it in preference to the above mentioned communication programs.

I am using Kermit 3.00 also but my kermit  HAS a dialing directory just
like the other programs mentioned above.  It also does X-Y-ZMODEM file
transfers if I want!  It just happens that the ini language (kermit script
language) is powerful enough that most anything you want to do can be
written into the mskermit.ini file.  My kermit also auto-redials if a busy
signal is received.  If you're interested in adding these features to your
kermit just ftp TSKERMxx.ARC from simtel20.  (the xx stand for the latest
version number which I think is 30)  Written by Timo Salmi of Finland,
the TSKERM file has a bunch of really useful examples of ini files.

Chaim