[comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d] screen saver on ATI VGA/Wonder crashes

maverick@watcsc.waterloo.edu (Marcel van de Vusse) (04/09/90)

I have an ATI VGA small wonder, which has the same option, and it works fine
except in MS Windows. In windows it will blank, but it won't bring the screen
back after pressing a key, so here is my solution to the problem:
  Use VSETUP to have screen save on when booting up the computer
  Start programs that cause problems with a batch file.
The batch file will look something like the following:
   VCONFIG save off
   WIN (or whatever command you need to start the program causing the problem)
   VCONFIG save on

I hope this helps...

Maverick (NOT the guy in Top Gun)

burton@mitisft.Convergent.COM (Philip Burton) (04/10/90)

In article <1990Apr9.071442.1705@watcsc.waterloo.edu> maverick@watcsc.waterloo.edu (Marcel van de Vusse) writes:
>I have an ATI VGA small wonder, which has the same option, and it works fine
>except in MS Windows. In windows it will blank, but it won't bring the screen
>back after pressing a key, so here is my solution to the problem:

I use a different screen saver with my IBM EGA card.  I have the same problem
when I run Windows.

My "solution" came by accident.  The NUMLOCK key works.

My configuration is DOS 3.3, MS Windows 2.1 (286 runtime with Excel), and
the public domain BURNOUT 2.3 or some such.  Has a settable delay, and blanking
can be forced with left shift-control keys.

--Phil Burton--